Cheapest way to call Texas from Oaxaca, Mexico?

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 12:27 PM
ann

Cheapest way to call Texas from Oaxaca, Mexico?

I would appreciate any tips on the best and cheapest way to call Texas from Oaxaca City. We will be there for 6 weeks and are looking for the best way to keep in touch with relatives in Texas. Is it easy to purchase the prepaid phone cards there for making calls to the US? Are they sold in any particular type of store? I have a phone card with Alltel (my long distance service provider) but feel that a prepaid phone card purchased in Mexico would be cheaper rates. Also, are there cybercafes in Oaxaca City? I've heard internet access is very limited there but surely there is some place to access the internet. Any advice or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks!

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 02:06 PM
marilyn

On the contrary, internet cafes are plentiful in Oaxaca. We found them to be an easy and economical way of keeping in touch with relatives in Chicago--charge was 20 pesos per hour. Telephoning was VERY expensive in contrast--about $40 for the one call I made, though I admittedly am bad at figuring out how to reduce phone costs. Supposedly there are Ladatel phones which are the cheapest for international calls, but we preferred e-mailing.

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 03:08 PM
d motl

yes phones marked ladatel are the cheapest. AT&T cr card is $3.00/min.
Internet is all over and the only way to go.

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 12:44 PM
Dave

Ladatell cards can be purchased virtually anywhere in Oaxaca. Dial 011 + areacode+ number. Comes out to a little less than one dollar a minute. By far the cheapest and easiest way to call US from Oaxaca.

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 12:58 PM
xxx

When I was in mexico I bought a prepaid calling card that you just stick in the phone and dial. it was very easy. a 10.00 dollar phone card let me talk for about 10 minutes. but be sure to buy it when you get to mexico because the one i bought before i left i could not use