Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Chaa Creek question? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/chaa-creek-question-658005/)

KarBiCrBr Nov 10th, 2006 12:37 PM

Chaa Creek question?

In Feb. we are spending five days at an ocean side resort ini Belize, then want to move inland for jungle/rain forest experience. What feedback can you give me about Chaa Creek. It sounds pricey but convenient with lots of tours offered. Comments and suggestions greatly appreciated !!

Katie_Valk Nov 11th, 2006 01:37 PM

Wonderful, one of the best lodges in the region, lots to do on site and in the area. Well worth it.

astein12 Nov 21st, 2006 09:07 AM

We spent a few days at Chaa Creek... it was very nice, but we preferred the time that we spent at Chan Chich. It seemed more authentic and everything (guides, horseback, food, etc.) was great.

hopefulist Nov 21st, 2006 03:01 PM

We LOVED the Macal River Jungle Camp, a beautiful secluded, jungly setting, sweet cabins, great food, and, since it's Chaa Creek's wild child, access to all the trails, the museum, butterfly farm, tours, etc. Chaa Creek offers. Check it out:

www.belizecamp.com

If you like adventure another place you could consider is Caves Branch:

www.cavesbranch.com

Have a blast, whatever you decide!

LanSluder Nov 25th, 2006 03:53 PM

I was at Chaa Creek (for the sixth or seventh time) about a week ago. It's a lovely lodge, with among the nicest grounds and best staff in Belize. It is convenient for tours, caving and Maya ruin trips in Cayo. The food, under a new chef, is somewhat innovative and always excellent. The lodge is updating its cabanas, making some of the duplex cabins into suites.

I'd give Chan Chich the edge on wildlife spotting and birding. And Chan Chich has a swimming pool, which Chaa Creek badly needs.

--Lan Sluder

Pumpy Nov 27th, 2006 05:19 PM

We stayed at Chaa Creek in the summer of '05 and loved it. I hate to disagree w/ Lan (he is the expert) but we found swimming in the river much more fun and natural than a swimming pool. Just a suggestion, consider flipping your itinerary. Katie Valk helped us and we did 3 nts at Chaa (wished we'd stayed 4) and then did 7 nts at Banyan Bay on Ambergris Caye. I believe going from Jungle lodge to beach a better option (our humble opinion). FYI- our kids were age 6 & 12 and loved Chaa Creek (as did the adults...it can be a bit pricy though)

KarBiCrBr Dec 1st, 2006 08:11 PM

Thanks much for all of the input. I agree, I'd rather end up on the beach, but can't do. Going there for wedding.
Another question. You speak of swimming in the river...what creatures should I be aware of? Crocks? Snakes? I'm brave, but not REAL brave. Ha.

Pausanias Dec 2nd, 2006 08:33 AM

I think a pool would be a nice addition, but we enjoyed swimming in the river, too. Trouble is, by the time you climb back up to the lodge, you're hot again. Would also be a nice place to just "hang" in the afternoon. Don't think there are any dangerous critters in the river.

One of the highlights was taking a canoe upstream (free) for a short paddle. There's a nice beach about a half mile away. The better route is said to be downstream (charge for canoe retrieval), but we didn't have time.

hopefulist Dec 2nd, 2006 12:35 PM

We took canoes from there to San Ignacio but it was a longer and hotter trip than we expected. We enjoyed the river and the hiking trails are great.

astein12 Dec 3rd, 2006 12:33 PM

Forgot one cool thing that we did at Chaa Creek... A guided night hike.

We went out after dinner looking for nocturnal animals, tarantulas, etc. Creepy and cool!

Also, the butterfly farm at Chaa Creek is pretty neat (Blue Morphas).

Pumpy Dec 13th, 2006 06:16 PM

There are no critters in the river. The water is clear, cool and inviting. We canoed down to San Ignacio and found it to be a very leisurely way to spend an afternoon. I also agree with Astein who recommended the night nature walk. It was a highlight for the kids and something we still talk about. We saw a fox, armadillo, tarantulas, etc....very fun