Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Colombia Questions? Ask Me! (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/colombia-questions-ask-me-249579/)

ralph Aug 14th, 2002 12:35 PM

Colombia Questions? Ask Me!

I enjoy reading these forums when I travel so I thought I would put my neck of the woods out there. My email is generic for obviuos reasons considering where I live. I am an American Executive living in Bogota, Colombia for the past 15 years and am married to a Colombian woman. I have traveled to every country in Latin America over 15 times with the exception of the the Gayanas and limited exposure to Brasil. Colombia from an American point of view is my expertise so please ask. <BR>Ralph

ralph Aug 14th, 2002 12:37 PM

Sorry for my spelling above. Wrote this intro without thinking in detail.

elliott norris Aug 18th, 2002 11:27 AM

HI Ralph-<BR><BR>i have visited colombia 6 times. i would like to move there for a short period; maybe 3 months. <BR><BR>i would like to study spanish at javeriana for an extended period.<BR><BR>if i get married again, i do not think i would bring the girl to the US.<BR><BR>there is a lot of stress to do that.

eitan Aug 18th, 2002 04:42 PM

hi ralph<BR>iwant to travelle to colom' in a few monthes i will have only 2 weeks<BR>can you help me plan my trip especially due to currnet events<BR>thanks eitan

Ralph Aug 19th, 2002 06:02 AM

Hello Elliot,<BR><BR>Javeriana is one of the top 3 Universities in Colombia. You will have a good time. I believe it is better to stay in Colombia once married to a Colombian woman. I say so from personal experience. U.S. can be a difficult place for some Colombian women and it is a hasstle.

Ralph Aug 19th, 2002 06:03 AM

Eitan,<BR><BR>I would be happy to advise. What city are you planning on visiting?<BR>Ralph

ralph Aug 20th, 2002 09:10 AM

Hello! Bahia Solano. I have never been and you couldn't pay me enough to go. The state of El Choco and the pacific coast is very serious. Most of the "displaced" people come from this region. I am sure it is very nice though and deep sea fishing is spectular in that area. I think whale watching used to be big as well. It is definitely out of the way and I think it used to be a popular spot for people from Medellin. You also have a famous park there, ensenada de utria. I would not look for out of the way destinations in Colombia right now.<BR>Ralph

ralph Aug 21st, 2002 02:26 PM

Bahia Solano Update<BR><BR>27 kidnapped today.

racer Aug 28th, 2002 04:55 PM

question: i would like to drive the pan-american highway, through colombia with a bunch of very adventurous friends, several vehicles caravan style. will we make it? day or night? we're not afraid of a little adversity, we race cross- country in mexico a couple times a year,but wonder if it's even possible. how much driving have you done between cartegena, medellin,cali, and the border with ecuador? know anything about the highway south of colombia? thanks in advance for puttin' yourself out there ralph!

ralph Aug 29th, 2002 03:52 AM

Hey Racer,<BR><BR>Sounds like a blast and something I would have done in my twenties. You know, I probably wouldn't do it myself for fear of guerrilla roadblocks. On the other hand, I would place a thousand dollar bet that you would make it no problem. The most dangerous stretch will be Cartagena-Medellin. From Medellin to Pasto and on to the Ecuadorian border should be smooth sailing. I have driven those stretches of highway about 12 years ago. Absoutely beautiful. I would not drive at night nor would I recommend you do it. I would probably recommend you start in Bogota and drive towards Ecuador via Cali. Much more traffic and chance are very slim you will encounter danger. That Cartagena-Mellini route is red zone meaning Farc. For adventure though, you will definitely achieve you adrenaline rush. Good Luck.<BR>Ralph

ralph Aug 29th, 2002 03:57 AM

And Racer,<BR><BR>Ecuador and Peru are great for hitting the Pan Am Highway. Especially Peru. It is 100% desert down to Chile. Very pretty and pretty safe. Long straight stretches. Once again no night driving recommended. That Peruvian Stretch is really cool. Don't miss it. Peru is also cheap right now.

racer Aug 29th, 2002 10:28 AM

ralph, thank you for answering my last questions. very helpfull to know from someone who lives there. ihave a couple more q's if you don't mind. we want to bring our vehicles on a boat from panama canal to cartegena then drive to medellin,cali,and then equador. you don't think we could make it from cartegena to medellin even during the daytime? would it be in our favor to have 15 people in a 5 vehicle caravan? does the farc block the main highway even during the daytime? if so is there a safer route to get there? if we were to go how many hours would it take from cartegena to ecuador? and you also said not advisable to drive at night in ecuador or peru. why not? do the banditos mess with even large parties like we will be? thanks again, ralph! i appreciate your time, greatly!

Ralph Aug 29th, 2002 02:58 PM

Hey Racer,<BR><BR>Distance from Cartagena to Medellin is about 300 miles and then another 350 or more to the border with Ecuador. I would estimate that you can do 30 miles an hour on averate. Very narrow and winding roads. Check out an Atlas and you will see a stretch between Sincelejo and where the central mountain ranges begins. This is going to be your hairiest section of the trip. The Farc operate in several ways. Your main concern will be a roadblock. They place roadblocks and conduct a blind search for kidnappable individuals. As a foreigner you will be an automatic catch. A caravan won't really help because you would be stopped by a group of at least 20 guerrillas armed to the teeth. The motive of the detention will be cash ransom. It is highly possible though that they would let a large group of foreigners go by giving the large international attention it would give them. A caravan would deter your common highway pirates though. Now I am obviously giving you the worst scenario. The number of roadblocks has decreased recently since the government took back the demilitarized zone from these goons. Roadblocks can happen day or night but daytime is always safer. Also these roadblocks last only until the military moves on them so they go up and last maybe an hour. I would say the chances are 1% that this could happen. So will reiterate, if you have the guts, I do think you can make it with no problems. Just keep in mind that this is a country at war. Note:Do not talk about the travel times with strangers upon arrival to Colombia. Maybe lie about your route to the curious. Try and do Cartegena-Medellin in one day starting 5:00am. 10-12 hours. From Medellin to Ecuador there is a lot of transit and the military has pretty good control so that will be no problem. Ecuador should have zero security issues for a large group. Peru does have some highway pirate issues at night but probably wouldn't mess with 15 in 5 cars. Also, carry enough cash in case of problems on the Colombian road. A robbery in Colombia can almost be like a business transaction. No money to give them and you could have more trouble. Sounds like your in for an adventure if you really do go for it. Good luck.

racer Aug 29th, 2002 04:08 PM

hey ralph,<BR> <BR> it's me again. thanks so much for the solid info, it really helps. couple more q's. could you talk a little more about the political climate in colombia? i.e. who is the current president? do you like him? dothe people like him? do you think he will be able to make a difference? is the new president trying to take at least the highways back from the "goons"?<BR>and finally, do you think colombia will become safer say 1 or 2 years from now? i am enjoying talking with you, greatly. tommorrow morning i am leaving for a few days vacation to northern michigan over the holiday weekend,should be nice. i'll look for your reply and i'll probably have another q or 2 when i return home to colorado. thanks again!<BR> racer

elliott norris Sep 1st, 2002 12:21 PM

Dear Racer-<BR><BR>I have been to colombia 6 times. married a colombiana.<BR><BR>i never rent a car in foreign countries.<BR>taxies are cheep. if you hit or kill sombody with your car, i do not know how many years you would stay in a colombian prision.<BR><BR>i fly between large cities.<BR><BR>evidentally racer, you are very adventurous and probably in good shape.<BR><BR>the war has been going on for 30 years. i still do not know what FARC wants.<BR><BR>i ran into a cople of scandenavian girls at hotel prado in b/q. they were bacpacking.they did not seem concerned about their safety. but the coast is the safest place in colombia.<BR><BR>i would like to hear how you made out.<BR>you may make a sequel to THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY.<BR><BR>PLEASE TELL ME WHEN YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO RETURN. if i do not hear from you by then, i will know that you got kid-napped.<BR><BR>there are cyber cafes in the large cities. i would like to know ytour progress and comments.<BR><BR>BUENA SUARTE, ELLIOTT<BR>

elliott norris Sep 3rd, 2002 12:15 PM

ATTN RACER:<BR><BR>in bogota at night, many cars and most taxis do not stop at red lights.<BR><BR>they are afraid of a robbery.

deb Oct 5th, 2002 05:22 PM

i enjoyed reading your comments, i am a canadian woman who met a very nice columbian man wonder how they treat their women? respect? equality?

Melissa Oct 6th, 2002 01:48 PM

Hello. How great to come across this exchange of information/discussion format. I am planning on visiting Barranquilla this November for the first time as an American, however will be with two Columbian friends. Could you provide me with some suggestions on where to stay? Do you have any suggestions for online resources that will provide me with travel information regarding Columbia, and especially Barranquilla? I am most appreciative for your input and/or advice. Thank you.

elliott norris Oct 7th, 2002 09:56 AM

hi melissa. i would only recommend 3 places for an american staying for a short time.<BR><BR>b/q plaza has been refurbished recently.<BR>a friend stayed there recently. nice pool, roof-top restarant with dancing some nites.<BR><BR><BR> el prado- beautiful grounds and pool. <BR>the rooms are so- so. very small with box unit a/c. el presidente stayed there when i was there. these hotels are in nice barrios.<BR><BR>the 3rd hotel is puerto del sol. larger rooms, a/c that will freeze you if needed. restaurant is one of the best in the city.barrio not as nice as the other 2. all 3 are within 2 miles of each other. buena suerte- ELLIOTT<BR><BR>your friend can show you some smaller hotels or apts. they probably would not have a pool.

Lisa Oct 8th, 2002 11:03 AM

I posted this question before I saw your post: "I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have ANY info on the Green Moon festival (reggae? & when?) and/or San Andres Island, Colombia? Thanks"