Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Christmas in Puerto Vallarta (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/christmas-in-puerto-vallarta-566741/)

twinkee Oct 24th, 2005 10:35 PM

Christmas in Puerto Vallarta

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are going to be in Puerto Vallarta for Christmas this year (Dec. 22-27). It will be our first time in Mexico and we want to make the most of the trip. We've heard great things about spending Christmas in Puerto Vallarta but we're not sure if there is anything to do that is specific to the holidays or that time of year.

We're staying at the Intercontinental Presidente and plan on enjoying the ATV Pathfinder tour, a fiesta, Rhythms of the Night, and a Bull Fight.

For those of you who have been to PV, any suggestions for other activities, must-sees, or things to do on Christmas?

Thank You!

suze Oct 25th, 2005 06:41 AM

Christmas is a wonderful time to be in Puerto Vallarta! The town is decorated and festive. I don't know of anything specific besides going to a church service. Although shopping for your Christmas gifts after you arrive is fun. I've seen block parties, neighborhood and family events, but I'm not sure how you'd get invited to them. Christmas Eve seems more the highlight, with Christmsa Day itself being quiet and for families at home.

A bigger occasion in PV is earlier in the month when The Festival of the Virgin of Guadalupe is celebrated. This is the week before and including Dec 12th each year, and that's when you'll find parades, floats, marching bands, food fairs, etc.

suze Oct 25th, 2005 06:46 AM

Sounds like you have plenty interesting activities planned for a 5 day stay. Don't try to pack in too much is my best advice, relax and enjoy the slower pace of Mexico.

My "must sees" I would add include local things like shopping in the El Centro galleries and stores, strolling The Malecon one evening, visiting the cathedral off the main zoloco, eat an ice cream or corn on the cob, etc.

twinkee Oct 28th, 2005 04:52 PM

Thank you Suze for the tips! We'll be sure to allow time for R&R.

2fly Dec 13th, 2005 06:48 PM

Suze,

Is there going to be anything open for tourists on X'mas day? What actitivies would you suggest?

I am also interested in bull fight. I know it is on Wed. which is my 2nd day there. (Next week this time I will be in PV already.) Do I need to purchase tickets in advance? If yes, how can it be done? Would Casa Andrea help?

How about a folk dance show? It is a great pity that Ballet Folklorico de Mexico will not be on in Palacio de Bellas Artes during the week I will be in Mexico City. Do you have any recommendation in PV?

Thanks.

suze Dec 14th, 2005 06:47 AM

2fly- not sure what will be open on Christmas day. i don't think i tried to do anything special. probably went to the beach or laid around at the hotel pool like most days, myself -LOL.

i don't know a thing about bull fights. Andrea is quite an animal activist (rescue cats and dogs) and i'm not sure her thoughts on a bull fight. Generally speaking though I know she arranges all kinds tours for people, vans, drivers, deep sea fishing, etc. so maybe.

There is a tourist office right off the zocolo in front of the cathedral in the corner of a government building, you could ask them. My guess is you just show up at the bull ring (out by the airport) and buy a ticket, but that is truly just a guess I don't know anyone who has gone to them.

Sorry also have no recommendation for folk dancing. Sometimes there is a free show at the open air stage under the arches at the end of the Malecon. And the dinner "fiesta" shows around town certainly must have dancing but again I've not attended one.

Ida101 Dec 14th, 2005 09:45 AM

Also make a whalewatchtour. The big humpbackwhales are in the bay.
I love to do it on a 12-persons Zodiac with Open-air expeditions.
Check www.vallartawhales.com
You will love it.

2fly Dec 15th, 2005 08:39 PM

Suze and Ida101, thanks for your info!

Well, Andrea has not replied regarding bull fight. Not a surprise. :-)

I was thinking about a dophin/whale trip. The photos on vallartawhales.com are pretty cool. But I read somewhere that later in the season (not the beginning) the chances of being able to see whales are bigger. Vallarta Advanture has a whale/dophin/snorkling/scuba/kayaking tour - for the same price. http://vallarta-adventures.com/whale...g/dolphin.html. Seems like that no disappointment would be possible with such a multi-dimensional tour - for the Too good to be true? Anyone has experience with that? Thanks.

suze Dec 16th, 2005 10:01 AM

I have heard only good things about anything thru Vallarta Adventures, but I have never taken a tour or done an activity myself.

MichelleY Dec 17th, 2005 04:26 PM

Dear 2fly:

We just got back yesterday from PV. WE did the Rhythms of the Night thru Vallarta Adventures. Very nice trip/show/dinner. They did a great job. They have a very wide range of activities to sign up for. They have a canopy tour, but we opted for the Los Veranos canopy tour.

We also went to the bullfight. It was $30/person and we arranged it thru our hotel. Be prepared for lots of blood and the knowledge that the bull does not have a chance. I grew up on a farm with animals, so the blood didn't bother me as much as the bull being worn down, then finally keeling over. The bullfight is put on for the tourists. We were told the fights for the locals are in the spring. I can't imagine the locals pay 300 pesos each.
On the plus side, several of the matadors were very cute!! They killed four bulls, and the best show was put on by the last matador.

We had a great time and I will write a report soon.

MY

2fly Dec 18th, 2005 09:06 AM

Michelle Y, thanks for the info. What made you pick the Los Veranos canopy tour over Vallarta Advanture? What is better about it? How long did the tour last? Looking forward to your report. I am heading to Mexico in a day. By any chance, can I see the report before then? :-)

Suze, it seems like that you don't take tours. How do you explore PV? I am not against taking a tour. But I am aware of the fact that I will be a "tourist" with the tours. Would like to explore more of the nature and beauty with the locals or on my own.

Thanks.

mikemo Dec 18th, 2005 11:32 AM

We plan some serious fishing in Barra de Navidad a bit farther South.
M

MichelleY Dec 18th, 2005 03:30 PM

Dear 2fly:

Sorry, I won't have a report ready - too busy with Xmas parties etc. I don't really know if one is better than the other, as far as VA vs. Veranos. Veranos forest is south of PV, so I wanted to see that part of the area. Plus someone on this site had used them and highly recommended them. It think either would be fine.

Vallarta Adventures has a wide selection of tours/adventures. Check out their site at: www.vallarta-adventures.com

As far as exploring on your own, you can hire taxis for a set rate or use the public bus system. I had a Frommers & Moon Handbook guides that give great info. Also, your hotel can help you out. But beware of the "tourist info" booths along the street. They are actually timeshare setups.

If you have any more ???, feel free to ask.

MY

MichelleY Dec 18th, 2005 03:52 PM

Dear 2fly:

PS: the canopy tour took about 5 hours: that includes the bus pick up at their office in PV and the drop off on the way back.

MY

2fly Dec 19th, 2005 03:42 PM

Hi Michelle Y, thanks for the info. I booked the tour with Vallarta Advanture, with a virtual credit card number. Now the confirmation says that I need to show the credit card when I join the tour... I encountered the same problem with Cathay Pacific. They use credit card as a form of ID or "protection" to the card owner. But they have not researched to realize that this way of "protection" does exactly the opposite of protection. As a result, I had to buy a second ticket at the Cathay Pacific counter. I just hope VA is not such a pain...

Not a fan of Fodor's book? I use all books the library provides. :-)

Happy holidays!