Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Collecting ideas/info for family vacation with little ones

Oct 29th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Hi. I'm trying to plan a nice vacation for next summer. We have 2 kids - one will be almost 6, the other 3 1/2. I want to go somewhere tropical that's kid friendly. I was leaning toward on all-inclusive package. I've seen some nice looking resorts - allegro-cozumel, pebbles-jamaica, bahia principe tulum. I don't have a lot of experience in "tracking down travel deals." I want to book a nice hotel that would be comfortable for the 4 of us. I'm not sure what would be considered reasonable for a week vacation. Any tips? Should I use a travel agent, do the all-inclusive or just cobble something together myself? (sorry this is so long...)

Meeker4 in Virginia
Oct 29th, 2003, 07:08 AM

I'd highly recommend going through a travel agent and looking at the package deals from Apple, Funjet, MLT, etc. They do charter airfare and hotel packages that are well-priced and easy to use. The packages also have transfers from the airport included, and the company will have tour reps at the hotel to help you book tours if you want.

Personally, I'd choose an AI resort just for convenience with the kids. They can have drinks and snacks all day, and there are organized activities for them, too. You won't have to be constantly digging in your pocket for tips or to pay for things!
Oct 29th, 2003, 09:49 AM

Hi,
Playa Del Carmen would be a great choice for you!! Most of the hotels are all inclusive and they are all pretty new. Many of them also have kids camps with tons of activities for your little ones. A package is the way to go. Summertime kids are free at most resorts and all you are paying is for the air seat. If you have any questions about the area I would be more than happy to answer them just e-mail me at [email protected].

Happy Travels,
Jill
Oct 29th, 2003, 11:01 AM

I agree that the OP should take a close look at the area around Playa Del Carmen. And an all-inclusive is a great idea when traveling with kids. But, most hotels in PDC are not all-inclusive. A quick glance at a single web site listed 40 non-all inclusive properties. Thinking that PDC was chock full of nothing but all-inclusives caused my husband and I to spend a week in Cancun a few years ago, when we could have been enjoying the more much suited to us pace of PDC. Nobody's fault but our own, I never bothered to look beyond the glitzy brochures given to me by our travel agent.

By the way the Gala gets great reviews as having a very good children's program.

Jean
Oct 29th, 2003, 11:09 AM

Don't get your hopes up with the "Children's Programs" run by any of these places. Quality of the program and the people who run them can vary dramatically place by place and even day by day. In fact, you may run into the same negative child-care problems and issues you may have at home.

My advice, use the programs sparingly, if at all, as a last resort when you want an hour or two of down time. Keep your expectations for them to a minimum.
Oct 29th, 2003, 02:39 PM

Jamaica does have some of the best all-inclusives for chidlren if looking for those with kids programs - ubfortunately Pebbles in not one of the better ones but it is not bad. Beaches in NEgril (there are two - one larger and more expensive then the other)and another in Ocho Rios (Beaches Boscobel)are far better then Pebbels as is the Rui, whichis more affordable. Wyndham in Monetgo Bay is also great for kids.

I do agree the Playa Del Carmen has some great values and excellent resorts. WE jsut went to Paraiso Del Mar in Playa Del Carmen and it was excellent - tons of kids, excellent huge pool, great beach, tons to do. There is akids camp which my nephew totally enjoyed and they even had a kids entertainment show with participation which kids loved. There are childrne of all ages and jsut tons of activites so they never get bored.

As far as specials, there are tons of agents on the web that offer deals far better then going through a traditional travel agent but you do have to be careful. Try www.tropictravelonline.com - a good source and very reliable.

Penney
Oct 29th, 2003, 03:21 PM

Our whole family stayed at the Gran Puerto Real over Christmas last year. Although my granddaughter was too young for the children's activities, there seemed to be lots for children to do and the hotel is not so huge that you are anonymous. The hotel an AI, right on the beach in PDC, so you can wander into town to shop or have a drink if you wish. The hotel is probably a 4* and moderately priced.