Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Casa Magna Cancun in December? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/casa-magna-cancun-in-december-566448/)

MommyofThree2004 Oct 23rd, 2005 05:35 PM

Casa Magna Cancun in December?

My family has booked a vacation to Cancun over New Year's. We are booked at Casa Magna Marriott. Since I have never had to consider a natural disaster possibly derailing our plans, I was wondering what would be the best source for information on whether to continue or postpone our trip. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!!! And my thoughts go to everyone living/vacationing in that area.

Little_Man Oct 24th, 2005 08:23 AM

There is a possibility it will be open, but I doubt it, the Casa Magna received heavy damage. I'd call Marriott directly.

Jean_Valjean Oct 24th, 2005 10:14 AM

I read today that Cancun should be ready for tourists again by December... Most buildings should be able to stand a hurricane with little structural damage, but with a huge mess to clean up and a lot of broken windows to replace.

My biggest concern, after human lives and housing, would be the state of the beach. It eroded significantly with Gilbert, and this one was three times as strong...

Little_Man Oct 24th, 2005 10:35 AM

true, Jean, the buildings can be rebuilt, but if they have lost the beautiful beach, it will be awful for Cancun and the Riviera Maya.

eileen Oct 24th, 2005 10:38 AM

Marriott just announced they are closing all hotels in Cancun through at least December.

MommyofThree2004 Oct 24th, 2005 06:39 PM

We had to cancel our reservation. We are now considering a trip to PDC or Isla Mujeres in mid-March but am running into problems with availability. SOOOO frustrating!!!!

eileen Oct 25th, 2005 04:42 AM

PDC was heavily damaged. Doubt it will be fully back in business by March. You might want to look at a totally different area of Mexico, such as Puerta Vallarta or Ixtapa.

Jean_Valjean Oct 25th, 2005 05:22 AM

I was just reading this morning on Mexican media that the beach was all but washed out. 60,000 of the 70,000 hotel rooms in the area have been damaged...

Curt Oct 25th, 2005 07:15 AM

Marriott web site states that JW, Casa Magna, and Ritz all closed until at least end of year. They hope to be able to take guests for new years partys.

Curt Oct 25th, 2005 07:17 AM

Other things I have read indicates that the damage in Playa Del Carmen, while heavy, is not as bad as Cancun and expectations are that much of that area will be back on line soon.

inthechips2 Oct 25th, 2005 07:38 AM

I'm having trouble finding info about Isla Mujeres. Does anyone know how they came through Wilma?

Ally Oct 25th, 2005 08:50 AM

For Isla, check out www.islatravelers.com forums. Reports are sketchy because there is no electric or phone and the ferry's have not started running yet, but some reports are coming through.

As for PDC, some of the hotels will be just fine for March. The Playa Maya, for example, will be just fine!

Little_Man Oct 26th, 2005 07:20 AM

the new info is that the Marriotts will not be taking reservations through at least mid-April.