Search

Casual vacation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Tess

Casual vacation

Hi, all.<BR><BR>My SO and I are interested in finding a different area for vacation (Carribean or Latin America).<BR><BR>We prefer someplace where one can stay in casual dress at all times (i.e. no dress code at dinner).<BR><BR>We've been to Costa Rica twice (loved it) and know how casual it is there, but were wondering if anyone has any input on where else might be nice, but casual.<BR><BR>Thanks for any info!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Ana

I absolutely love St. Maarten. Totally casual, great beaches, restaurants. Relaxing and beautiful.<BR><BR>Ana

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Nancy

I suggest Playa del Carmen on Mexican Caribbean coast. It doesn't get much more laid back than that.<BR>St. Maarten is OK, but not quite as casual, and I didn't care that much for it. (BUT, I was only there for a day trip, so I really don't know that much about it.)<BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 06:19 AM
Tess

Thanks, guys!<BR><BR>Anyone else have suggestions? Agree/Disagree w/ St. Maarten, Playa del Carmen?<BR><BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 07:16 AM
Jason

I have been to PDC but never to St. Martin/Maarten. I assume PDC would be much cheaper (food, flight, hotels) but still probably have the same or better service and qualtiy hotel.<BR><BR>St. Mart. probably has better food selection, but again, more expensive and probably more crime, etc. <BR><BR><BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:10 AM
Kim

I also recommend PDC. you can get great package deals...AI, flight, room, etc. it's becoming more 'touristy', but still a great...very laid back...vacation. at the resort we stayed, we only had a dress code in the specialty restaurant. we didn't feel like getting dressed, so we never ate in there. you could also check into Puerto Morelos (probably spelled wrong). it's about 20 north of PDC. still a small fishing village.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 05:17 AM
Carole

Try the Tankah/Tulum area of Mexico. Very laid back, good food, great beaches, archaeological sites, cenotes. The area has much more to offer than any of the Caribbean islands, and less expensive. http://CasaTropical.com<BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 12:14 PM
Pacifico

The Pacific coast of Mexico !!! Puerto Vallarata, Ixtapa/Zijuatenejo, Manzanillo.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:25 PM
Diane

If you are a complete beach vacation type person, try a beach area listed as in the top 10 in the world.....Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. I've been to both the Mayan Riviera and Punta Cana and Punta Cana is better from a beach point of view (also better and more reliable weather...less rain and generally hotter than Mayan riviera). We stayed at the Iberostar Dominicana and the food was better there than the three Mayan Riviera resorts I've stayed at. If you want to read more about Punta Cana, try this website.....www.debbiesdominicantravel.com We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Punta Cana (my husband says the golf courses are better in Punta Cana also). Try it...you'll love it. P.S. IT'S MUCH CHEAPER!