Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Colca Canyon (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/colca-canyon-342838/)

lana123 Jul 30th, 2003 11:36 AM

Colca Canyon

Has anyone visited the condors in a one day trip from Arequipa? I know would be a long day, but just wondered if anyone had arranged this before.

ncanavan Jul 30th, 2003 12:02 PM

I'll be making that trip in September, and have been advised that going there and back makes for a very long day - 90% of it on the (dusty) road.
I've asked my hotel in Arequipa to forward me info on overnight options. I'll post the results when I get them.
-N

lana123 Aug 1st, 2003 04:49 AM

ncanavan, What hotel are you staying at ? They told me it was long and tiring, but I don't think I have a choice due to my schedule. Plus we have to pay $80 per person. I just want to know if it is worth it. I think the scenery must be beautiful.

ncanavan Aug 1st, 2003 05:46 AM

I'll be at the Hostal La Casa de Melgar in Arequipa.
As for whether or not the Colca Canyon experience is "worth it", that of course is subjective. Put it this way - how long is long enough to stare at the Grand Canyon? Some of the pictures I've seen of Colca are just as interesting, and accounts I've read of the condors are all full of awe. That said, it is my personal preference not to do it all in a day. I fact, I plan to experience the stars of the Colca Canyon night sky while lounging in one of the many hot springs in the area. For me, even being a New Yorker as I am, if I have to rush to do something wonderful, I'd rather not do it at all. Wonder takes time.

lana123 Aug 1st, 2003 08:07 AM

ncanavan,

I really like your philosophy, and yes I agree. I will have to try and work the two day into my schedule. The grand canyon is amazing. The problem, is of course the rest of my schedule is very busy also. Are you working with a specific travel agency or with the hotel directly? I would be interested to know what arrangements you can make.

I sent Melgar a note about staying at their hotel a few days ago, but never heard back. Do you mind if I ask how you contacted them? Also, when you get your details of your colca trip would be interested to know.
Kind regards for your information !

ncanavan Aug 1st, 2003 10:36 AM

Lana,

I contacted Melgar at the following: [email protected]. They got back to me within two days. In my email I also asked about the condor tour and Melgar recommended
Parador del Colca [[email protected]], whom I then contacted. The price they quoted(exact itinerary unknown)for two days one night was $215 per person - which is too much. I did a quick search and was able to find a detailed itinerary for $160 a person at www.orquidea.net/colca_canyon.htm.
I'll look into it a bit more before I book. I suspect these prices are much higher than they would be if I booked on the spot in Arequipa. Of course, if I wait until I get there, the concern becomes availability.
I'll post you my decision once I've made it.

lana123 Aug 5th, 2003 04:55 AM

ncanavan, I have sent several e-mails to different travel agents but have not received a reply. I tried ILlary, Giardino, and the one you mentioned orquidea. another one was recommended Transcontinental, but I cannot find a contact number for them. I am like you, I want to book before I go. I really wanted to book directly with an agency there. I am probably looking to arrange a private tour. So if you had any other contact numbers, that would be appreciated !

lana123 Aug 6th, 2003 04:33 PM

ncanavan,

I see that a couple of companies have tours for $160, for group tours if you want to stay at the colca lodge. I think if you are there, like you say you can get one cheaper. But we only have half a day to tour Arequipa, and I really don't want to spend the time looking for a tour for the next day. But I am not sure what you do if you want to secure before hand. I got one quote for a private tour for $354 and one for $240, but decided that was too high, and will go with the group.

Anyone else have any recommendations??