Search

Cheap Air Fare

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Vita

Cheap Air Fare

Hi, all. I was thinking of going to Costa Rica in February and was shocked to see that airfare was around $500! Any tips for getting cheap air fare or for flying into cheaper airports and taking a bus to San Jose? This is still very much preliminary. Any other ideas for places to go in central/south america that would be cheaper. Am interested in doing some hiking and nature walking. Any budget tips in general?

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 03:58 PM
David Cook

Vita: I'll be interested to hear what you find. There is one main airport, San Jose. The other destination, Liberia, will prob cost a bit more if you want to start there. It is my understand that TACA, a group of CentralAmerican airlines, has taken control of fares to this region and established a kind of "floor" under prices. I just got back from CR and we had to pay $625 RT from LA. I understand its cheaper per mile to fly to Europe! I don't know where you are but be sure to check out all viable alternatives.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 12:45 PM
beth

We are also looking at Feb. for airfare from the East Coast and can't find anything much less that in the 600 range. What did you find for 500?

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 06:26 PM
Iza

We flew to San Jose from Newark this summer for just a little bit over $500. I don't think you'll be able to find anything for less than that unless it is from Florida or Texas. Actually flying to Liberia may be cheaper if you are able to get on a charter flight in the middle of the week. I forget what charters fly there but I think there is one that goes fairly regularly from TX and is inexpensive. <BR>For good prices I would suggest you try www.flycheapol.com (its Mars Travel, a well known travel agency in Houston, I believe). I bought my tickets through them this summer and they had the best prices (I shopped around!). <BR>In general CR may be expensive or a budget destination, depends on your choices and preferences. But as far as air fares to get there, there is no way around it, they are expensive.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 11:00 AM
peg

I agree with Iza for the airfare. We paid around $550.00 out of Detroit, MI. There are five of us going in October, and I booked my tickets from www.yourtravelstore.com. You can either go through an agent or use their direct booking. I used both and was pleased. <BR> <BR>I really do not think that you can find airfare to Central America real cheap (except maybe Mexico). My friends and I flew to Belize last March and paid close to $600.00 through an airline consolidator. <BR>

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 12:40 PM
Lisa Olivia

In this month's issue of Frommer's "Budget Travel", in the article titled "40 best travel vacations for Sept., Oct., Nov.", there's an article about a trip to Costa Rica. It's for airfare to CR from all over the US plus 7 nights lodging in San Jose for $564 (a bit more for various cities..nothing listed at more than $716). Seems like a good deal based on what I'm seeing in this string. Page 146. Check it out.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 02:20 PM
mon

$500.00 is cheap.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 07:48 PM
ebb

Try a Consolidator like Citynet <BR> <BR>http://citynet.com/request?14863 <BR> <BR>They buy blocks of tickets at a reduced rate.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 05:32 AM
xxx

Situation is so uncertain for airlines and to avoid any surprises just pay a little more and buy your ticket from the airline. $500 in a high season is a great price.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 06:06 AM
Robbie Felix

We are hearing rumors in Costa Rica that many Miami flights are basically half price right now. A friend told mme yesterday that frends who normally come once or twice a year are all coming to visit as the arfare was so cheap! If you want to have a cheaper vacation try coming to Costa Rica right before Thanksgiving or right after. It is beginning to be summer and the weather isn't bad, but the airfares may be substantially better than most people would imagine! <BR>I think right now is the best tme to be shopping airfares! <BR>Actually everyplace in Costa Rica is offering some type of discount right now due to our slow-down due to the tragedy in the states. You can rent a room in Manuel Antonio for the MOST EXPENSIVE place in town, they normally charge 250-1200 dolalrs a night and are renting rooms for 100 dollars! <BR>The same with every other place , we all have advertised or unadvertised specials.... <BR>Good time to take a break! <BR>Best warm wishes from Manuel ANtonio! <BR>Robbie

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 07:10 AM
GG

Hey Robbie would you please give a name and e-mail for the hotel that normally charges $1200 per night and now only $100. What about Lapa rios? Do they lower their rates as well? Give me all this information and we will come.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 01:52 PM
David Cook

Check out the latest Tico Times online for the story on tourism (or lack thereof) in CR right now. There are hotels virtually empty and begging for customers! Now is a great time to go if you can find a reasonable air fare. Good luck to all and I know the Ticos will really appreciate your business now.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 01:57 AM
2-Each-His-Own

Interesting topic and how we each react to the 9/11 tragedy. <BR>Having done a LOT of research in preparation for a winter Mexican vacation, I'm still very willing to share my info with other potential travelers even though I've made a personal decision to cancel my trip to Mexico. <BR>Tourism in the USA is also in a world of hurt since that fateful day with people losing their jobs, our airlines in trouble, low hotel/motel occupanies, slow business in all tourist oriented cities, and all the rest of the domino effect. So, I'm (should say WE'RE) spending our vacation dollars right here at home. <BR>While I have sympathy for the situation in other countries; Costa Rica among them, it makes more sense to me to bolster my own country's economy - at least for the next 6 months - to prevent a recession becoming a depression.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Tom

Got a great deal on 2 airline tickets through hotwire.com You might want to compare their prices. (We flew American through Dallas)