Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Club Akumal Caribe in Akumal (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/club-akumal-caribe-in-akumal-138327/)

Janel Jul 9th, 2001 09:44 PM

Club Akumal Caribe in Akumal

We are planning a trip to the Carribean Coast after Christmas and are considering Club Akumal. We are two families with little kids and are looking for low key atmosphere with nice beach and good snorkeling. Akumal looks nice, but they want a cash deposit, which worries me. Any comments?

Teresa Jul 13th, 2001 07:12 AM

Hi <BR>See my review on our vacation to Akumal (June 8-15) within 24 hours...look under the title Akumal "Secured" Villas/ <BR>It will be very intersting! <BR>Teresa

earl Jul 15th, 2001 06:37 AM

Club Akumal Caribe is terrific. We have stayed there twice and loved it. Check out their website www.hotelakumalcaribe.com/ they have a good reputation and I highly reccommend them.

Patty Jul 16th, 2001 11:22 AM

When we stayed at Club Akumal Caribe, we booked a package and prepaid our entire stay prior to arrival. We had no problems and received everything as described. Akumal is the perfect low key beach destination. The beach is great and snorkeling is good right in the bay. Another good place to snorkel is Yalku lagoon which is a few minutes north of Akumal bay. It is like a mini Xelha. Email me if you have any questions.

Teresa Jul 16th, 2001 02:00 PM

Hi, <BR>I'd think again about taking two little ones to Mexico!!! We had a theft at a villa called Las Hamacas in south Akumal with a security guard and security gate!!! We think it was someone with a key to the place! UNBELIEVEABLE!!! Email me, I'll tell you all about it. <BR>Teresa

Debbie Jul 16th, 2001 04:15 PM

Teresa - get off the soapbox already! You've told everyone a hundred times already about your unfortunate loss at these expensive villas. We get your point. Shit happens. <BR>But it's not a reason to run around telling people not to take little ones on vacation to Mexico. <BR>Sorry but two positives about SPECIFICALLY asked Club Akumal Caribe completely override your ranting about other accomodations way down the beach! <BR>Cripes, don't ever come to Toronto for a vacation - I'm sure I read somewhere that someone staying in a hotel got ripped off.

Earl Jul 17th, 2001 08:20 AM

Tersea, enough already. We have spent five or six weeks a year in Mexico for the past 10 years. I have been in 19 of 30 states and the capitol. I have driven all over the country. Never, never, never have we had ANY trouble. Sorry you had a bad experience. <BR>By the way a German tourist was killed on the streets of Santa Monica, CA last summer. To quote Debbie, shit happens! <BR>Hasta, <BR>Earl

Teresa Jul 19th, 2001 03:04 PM

Well, Debbie you are just about everywhere aren't you?! Makes me wonder if you aren't working for these resorts. Are you??? You sure are defensive BIG TIME! I will keep writing to people to warn them, especially now! I've had people writing to me on my personal e-mail and thanking me! You have your opinion, I have mine, NOW BACK OFF!!! NOTICE, there are other people besides me telling of bad experiences too. Why are you just picking on me? MUST BE A REASON! <BR>Teresa

Susan Jul 19th, 2001 03:46 PM

I'm with Debbie on this one. Every post I open has Teresa complaining about her trip. <BR> <BR>I think we get your message, Teresa. Most people, when looking at this forum, are going to check several messages, so I'm sure most of us have read about your problems several times over. Please move on!

texasgirl Jul 19th, 2001 07:59 PM

Jane; Haven't been to the specific resort you mention, but I would think Akumal would be agreat place for families _ it's very lowkey, pretty beaches, no nightlife to speak of but a few good restaurants. Keeping in the laid-back theme, you could also take day trips to the beaches at Tankah _ beautiful and often almost deserted _ and to Tulum. <BR> <BR>Teresa, the more posts I read tonight, the less patience I an having with your terrible trip. Again, I'm really sorry you had a bad experience, and I appreciate the heads-up, but please try to play nice; I have read this board for a couple of years and Debbie has often posted very helpful replies here and doesn't seem to have any agenda that I've ever detected....she doesn't deserve to be shouted at...

Teresa Jul 20th, 2001 06:53 AM

I have posted good reviews on past vacation places too on this site. These were about the Caribbean. We have been going there every year in March/April and have never had ANY problems. I should be able to write what I want, just as all of you are. There are plenty of other people on this site telling of their terrible experiences. Not all of us have good fortune to have a great vacations and I think these should be talked about too. I think I got my message across... <BR>Teresa

traveller Jul 20th, 2001 09:21 AM

Theresa, you have gotten your message across. I think all of us feel bad that you had such a terrible experience. But......I have had some great times in Mexico and some not so great times in the Carribean. But I keep going back to both. I think there are some fine and friendly people in Mexico. Unfortunately, you came across some who weren't. Given the poverty level compared to the "rich" tourists (I mean rich in their eyes), it really pays to use supreme caution with your valuables. We never travel with jewellry for example and are extremely careful with our money. As far as the cash deposit goes, OP, I would also be cautious about that. We did it once in South America and sweated bricks until we got our confirmation. And, the last time we were in Cabo, we prepaid for our rooms via credit card and didn't have any when we got there despite confirmation. It all got straightened out in the end but was quite frustrating. The Carribean and Mexico are both so heavily travelled now that there is no way to guarantee anything. Things have changed a lot in 20 years. <BR> <BR>Hope everything goes well for you and if you book with a reputable travel agency, you should have no problems. This is also useful in case you do have problems when you arrive as your travel agent can probably work things out for you. Make sure you have a valid phone number (preferably in the area) for a travel representative.

Teresa Jul 20th, 2001 03:25 PM

Traveller, <BR>Thank you for your tactful manner, unlike some people have been. I'm not the only one that writes about bad experiences in Mexico...Look at the post right under this one titled...3 DIE IN CABO, now that is something to worry about!!! <BR>Teresa

traveller Jul 20th, 2001 04:00 PM

Just as a note, Teresa, I also wrote about my bad experience at the Bahia Condo in Cabo San Lucas. I think that people appreciate the help they get. After all, we save and save for vacations and it is pretty disappointing to get ripped off. But don't totally write off Mexico. We have had some really fine times there. We also had some bad times in central and south America (really bad food poisoning, I was deathly ill for 48 hrs, and a small theft) but for the most part the vacation was a wonder. <BR> <BR>I hope that you give Mexico another chance. There are some wonders to see there and some great times to be had. <BR> <BR>