college women spring break trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our daughter has found a good airfare deal into Liberia for mid March. 3 or 4 women (age 21) are thinking of going there for spring break. They would want 3 or 4 days at the beach, and maybe a few day excursion to Arenal.
My wife and I were in CR last June and loved every minute. We felt safe. Question is: I need feedback to put my mind at ease about safety concerns. They are sensible young women and don't do stupid things. I have heard so many good things about the drivers that people hire down there too, and wonder about setting that part up for them.
Also, they would likely spend a good bit of their time on that northwestern coastal area (is that Guanacaste?) to be at the beach. I think that area has a lot of American tourist style hotels. We did not go up that way on our trip. I guess the parents would feel more comfortable if they were in an area like that, rather than the less "touristy" areas.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
EK
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Brings back memories of my own concerns! I was asking the same questions about this time last year.

My step daughter (age 22) and a friend spent spring break this year in Costa Rica. It was her first time to travel Internationally (other than Cancun). Since this time she has spent a month in Spain studying and plans to spend time back in CR for language study this coming year.

She had looked at our pictures and listened to us talk of our CR trips and knew she wanted to go.

They both had a fabulous time.

After 4 trips to CR, I still felt more comfortable in booking this trip with the help of a professional. My husband and I wanted the peace of mind of knowing that all their transfers and arrangements were taken care of. We discussed several options, with Dad and Stepmom inputting our ideas
and ultimately the girls chose their destinations.

I just pulled her trip report to the top a couple of days back. It was titled Trip Report Nicoya by AudraF.

I think I typed 4 pages of instructions, tips, contact people, packing info, etc. for her before she left.

Common sense safety is a must. Don't go anywhere alone, Don't drink and walk home late at night, Don't go clubbing and leave with a stranger, all typically common sense - however - Unfortunately the lack of common sense, seems to be the #1 reason that kids get into trouble on trips.

Since you have been to CR, you have lots of advice to offer them. The Northern Pacific beaches would be nice, but in March they will not be as lush and green. Also the closest beach hotels to LIB are mostly perched high on a hill with no close towns nearby. I am not much help in that area as we only visited an area called Playa Panama. Someone else will surely have suggestions.
Vargus Tours always gets excellent reviews and would be a good choice to set up some of their excursions in that area.
Arenal is certainly a good choice.

My step daughter, chose to stay in SJ a couple of nights, do a highlights tour and then fly over to the Nicoya Pen, stayed in Santa Teresa for 6 nights on the beach.

Now, after reading our guidebooks, cover to cover - she says she wants to visit the Osa!

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

THanks for the reply. I may need to pick your brain a bit more.

I know about, but only a little about, the "wet-dry" cycle. If they were flying into Liberia, and wanted a few "beach days", but would also like to see some lush vegetation, what are your thoughts on destinations.

We did Manuel Antonio, Monteverde, and Arenal, and the Peace Lodge, but this was in June.

Would the beaches of Nicoya be more suitable?

Thanks, I am going to search for that posting that you mentioned.
EK
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:29 AM

Feel free to pick my brain - what little of it that I have!! I will be away a couple of days, doing a weekend of college touring - for the next to the last one still at home.

Keep in mind that the further north she stays, the dryer it will be. Although I assume most hotels water their property. When we were up north a few years back, that was the case. The grounds were lovely, however the view in the distance was brown. As we drove down the highway on our way to Monteverde, you could see the changes from brown to green.

In Montezuma, the southern tip of the Nicoya, it was also dry, but not brown, still color in the leaves, but a bit dusty. Which I think would also describe the area around MalPais and Santa Teresa.

MA in Feb was pretty green and the Osa in Feb was very green.

But of course, they will see lots of lush green vegetation while in the Arenal area!

Your girls may enjoy a small funky beach town, where they could walk to shops and lunch, etc. However, they may prefer the all inclusive idea. I believe most, if not all the all inclusive resort type hotels are located up in the Northern Pacific area.

If they do decide to fly into Liberia, probably the easiest beach areas to get to would be in the Guanacaste region.

Someone GOT MY MAP! I was trying to look and get an idea of how far it would be to Tamarindo and other areas. Oh Well
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

ttt