Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   clothing Q (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/clothing-q-376459/)

Catmomma Nov 15th, 2003 07:36 AM

clothing Q

Hi all,

Would a colorful sports bra alone be any more inappropriate (from a social standpoint) for hiking & biking in Costa Rica than it would in Texas (which it isn't)?

If I wore a sport tank bra that covers my stomach to dinner, would I be too casually or inappropriately dressed?

Thank you.

Suzie2 Nov 15th, 2003 09:13 AM

For the hiking and biking it shouldn't be a problem. For dinner it would depend on where you were. In many of the more casual places it would probably be okay. For the central valley it would be too cold.

CiCi Nov 17th, 2003 11:19 AM

Forget about the cold, Tico sensibilities would definitely be offended by a sports bra at dinner. You have to take into account that up until a few years ago no self-respecting Costa Rican woman wore shorts in the city. So it all depends how you want to be perceived by the locals.

Ally Nov 18th, 2003 11:08 AM

Unless dining IN San Jose, I don't think a colorfull sports bar would offend anyone unless it's a more upscale, expensive place.
Most beach area restaurants would be fine.
But Susie2 and CiCi are right in that it may be too cold in the Central Valley, and inappropriate for most places in San Jose.

Catmomma Dec 12th, 2003 03:49 PM

These are great tips. We are going to Arenal, Monteverde, and Manuel Antonio---and spending no time in San Jose. I was thinking of packing a sports bra, 2 coolmax sport bra tanks with tummy coverage, a capilene silkweight shirt, 3 running shorts, pair of synthetic yoga pants, a pair of bike shorts, and a fleece shirt. Plus socks & shoes.

But I was wondering if we go to dinner someplace nice should I pack: 1) a sundress; 2)a nice top w/jeans & a jacket; or 3) a casual pantsuit?

I'm concerned about moisture, weight (plane travel w/n the country), appropriateness, fashionability, and temperature.

Thank you.

Suzie2 Dec 12th, 2003 08:24 PM

Leave the jeans home. If they get wet they will take forever to dry. You will need some long pants for Monteverde and possibly Fortuna. Monteverde can get quite cool in the evening and can be windy and rainy at times. I was up there in March one year and it was pouring in both of the cloud forests but dust dry in the little town of Santa Elena which is between the two reserves. I have not been cold in Fortuna on the visits I have made but someone mentioned being there the week after I was there this past Feb and it was quite cool for them. Costa Rica does get cool fronts coming through from time to time and it can be pretty cold in the central areas and up in the mountains.
As far as dress goes, except for the cities as was mentioned, casual is accepted most places. I would think that a sundress might be nice for the nicer places but you will see just about everything. I have been in some nice lodges on the coast where some women have been in their little black dresses and others have been in shorts at the next table. I personally like to have something other than my hiking clothes to put on in the evening sometimes but I don't really get dressed up.

Catmomma Dec 13th, 2003 07:00 AM

Suzie2,

I appreciate the advice and plan to follow it. For anyone who cares to comment on my revised pack list, I plan to take:

sport tops

1 sports bra
2 sport bra tank tops
1 silkweight shirt
2 synthetic fleece shirts

sport bottoms

3 running shorts w/lining
1 yoga pants
1 padded tri short

dress clothes

2 ultra lightweight silk blouses
1 ultra lightweight silk skirt
1 lightweight black dress pants
1 super-thin rayon sweater
1 synthetic sundress

Other

2 dress shoes
1 tennis shoes

2 heavier bras
4 coolmax socks
2 coolmax underwear
1 girdle-maybe

1 bikini
1 tankini top that goes w/bikini bottom
1 sheer sarong
1 cotton cover up?

I plan to wear as much of this as possible on the planes. We'll be in CR 10 days.

Is washing the quickdry stuff in woollite practical? Is this too much? Is a thin sweater going to be warm enough? Should I look into buying a lightweight jacket of some kind? Should I get a raincoat? If so, any suggestions on where to get those balled up raincoats Suzie2 mentioned once? Should I weigh the suitcase?---I'd have to take it somewhere to weigh it. Will having an actual suitcase w/wheels push me over the edge? I struggle w/shoulder tendonitis related to extreme surgery.

We'll be there at the end of Feb. beginning of March. I feel that the advice I've received so far has already guided me away from several mistakes.

Suzie2 Dec 13th, 2003 09:02 AM

Leave the girdle home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you can wear a bikini you don't need the other, especially in CR.
Your list looks pretty good to me. You could probably get away with a little less in the dress clothes. Having long pants is a good idea for both dress and hiking/horseback riding. The padded shorts for biking are a given. REI did sell padded underwear also. A raincoat/jacket would be a good addition. I haven't had too many trips down there when I haven't needed one at least once. If nothing else, it can double as a windbreaker. I got mine at a sporting goods store. One lightweight fleece would probably be enough. If you are worried about what people will be seeing you in, just remember, what you wear today will be new to the people who see you and will be new to the people who see you the next night most likely. The tourists down there are very mobile so you won't be getting to know anyone terribly well.
You also might want to revise your shoes. One pr dress, one tennis (hopefully something that will dry quickly-have had good luck with NB), and one teva like sandal or even just flip flops for the beach/pool.
Regarding your wheeled suitcase. It will add a lot of weight. Ours is about 7-8lbs. Factor in binoculars, bug spray, shampoos, etc, it will add up. Most of the time Sansa will let you get away with a little extra to Quepos. Might charge you a little bit for the overage. That is a popular destination so the planes are a little bigger. The big problem with weight is in the little ones. You probably know this but when flying on the commercial flights to CR and back....pack your shampoo/conditioner in a plastic bag and put it on top. I learned recently when traveling that conditioner will set off alarms because it is so thick.

Catmomma Dec 13th, 2003 09:17 AM

Thank you so much. I'll probably buy a scale to weigh it all to be sure.

A note on girdles---for certain pear shaped women---thin silky skirts actually cling to every curve and dent in cellulite---exaggerating the negative and making the figure look worse than it does in a bikini.