Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Continental Plaza Cancun (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/continental-plaza-cancun-399343/)

Caribe_Nut Feb 15th, 2004 06:25 AM

Continental Plaza Cancun

Has anyone stayed at the Continental Plaza in Cancun recently? I recently got a very good package deal to Cancun and have booked at this resort. I would really appreciate honest opinions on Cancun and the Continental Plaza Cancun.
Thanks!

katolb90 Feb 16th, 2004 05:01 PM

Rule #1 Caribe_Nut, ask about a resort before you book it. Never stayed there, but I remember that I liked the way it looked from the street.

JeanH Feb 16th, 2004 05:07 PM

We spent a week in Cancun a few years ago and got so we called the Continental Plaza "The Pink Monster". Seems like we ended up walking by it a lot, and the property seemed to go on forever. It looks like a decent enough place to stay, especially if the price is right. The location is very good. Close to lots of good restaurants and the beach is beautiful.

soniela Feb 16th, 2004 07:00 PM

We stayed there in July 2001 (that's where my husband proposed to me!!!). We got a really good all inclusive deal, and we were young and on a budget, so we took it. It was definately not the best in the world, but it was "good enough". It depends what you like. If you're the type of person that lays on the beach and relaxes in your hotel room quite a bit, you might get annoyed that this hotel is a little run down. We are very adventurous people. We're NEVER in our room. We leave at 5:30 in the morning, and return at 11 pm. Pretty much the only thing we do in the hotel is sleep. So it didn't bother us that much that the hotel was a little older.

We scheduled tons of tours (which is A MUST while in Cancun), so we needed a wake up call very early every morning. But...our phone didn't work. We told the front desk, and they told us they would move us. It was a huge hassle because they forgot about us, we had to keep reminding them to come move us, and finally they told us we would have to wait until the following day. Granted this was just an accident, but we were terribly annoyed.

The food was NOT good. We ate as much of it as we could because we didn't want to waste money always eating out (since the food was free with our all-inclusive deal). And we were very annoyed with the the lack of "all-inclusive" activities. It's not a true "all-inclusive." I'm being quite critical, but trust me that the hotel did not ruin my trip in any way. Cancun was AMAZING!!! We had the time of our lives! It's just hard not to compare the Continental Plaza with surrounding hotels and with other all-inclusives that I've been to such as the Sandals Resorts in Jamaica (which are definate all-inclusives!)

You'll love Cancun. Make sure to book trips. We booked them all at the hotel once we got there. Xcaret was THE BEST!!! Also, there are many snorkeling tours...make sure to do one! The snorkeling was MUCH, MUCH better than any snorkeling I've done in other places such as Jamaica or Hawaii. The "Snorkeling Adventure" was such a fun tour group! They made the whole day a blast!

Enjoy your trip!

Rover Feb 17th, 2004 12:15 PM

My family and I stayed there several years ago. It was very nice. In no way run down. We had an ocean view room and our sons had a room on the bay side. Great Beach. We were constantly overrun by sales people pitching time shares. Couldn't turn around or walk anywhere without be accosted by these jerks. My wife won the trip in a school raffle. That was my first and last time to visit Cancun. You can have it. If you want a fancy hotel on the sea you can do it just as well in Miami. I'll take Tulum any day. Or Cabo, or Puerta Vallarta. Cancun? Never again.

JeannetteDawn Feb 22nd, 2004 12:21 PM

My daughter and I stayed here last month and had a great time. The rooms are not the greatest but if you don"t spend alot of time there,it doesn"t matter.The pool area is alot of fun and they really try to get you involved. The beach is really nice. We also thought the food was good. Would definitely go back.

JeannetteDawn May 22nd, 2004 05:37 PM

I just want to add to my reply that if anyone stayed at the Continental Plaza end of January-beginning of Feb.and they have a picture of all Canadians staying there at that time,I would really like a copy of it. My picture did not turn out and my daughter was very disappointed. If you can help,please let me know.Thanks