Chichen Itza - tour bus or self tour?

Feb 16th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Chichen Itza - tour bus or self tour?

We will be in Cancun in April and plan to visit Chichen Itza. Which is better - to go the tour bus route (pretty expensive for our large family) or drive a rental car to the site and do a self tour? Or can you join a tour with a guide if you drive yourself there?
Feb 17th, 2004, 09:22 AM

If driving is not a problem, I would suggest that as your best bet. You can hire a tour guide for your family for not much... around $40 for up to 6 people. Look for the tour guides with badges once you arrive at C.I.
Feb 17th, 2004, 12:10 PM

Just my 2 cents worth (if you do a search you might find the original thread I posted it on)...Be sure to compare how long you will be on the bus to how long you will be at Chichen Itza. We took an organized tour (via bus) in December. By the time the bus picked us up at nearly 10 am in Tulum, the first people picked up in Cancun had already been on the bus for nearly 3 hours! While we were fortunately the last picked up and the first dropped off, I can't imagine having spent the amount of time on the bus that the people from Cancun did for only 3 hours at Chichen Itza. In addition, our bus stopped for a bathroom break (AKA shopping) and a lunch buffet (horrible). If I had it to do over again, I would rent a car or barter with a taxi driver for an all-day rate.
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:43 PM

Why wouldn't you just look into taking the public bus to this area. We did it and loved seeing all the villages and the scenery was great. It is very reasonable and it allows you to pick your times at Chichen. We chose to take the bus up the night before and stay at a small hotel and were there when the gates opened at 8am. We had the ruins to ourselves for over 3 hours. We could not believe the buses that pulled in after 12. Email me at [email protected] for more info. Wendy
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:59 AM

Public bus (first class is faster, but the second class bus stops at many little villages along the route) or car. The bus is good, but a car will allow to you to arrive earlier and beat some of the heat and crowds. Staying overnight is even better.