Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Colonial Trujillo, Moche, Chan Chan, Sipan, Sican, Tucume

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 02:46 PM
Michael White & Clara Bravo

Do not miss north Peru
There is much to see between the frontier with Ecuador, & Lima. Many sites are very close to major cities on the Panamerican Highway. Make sure your itinerary allows sufficient time at each site, instead of rushing through half of Peru.
Trujillo has the Pyramid of the Sun, which was the largest construction in the Americas, & yielded nearly 10 tonnes of gold & silver in colonial days.
The Pyramid of the Moon is revealing more than 6,000m2 of polychrome reliefs, & you can see excavations
in progress, & extensive panoramas over the countryside. Like The Learning Channel, National Geographic is visiting a second time, filming & writing for the September/October magazine. Make sure you see all three areas opened recently.
El Brujo Archaeological Complex' 3 temples holds 5,000 years of numerous cultures, history, extensive polychrome reliefs & murals, overlooking a splendid beach.
Near Casma are sites like Sechín, from 1,700BC, & the delightful beach of Las Tortugas.
Festivals include the Marinera(January), Carnival(Feb), Spring(September) & Ocean Festival(May).
Huanchaco has the reedboats & is near to Puerto Malabrigo-Chicama & the world's longest left hand wave. Chan Chan was the largest city in the Americas when the Incas arrived in 1460. Newly revealed friezes include designs like the ''Inca Cross'', which may now have to be renamed.
You can take a 6 hour daytime bus up the Cañon del Pato to Caraz to trek the Santa Cruz loop, or take daytrips to Chavin, Llanganuco lakes or Pastoruri Glacier.
Chiclayo has Sipan, where the world's richest tombs have been found, Tucume, their site museums, Brüning & Sicán (Ferreñafe) Museums & soon the new Sipán Museum.
10 hours inland is Chachapoyas which has sites to rival Machu Picchu. All much cheaper than Cusco. Return via Leimebamba (new museum soon), Celendín, Cajamarca & Kuntur Wasi.
We are glad to help with information, guidance & accommodation & can often join you up with other travellers.
Michael White & Clara Bravo www.xanga.com/TrujilloPeru http://communities.msn.com/TrujilloPeru
Cahuide 495 (Opposite old Huayna Capac 542 address)
Santa Maria, Trujillo, Peru.
(044)243347/255043 & 662710 mobilephone

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:12 AM
laincaica

I will be going to Peru in 11 days. I'm going to Trujillo. I hope to have a great time. I am hoping that someone might know of an inexpensive hotel or hostal with clean rooms, private bath, hot water and good service. Don't want to pay a lot for the hotel, it's just a place to sleep and take a shower. I spend most of the time outside of it. Do you know of any?

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visit the new discoveries at El Brujo Archaeological site, formally opened to tourism in May 2006.
www.ballofdirt.com/entries/13663/194767/20.html shows pictures of recent discoveries, including Señora de Cao & paintings around her tomb.
A site museum is planned in 2007.
www.xanga.com/ElBrujoPeru has most links in many languages.
PES/11 entrance, PES/5.50 students, PES/1 children.
www.xanga.com/TrujilloPeru also.
www.huacadelaluna.org.pe won the Queen Sofia priza as the best conservation project in Latinamerica in 2006.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 09:35 PM

I spent 3 weeks in Trujillo, LOVED it...most totally miss it and it's such a shame.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 03:14 PM

www.chanchan.gob.pe is government site on conservation project at Chan Chan