cerviche? okay, I'm claiming ingnorance

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But....what is CERVICHE? I've gone from thinking some sort of sea creature to beer. So please, would someone tell me? thank you
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:49 AM

Cerviche is basically any white fleshed fish marinated in lime (or lemon) juice and some other flavourings depending upon the chef. The acid "cooks" the fish and it is always moist and tasty, especially with a nice Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand or an aged Reisling from Southj Australia.
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:30 AM
Original Poster

So are you saying that it is basically RAW FISH? like sushi? OK, I'll pass on the cerviche, thank you. My husband and daughter would probably try it but not my son and me. Thanks for the answer!
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:28 AM

Beena, the texture is like cooked fish, the acid does the cooking, a chemical cook as opposed to a heat cook. That didn't make you feel any better about it did it !
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:45 AM

Hi beena,

Marko gave you a very good description of what (actually spelled) ceviche is.

I have had shrimp, conch, fish and octopus/squid ceviche all over Mexico and the Caribbean, and you are truly missing out if you don't give it a try.

Marko is correct in telling you that the fish is cooked by the acids in the lime juice.

It's not the same as sushi at all. If you get the shrimp, it has the same pink appearance and texture as boiled shrimp. (I usually suggest the shrimp for first-timers as it is similar in appearance to a fresh shrimp salad.)

There are usually tomatoes and onions in it as well. I have made it once at home, and it was good, but without the Caribbean in front of my house (some day!) it just wasn't quite the same!

Give it a try - it's delicious.
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:59 AM

I love ceviche. Usually my first food eaten whenever I get to Central America or the Caribbean. Several bar/restaurants on Isla Mujeres serve it gratis when you order a drink.

There's even a restaurant in New Orleans that has a ceviche 'tasting' platter where they serve three different styles of ceviche. Next time I'm down there, I'm going to find that restaurant.
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:22 AM

Ah beena, definitely give it a try. I don't care for sushi at all, but enjoy ceviche tremendously. It is a delicious appetizer. Nothing about it makes me think of eating raw fish. I consider it cooked, and the tomatoes, onions, cilantro make it truly excellent! Just one little bite. . . ., come on!
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:03 AM

Beena, try it! I don't like seafood or sushi but I really like ceviche. It's sort of like salsa, but better.
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:14 AM

Yes. Delicious! The seafood actaullay cures and cooks with the acids. So no, it's not technically raw even if heat isn't used. Have you ever had carpaccio? Sort of a similar concept. Anyway, if you're skiddish about it, the shrimp is best for a beginner, but I assure you. It looks, and tatstes cooked. Definitely try it!
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:19 AM

BTW...a lot of times the shrimp ceviche is actually boiled or poached at first. For expediency sake, they boil the shrimp. In any case, here's an amazingly easy and ooooh so yummy recipe my husband made just the other night and it has poached shrimp. It's got the usual tanginess, but a great twist with the coconut milk. It's really great. Try it!!!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._29759,00.html
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:40 AM

FYI it's CEVICHE not ceRviche.
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes please, for the correct spelling... drop the "R".

It's ceviche & it's delicious. Nothing like sushi at all (actually I like sushi, I just mean there's no similarity to these two dishes except they are both fish).

When white fish is used - petrale sole is a favorite here in Seattle - for the dish it is raw and then "cooked" by soaking in the lime juice overnight. When shrimp is used it is cooked first then marinated in the citrus.

Old May 13th, 2005, 01:57 PM

I was once fishing off the far north east coast of Queensland and we caught a Queenfish, not known for its eating quality, the guide cut a fillet of it chopped into threequarter inch cubes put in a tupperware container with lime juice and some balsamic vinegar and some onion and "secret" bush herbs and we ate it 30 minutes later.... exquisite ! He called it Nummus (sp).
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:00 PM

Sushi is anything(quite often cooked!) with rice, isn't sashimi just the cuts of raw fish. A lot of people like sushi but not nearly as many come at Sashimi!
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

WOW, what a response to CEVICHE (I think I was thinking cerveza or something!) I get what you all are saying about it actually being "cooked" in the acids, BUT if it ain't hot or warm, it ain't cooked either! I know, I know, big baby. It think it is probably because I don't really like fish in the first place. I love shellfish but don't like the fishy flavor of fish (gee imagine fish being fishy-lol!) ANYWAY, I WILL TRY THE CEVICHE IN SOME FORM OR ANOTHER, PERHAPS THE SHRIMP AND GO FROM THERE! Thanks for all the input everyone and I must say you did make it sound almost good! ha-ha
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ceviche tastes less fishy than a piece of broiled fish actually. It's really more a pickle-y kind of taste, not to mention all the cilantro, onions, etc.

Old May 13th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

It is starting to sound a bit better, almost sounds like our salsa here or pico de gallo except with ceviche. I do like tangy lime flavor so we will see. Maybe with a good tangy lime margarita to wash it down with!
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:45 PM

You should try it. We did. I like sushi and love fish but have to say it tasted a little raw and fishy to me. But when I go back I know I will try it again. I do belive it is an aquired taste and I will do my best to aquire it.
Old May 14th, 2005, 04:42 AM

Most sushi is raw fish on or wrapped in rice. But sushi can actually be anything so prepared. Vegetable sushi is quite common. Cooked egg sushi, too. Also eel sushi is usually broiled with a thick, sweet sauce that caramelizes. Shrimp is often cooked for sushi, though there is also raw shrimp sushi.

Sashimi is just the raw fish with no rice--and it is my preference. I had to get very drunk before I first tried sushi and sashimi on Cheju Island in Korea almost 35 years ago.
Old May 14th, 2005, 06:12 AM

actually, ceviche is prepared differently in each latin american country. Some add tomatoes, some add milk, some add celery; however, the main concept is that the fish (white sturdy fish, not flaky) is marinated in lime juice, some countries use lemon juice, but lime juice is preferred because it's more acidic. I prefer my ceviche prepared with lime juice, salt, pepper, fresh parsley, red onions, hot chilli peppers, and served with sweet potato or corn, and if I was in Peru I would have it with "canchita" which is the dry peruvian corn, and then toasted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -