confused about Arenal Activity /Tours

Feb 22nd, 2007, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

confused about Arenal Activity /Tours

I'm taking four college aged kids, a husband and two sisters to CR in late May and we want to book a couple of Arenal activities ahead of time. We are staying at Volcano Lodge and they have a long list of activities, including the Cano Negro tour, which the adults would like to do. Do you recommend the full day or the twilight Cano Negro tour? The "kids" want to go on a canopy tour. Do we need to arrange this with the hotel or should we contact someone else directly? We will have our own transportation. Is there ONE canopy tour at Arenal or several? How do I find out which one is the best (as in longest, wildest)? Also, will we sacrifice too much by taking in Tabacon in the evening, rather than during the day? It's pretty expensive for us during the day (and I heard the food is awful).
Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:35 AM

Skytram/ Skytrek zip, (northwest area of volcano) gets great reviews for zipping. I think it is the highest and with longest line lengths.
And Arenal Paraiso also has a zipline--with more links I believe.
You could check prices on the tours from your hotel verses the company direct. Some have said Sunsets Tours in town give the best rate compared to what their hotel was offering.
I think the early day Cano Negro tour would be best.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:02 AM

When I researched our first family trip to Costa Rica, Sky Trek/Sky Tram in Arenal was the most modern and also the most thrilling...as you say...my family loved it. My husband went along and thought it was well done and safely conducted.

In June 2005 we felt too warm after hiking to do a hot springs in the daytime! Don't know about May, but maybe you will be happy you waited til the evening for the hot springs, as we were! We did the smaller hotsprings at Ecotermales with the dinner.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:00 AM

Tabacon at night will be fine. I believe there are other hot springs in the area and you may want to look into that instead of Tabacon. Personally, I did Tabacon once and have no desire to go there ever again. The food was awful and I was there for the evening. It was more than enough time.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:31 PM
2CR

I agree with Mixter603. Tabacon was way overpriced and the food was not good at all. We wished we had tried out Ecotermales instead.
Feb 24th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Baldi is another alternative for hot springs, and not as expensive.
Feb 26th, 2007, 07:34 PM

There are 7 canopy companies in Arenal. I agree with Earthtraveler that SkyTram/SkyTrek is a good choice. Steel tower construction, long cables and no accident for 8 years since inception speaks a lot. I think they also offer discount for students (i.e., ask your kids bring student id).

Tabacon and Baldi are both good. You can buy Baldi from local hotels for $19 per person.