Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Comment on our honeymoon itinerary please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/comment-on-our-honeymoon-itinerary-please-251880/)

Sari Aug 21st, 2002 06:00 PM

Comment on our honeymoon itinerary please!

Hi everyone.<BR><BR>We're traveling to CR in April for our honeymoon. What do you think of this itinerary, in terms of days spent at each location?<BR><BR>Day 1: Xandari Plantation<BR>Day 2: Xandari Plantation. Visit coffee plantation and Poas Volcano.<BR>Day 3: Drive to Manuel Antonio. Stay at Makanda by the Sea. <BR>Days 4-7: Stay at Makanda by the Sea. Go on various tours, including canopy tours and Manuel Antonio National Park tour.<BR>Day 8: Drive to Arenal. Stay at Manuel de Fuego. <BR>Days 9: Manuel de Fuego. Visit Tabacon Springs spa and Fortuna River waterfall. Maybe butterfly garden, too.<BR>Day 10: Drive to Villa Caletas.<BR>Days 11-14: Relax at Villa Caletas. Read read read and relax relax relax!<BR><BR>Thanks for your input!

Terri Aug 21st, 2002 08:26 PM

Sari,<BR><BR>Your itinerary looks fine to me, with one exception. Both Villa Caletas and Manuel Antonio are on the coast. You would save a lot of time if you went to Arenal first, then Manuel Antonio then Villa Caletas. You could also switch the order of Manuel Antonio and Villa Caletas. Have a great time!

Ally Aug 22nd, 2002 05:08 AM

I have to agree with Terri. It doesn't make a lot of sense to drive from MA to Arenal then drive back to the coast! Other than that, you've got a great honeymoon planned and some excellent hotels!

Iza Aug 22nd, 2002 05:23 AM

Agree with the above posters: either go to Arenal first (right after Xandari) or last. It will save you a lot of driving time.<BR>Otherwise sounds like you planned a great honeymoon. Enjoy!

Sari Aug 22nd, 2002 07:18 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. I didn't realize that the order of our trip was weird -- thanks for pointing it out!<BR><BR>We're SO excited to experience Costa Rica!

Jay Weinstein Aug 22nd, 2002 10:19 AM

I have heard wonderful things about Manuel Antonio. You'll see lots of monkeys there.<BR><BR>While at Arenal, try the horseback riding trip to La Fortuna. It's great fun.<BR><BR>Jay

Ally Aug 22nd, 2002 10:49 AM

Just a tiny detail to think about...you do know that Makanda in Manuel A. and Villa Caletas near Jaco are on the same coast? Only about 1- 1 1/2 hour apart? Just mentioning that because you'll experience much of the same terrain. Don't get me wrong, both hotel choices are excellent, but you might want to think about staying in the Tamarindo area instead of one of the other two? This would give you a chance to see the 'dry forest' beach area. I had thought you were considering Sueno Del Mar which would be a good choice. Just a thought.

Iza Aug 23rd, 2002 04:53 AM

Since Ally started this, how about Punta Islita? It will also give you a chance to see dry tropical forest and I understand it is a great honeymoon spot.

Ally Aug 23rd, 2002 05:14 AM

GREAT suggestion Iza!