COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

connection time in san salvador

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

connection time in san salvador

Looking to book a flight from San Francisco to San Jose Costa Rica, I see the connection thru San Salvador (on TACA) is priced at around $700 (just after Xmas, so peak season). But the connection times seem very very short, so I am wondering if it is do-able (40 minutes on the way out, and only 30 mins on the way back). If flights are delayed by a few minutes either way, do they hold the planes ? I would hate to miss connections and be stranded for a day, anybody have experience with this connection ?

Sunil
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Oh - and a followup question : is $700 a decent airfare from SFO to San Jose Costa Rica (leaving Dec 26, returning Jan 5) ? Or should I keep looking for a better deal ?
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 07:50 PM

Is a OK fare...and the connection is Taca by Taca...what ever happends they will hold the plane for you,coming or even if you lost the connection...you have a lot more connecting you to SJO...from MIA-GUA-MEX-JFK...and your luggage is going to be here once you arrive!!

Flew that same route many times..never had a single problem...

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 08:46 PM

Assuming your incoming flight is reasonably on time, you'll make your connection. You don't go through customs or immigration there since you officially don't enter El Salvador.

I think $700 RT over the Christmas/New Year holidays is a decent fare.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Looking closer, the connection is TACA to Lacsa - not TACA to TACA (I guess they code share). Hmmm - still a little leery about booking such a tight connection (will not be fun to lose luggage !!), will sleep on it & decide tomorrow...

Sunil
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 04:24 AM

Lacsa is the same as Taca. There really is no Lacsa Airlines anymore. It was absorbed into Taca, oh, about 10 years ago. Some of Taca's flights to and from Costa Rica are designated as "Lacsa," but they are all Taca planes and Taca crews.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 04:35 AM

LACSA doe not longer exists...TACA flys under there lisence...LACSA now days is one paper in some where in a title company...no employees...no nothing...one paper..

LR or TA the same thing!!

Just to let you know...

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:49 AM

Wow $700 seems like a lot. I just booked a ticket on Continental from SFO to SJO for $460 in October.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:26 PM

When I flew from JFK to SJO once, I also had a very short connection through San Salvador and we did not get off the plane. I am not sure if that is the case with your flight, but I thought it might help you decide.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Best fare I could get is 641 on the TACA website (Travelocity had the same flights for 741, Expedia was 800+). My problem is dates - fares are much higher in late Dec & early Jan.

In any case : its done, I bought my tickets last night, now I am going to focus on hotels and ignore reports of lower fares ;-).
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 04:00 PM

You got a good fare. It'll be Christmastime, and like you found, the fares are just higher at that time of year.

Now will be the fun of planning.