Copacabana Resort Mayan Riviera

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 03:01 PM
Kristine

Copacabana Resort Mayan Riviera

Looking for all the info that I can get my hands on for this resort from people who have actually been there. I have looked over the resort's website and looks like a nice place9don't they all) but firsthand knowledge always seem to put the "true" spin on things. Let me know the good, bad and/or the ugly on this place!

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 10:43 PM
Marian

We have stayed at this hotel for 2 days and 2 nights and requested a transfer ! --to Riu Yucatan which is within easy walking distance to Playa del Carmen. And we were very happy afterwards with our decision. The hotel itself is OK, however, far from the "five stars" they advertise. It is very secluded and it takes about 20 to 25 min. by cab in order to get to Playa del Carmen. There is absolutely nothing around!!!! Nothing. You feel like you are stuck somewhere and there is no way out unless you spend $10-$15 on a cab each way to get you to some sort of civilization. It can be nice to be in a secluded place, but after a day or so, you want to see some form of life. <BR>They have one funny restaurant where you can order from a menu---but it is a joke---you go in and wait for someone to take you to your table---the hostess sees you but does not say hello or tells you to wait or anything !!!! You wait and wait and nothing happens. AFter about 10 to 15 min. she finally takes you to your table. Then you wait and wait for a waiter. But you start to have good time after a while as you watch other poor restaurant goers wait and wait at the door hoping for the hostess to notice them. <BR>When the waiter finally takes your order, it takes about 1 for the food to arrive !!!! No one bothers to come and let you know what's going on....and the truth is not much is going on...you can see the cooks stand around and make jokes in Spanish (maybe at the stupid tourist who were naive enough to book their vacations there).....What a joke that place was ! I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but it's the only one there ! The other food option is the buffet place, which is like heaven compared to the a la carte restaurant. They try hard to make nice displays for each meal, but again, there is absolutely no comparison between what they offer and what is offered at RIU YIUCATAN. Night and day. What's good ? The beach is nice. <BR>Blue and green water. White sand. But the hotel has really nothing to do with that. Lobby is impressive. But they all are. Rooms are nice, but could be cleaner. The only way I would stay there is if "they" paid me...a lot. <BR>Upon our transfer to RIU YUCATAN we had to pay an additional $110.00 per person. And it was worth every single penny. Playa del Carmen is really beautiful and I would recommend you look for a hotel in that area. You won't regret it. <BR>If you have more specific questions, please post them here and I will try to respond.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 08:49 PM
Kristine

Hmmm....it sounds like you like to be at the center of action. Our previous Mexican vacation found our group of 10 at the Allegro resort which was located in Nuevo Vallarta which was approx 30 min. out of Puerto Vallarta. We have no problem being in the middle of nowhere because we can make our own fun and if you bus it into town and taxi it back you greatly reduce transportation costs. We don't need to be in town everyday but wouldn't have any problem plunking down the dough for these forays a few times during the week. From what I understand there are buses and/or vans that take you into town for approx $1.50 each way during the day(during daylight hours). Was your negative experience with the resort limited to the ala carte restaurant or did you have other problems as well? I'm a firm believer that your vacation is what you make it but I certainly would be interested in any other problems you experienced w/this resort. Also, the Rui properties were a no go w/our group due to the scheduled dinner seatings. We went that route on cruise vacations and don't want to be on any type of schedule.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Monica

The Mayan Riviera and Puerta Vallarta are not even in the same area. Many of the als in the Mayan Riviera are built near the water and not close to the main road, so taking a bus into Playa would not be feasible. The Cobacabana is one that is not to close to Playa del Carmen. I suppose renting a car would be an option. I have not stayed there and found reports both good and bad. And some very ugly. Maybe you should look elsewhere as you have many in the area to picj from. Good Luck!

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Marian

.....cont'd....as far as renting a car, our Suntrip rep. advised us not to...! He said it makes him sad to admit it but the police there is very corrupt and they can stop you for no reason and demand money from you before they let you go....so I would think twice before renting a car in Mexico. Buses, I suppose, are an option...also for the brave ones. But I guess if you like isolation and don't mind not experiencing anything else (I mean i.e. Mexican culture...) then Copacabana should be fine for you. It just wasn't something we were looking for. The hotel itself was nice and so was the beach. Have fun whatever you decide.

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Monica

It really upsets me to see information posted on this site that is not entirely correct. We have been traveling to Playa del Carmen for 13 years now, sometimes 2 a year and at stay at least 3-8 weeks at a time. We always rent a car for at least one week and have driven all over the Yucantan from Punta Allen to Merida to Majahual and have never been stopped. In fact, we have found the police to be very friendly and helpful. I am not saying there aren't bad cops there because the states have them. It is just another myth that gives this great area a bad name,

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 01:31 PM
Doug

I have never had a problem renting a car at the cancun airport and driving to pdc, chichen itza, coba or any place in the yucatan for that matter. The tour people just say those things because they want you to take the bus tours that they make a commission on. Second the Copacabanna is right near the highway that runs from cancun to tulum. All you have to do to catch the bus is to stand on the side of the road and wave when one comes by and it will pick you up. They come by very frequently during the day. Pay the driver in pesos when you get on, should be about 15 - 20 pesos which is about 2 dollars. The one thing that I do agree with is that the copacabana is in the middle of nowhere. Every time I go to Playa... at least once a year I take a day to go to Xpu Ha it is one of the most beautiful beaches in the mayan riveria and still pretty much tourist free.