Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Cell Phone, Digital Phone, or Family Radio System, or Pagers?

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 10:58 AM
AJ

Will my cell or digital phone work in Akumal area of the Yucatan? Also, will me kids' FRS, free channel, "walkie-talkies" work? Will me eldest son now 16, I'm thinking of giving him a touch of independence on our next holiday, but I sure want to be able to reach him...

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 10:59 AM
AJ

"Will me eldest son..." What on earth???

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 11:01 AM
AJ

Sorry about the gibberish! But the question still stands. Thanks.

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 11:20 AM
Spearhead

No-one can answer your cell phone question except your service provider. Why haven't you tried calling them?

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 12:22 PM
kim

Sorry not to sound rude or anything, but have you thought about the fact that if your son has more freedom, he might not want to be bothered by his dad and will just put his cell phone off??? Like he is hooking up with a girl and his dad calls him......anyway, you can always leave a message for him at the hotel or something right? This was just a tip and...i think it was funny, like straight out of Scotland..me elder son. Greetings Kim

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 07:24 AM
AJ

Kim, you didn't sound rude at all. But here is the deal. We're not staying in a busy resort area, where we can leave messages at the hotel, etc. We're staying in a villa on the beach in a relatively isolated part of Mexico. His excursions will more likely be sea kayaking and hiking than poolside with a girl (ideally, he'll be sea kayaking and hiking with a girl!) He wants to have some form of communication with us, for emergency reasons, and vice versa.

Anyway, I've tried calling Sprint and Airtouch, and they seem to give me uncertain responses. I'll keep trying.

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 12:50 PM
Christie

Your cell phone SHOULD work in Mexico, provided that there is even cell service inthe area you mentioned. The phones from all over North America use the same operating system. However, the local carriers in Mexico may not have a roaming agreement with your carrier, so there is a chance you'll have to use a credit card to make long distance calls. Be warned: these calls will be REALLY expensive- like over $1 per minute! I would higly advise AGAINST using a cell phone to make casual international calls- keep it for emergencies. (hint: I work in telecommunications for a global company)

Also, you set your son up to be a victim of a crime if he goes off a resort- many thieves in the area would probably love to have a cell phone! I advise against turning a 16 year old CHILD loose in a foreign country under all circumstances...