Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Chose the Westin in Puerto Vallarta over Sheraton Buganvilla's. did I make the right decision?

Chose the Westin in Puerto Vallarta over Sheraton Buganvilla's. did I make the right decision?

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 08:10 AM
KB

I chose the Westin over the Sheraton b/c it sounded a lot nicer. I'm having doubts now b/c I've read that the beach in the marina area is not as nice, and I'm worried that we will be too far away from the action.

Any thoughts??

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 08:49 AM
lisa

Not an expert, but we stayed farther towards the Marina than the Sheraton, at the Villa del Palmar (or something like that) and wished we'd been closer to town. Town is definitely fun.

The Sheraton has a great pool, lots of activities, and is an easy walk to town. My sister stayed there and loved it and we probably will the next time we go.

All the beaches we saw were crowded and the water is not clear like the Caribbean. Lots of people approach you to braid your hair, sell jewelry and clothes. It is not relaxing. Perhaps the Sheraton has a fairly large private area close to the beach. Just don't expect a Hawaiian beach experience.

Have fun!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 10:03 AM
beachgirl

The Sheraton was one of THE hardest hit by hurricane Kenna. So if your trip is anytime soon, I'd definitely go with the Westin.

None of the beaches in PV are "world-class" but it is an incredibly charming, authentic, romantic town... just get over the huge beach outside your window idea. Then take a bus out to Nuevo Vallarta, or better yet further to Destiladeras or El Anclote (beach names) less than 1 hour north of town to find gorgeous beaches.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 11:16 AM
Old Town

Personally if you are worried about being too far away from the action, I'd consider a completely different part of town.

Have you thought about staying down on Playa Los Muertos (Tropicana, Playa Los Arcos, Molino de Agua)? The areas of El Centro (downtown) and south of the river (sometimes lumped together as Old Town) are completely different than being "stuck" out in the tourist district of The Marina or Hotel Zone that you're looking at now.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 11:33 AM
Michael

Have stayed at both.IMHO Would pick the Sheraton hands down, closer to the town, less of a "removed" from it all resort feel. However my experience was pre-hurricane...