Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Continental Plaza or Paradise Village P.V. (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/continental-plaza-or-paradise-village-p-v-79751/)

Tracey Jul 17th, 2000 03:47 PM

Continental Plaza or Paradise Village P.V.

Debating on which one to book. Would appreciate experiences that you have had with each resort and any advice that you may have. I have never been to Puerto Vallarta , I have only been to the Carribean side of Mexico.....

mary Jul 17th, 2000 07:10 PM

Hi Tracey, first of all you will be delighted with your stay in Puerto Vallarta. Completely different and much more typical Mexican town then the Carribbean side of Mexico. Many great things to do and see as well. <BR>As for the hotels, from the two you are mentioning, the Paradise Village is definitely a higher category. Continental Plaza is not really bad, but not a luxurious property. It also has it's maintanance problems and service is average. <BR>Paradise Village is quite beautiful, you will just have to be careful with all the time share sales-people around, as they will do everything to get you to go to their presentation and to buy a time share property. As long as you don't you can really enjoy the property, there is a lot of space, rooms are spacious in general, and public areas are beautiful. <BR>The only disadvantage of the Paradise Village is that it is farther from town, and taxis would be more expensive. It will take around 30 minutes to drive downtown and I think a taxi will cost around $ 120 pesos ( 15 US approx) while the Continental Plaza is very near to downtown and within walking distance from many shops, etc. <BR>Let me know if you have any other questions!

Mike Jul 25th, 2000 11:55 AM

Hi Tracey, <BR>My experience at Puerta Vallarta has only been at Paradise Village where we have been five times in the past four years, and will be returning to over Christmas. Needless to say, we love this place and have not yet found another resort that comes close despite a lot of travel. There are miles of safe beach, beautiful accommodations and grounds, a great spa, a marina with sea excursions, a small zoo to entertain the children, lots of water activities, nice pools, a wonderful vacation experience. It is not all-inclusive, however, there are a number or restaurants at the resort, and every room has a full kitchen. There is a full-line grocery store at the edge of the property. There are time-share salespeople, however, they are non-intrusive, and pride themselves on being low-key. If you are not interested, they will not pursue you. If you want to get to downtown, cabs are available at a reasonable price, or a bus leaves the property every 20 minutes for approx $1.00. Paradise Village will not dissapoint you. If you want further information, feel free to e-mail me.

Colleen Jul 26th, 2000 06:13 AM

My experience also is with Paradise Village. We just had our first visit to Mexico two weeks ago - Paradise Village is indeed a beautiful resort. Two concerns though, our room was over the swimming pool and was extremely noisey. There are alot of children at the resort this time of year so if you want a little more quiet, get a room away from the pool. The other concern, the water is a very dark brown colour due to the river next to the resort. It not clear. You can't see your feet even in shallow water. We also wondered how poluted the river was...

Cheryl Z. Jul 26th, 2000 11:14 AM

<BR>Hello Tracey, <BR>We own a time share right on the beach at the Continental Plaza and love it. It is an older hotel, but we've never had any problems, and service has always been satisfactory. It's just a few minutes from town where you'll definetly want to spend some time. PV has so many great restaurants to choose from, and lots of boutiques, shops. Perfect for wandering around too. Paradise Village, tho newer, is too far from town for my tastes. And even further from the Southern part of the town and Bay where we like to spend time too and highly recommend to others also. <BR> <BR>