Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Christmas in Oaxaca - Safety Concerns, anyone been recently? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/christmas-in-oaxaca-safety-concerns-anyone-been-recently-899319/)

elsa300 Jul 18th, 2011 02:48 PM

Christmas in Oaxaca - Safety Concerns, anyone been recently?

We're a family of 14 making arrangements to spend Christmas in Oaxaca. I'm concerned about our safety as many Mexican States seem to be struggling with drug cartel issues, kidnappings and such. Has anyone been to the area recently, how are things?

Thanks so much!!!

qwovadis Jul 19th, 2011 04:18 AM

www.booking.com/region/mx/oaxaca.en.html

Parador San Miguel my fav

Things are fine in tourist enclaves

Last there during the teacher's strike

Stayed out of crowds had no problemos.

insuremytip.com always wise also monitor

travel.state.gov for alerts... stic with savy

local driver guides odds are great u will be just fine.

2oaxaca Jul 19th, 2011 09:01 AM

I live here in Oaxaca and I continue to feel very safe here. In fact I find Oaxaca safer than any place I lived in the US. We have had no problems here in Oaxaca. If you have specific questions please don't hesitate to write to me at [email protected]

baldone Jul 19th, 2011 07:12 PM

My wife and I celebrated our 25th anniversary in Oaxaca with our Mexican friends during the height of the '06 teacher's strike. No doubt there were some inconveniences, but at no time did we feel threatened in any way. Since then we've continued to travel Mexico and are now moving there for good. Go and have fun...

Eric_Mindling Jul 21st, 2011 10:28 AM

Hello, I have lived in Oaxaca the last 20 years and run a cultural tourism business here. As part of my job I travel all over the state, from the heart of Oaxaca city to the most remote corners of the state. Obviously, working in tourism, I pay special attention to what is happening here in terms of safety. I can tell you that you needn't have any concerns regarding your safety here. Not only have I not run into any real issues in 20 years of traveling here, the current, awful violence that is affecting some parts of the country is not happening here. What you will find are some very helpful and friendly people.

Eric Mindling
traditionsmexico.com

emd3 Jul 21st, 2011 05:52 PM

I am going to Oaxaca around day of the dead this year. I went at same time of yr. 2 yrs ago and felt very safe.
Just remember as usual not to wear any expensive or gold jewelry. My friend who was with me, and who is bilingual and has traveled extensively in Mexico, forgot that rule and wore a thin gold bracelet to the Mercado e Abastos on a Sat. with me. A young man went by quickly in a crowded area and tore it off her wrist and was gone. It was stupid of her to have had it on in a market like that, and she knew it. Other than that, no problema. Absolutely no drug activity or threat of that type of violence.

Oaxaca is great around Christmas, you will have a great time.

elsa300 Jul 24th, 2011 08:41 AM

Thank you so much everyone for your feedback. Feel much more at ease reading your comments and are excited about the trip. I'll be traveling with my 10 month old for the first time, just that alone is stressful enough. We've now secured our stay at Casa Murguia, it's centrally located and the owner has been most accommodating thus far. She's arranged a cook for us for the week and has provided info on festivities, private drivers and the like. www.casamurguia.com
I'll be more than happy to share her suggestions if anyone is interested. Thanks again!!

Dude Jul 24th, 2011 10:10 AM

So far Oaxaca seems to be escaping the problems. I have not been there for a year but talk to co-workers there daily and they ar reporting no problems. You do have to take precautions in regard to petty theft, etc. like you would traveling to any tourist destination.