Cartagena Colombia Tours

Old Feb 8th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cartagena Colombia Tours

My husband and I will be in cartagena for a short 5hrs off a cruiseship. I would like any comments or suggestions on the following tours options we have available; A 2hr cruise of the inner bay or a place called Villa Babilla outside cartagena. If we don't take a tour from the ship, I would like to take a cab to see the view from La Popa monastery. Has anyone done this? If so, how much for a cab and also does he wait for you or do you set a time for pickup?
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 05:59 AM

5 hours isn´t much but I think that a visit to the old city and the fortificatins are worth the effort. Guided tours are readily available at the dock. Just ask. I took a tour which included the old fortifications and the monestary. It took about 5 hours though.

In my opinion take the old city asnd fortification tour. Hope this helps
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Mike,
Thanks alot for the suggestion!!
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 04:57 PM

This webpage might give you some ideas; it lists 39 things to do in that city..

http://caribenet.com/cartagena/article.php3?sid=36
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 06:34 PM

When you leave the ship ask the taxi starter for an english speaking guide..and tell him to take you to La Popa, the Fort, if you feel like you want to climb to the top.. and my favorite areas..The old city..this city has been revitalized with galleries and shops over the years despite neglect from the Government. Behind all those wooden doors are lovely homes and restaurants. Also, you might want to go to the Dungeons for shoppng.. they have some fabulous sik macrame shawls (just before you leave the terminal check out the leather and shawl prices). there is a popular shopping center that the tourists are taken to and the only thing worthwhile is to go upstairs to the leather and the craft stores..The shops will push "emeralds"..so be careful.
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 01:29 AM

I recently spent a week in Cartagena on vacation. I would suggest skipping both the ships tours and La Popa monastery. A cruise of the bay is ok, but that is not what makes the city special - and ditto for the view fromt he monastery - they take the tours there because it is handy for busses to get to and good from a crowd control standpoint.

I would suggest taking a cab to the old city, and wnadering around. The streets, parks, buildings are really lovely. Walk on the walls, visit the Catherdral, poke around in some old buildings, go down some side streets. Take another cab back to the ship.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:57 PM

Howard: Is it called the "Old City?" Will a cab driver know it in English as the Old City? I'm going there on a cruise and would like to see this but don't want to screw up with the language since I will be a lone female.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:03 PM

PS - Parrot Mom: you say the shops will pushs emeralds so be careful. I'm a little dull and inexperienced here. Is there a restriction, or are the emeralds phony or just overpriced or what? Never been to this area but am going next year so if you would, please explain these warnings to me. Thanks!!
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 06:11 AM

Dottee: We're stopping at Cartagena on a cruise in Feb. and have similar questions to yours. Please share any info you get. Thanks.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 08:03 AM

Geee.. surprised to see my old post..lol..First when you get off the ship.. check out the terminal.. they have some beautiful hand crocheted shaws..DON'T BUY THEM.. just check the prices..lol.. Then if your with other people and I'm sure you'll find other people on the cruise..get an a/c taxi and driver that speaks english...there is a "starter" there.. Just re-read my post from 2003..lol.. Emeralds are very big down there..I'm not an emerald fan myself.. The emeralds are real and you can bring them back..probably uncut.. or in a piece.. they can be selling you on the street for heavens sake colored glass.. Wish I had spent more time in the old city...but in the dungeons.. the vendors outside are very aggressive, and shop around for the shawls..some are silk and some are just plain macrame.. I believe they are made in prison by women..I can't remember if there is a Sterns shop in Cartegena at the shopping center or one other big Caribbean chain... You will be able to get an idea from the shops on the ship what is a good bargain.
I do like Howards advice about exploring the city, but if you don't speak spanish..that's not a good idea..I rteally would liked to have explored the Old City much more.. there are great restaurants behind those big wooden doors. We are off to Morocco this December and Iwe are going to hire a private guide to go where we want...not the cruise ships guide..I would love to just wander the souks in Marakesh and outside of Agadair..
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 06:15 PM

LOL, ParrotMom: Guess I wasn't looking at the dates when I posted. I'm just so careful to check posts on a certain subject before posting new questions because otherwise the posting-police jump all over you!

Thanks for you advice...Have fun in Morocco!
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 07:22 AM

HI DOTTEE...it seems to far away.. by doing some readnng of other tourists we know to try to avoid Casablanca no matter how intriguing it sounds...one of the problems we are running into tht Fez and Marakesh are many hours away.I want to see snake charmers, monkeys, okay birds too, I want to be overwhelmed by the massive crowds..Outside Agadir ( short stop port) there is a Berber village..lthere is so much to see in this world. and so little time..Cartegena was one of our first vacactions more than 20years ago..left over hippies from the US, restaurants that took advantage of poor tourists and yet..I would go back in a heart beat.. The Dungeons really are fun.. but it's the vendors outside that drive you crazy.. the "shopping center" where they take the tourists..lots of tourists and jewelry stores..If remember right.. upstais is a lovely leather shop..friendly people.. Wish i had the opportunity to go for few weeks..Oh yes.. the fort..well, the fort is something else..with the statue of the idiot who lost an arm and a leg and kept on fighting..lol.. we walked up to the top trwice and I was in better shape...and it was an experience.. I know Romancing the Stone was supposedly set there but it was filmed in Mexico.. My favorite memory was spending New Years eve in the fort with a pile of people with fireworks, traditional music, paella, wine, all if I remember by candlelight...and then the fun part... trying to get a taxi to take us back to the hotel...lol.. ah yes.. Parrot Mom has lots of memories....the same trip with two taxis going out to a village where it was known forit's crafts dodging big pigs, donkeys, soldiers, and crazy taxi drivers.. The last time we were there on a cruise ship we were in the Old city and there was a religious procession going into the church,,a lady washing in the fountain.. So, Dottee how can I remember all this at my age and can't figure out where I've put thigs..lol
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 09:26 AM

ParrotMom: I'm afraid if I went to Casablanca I'd be looking for Rick's..."Everyone goes to Rick's"...heh, heh. But I'm pretty certain that I would not find Bogart or Bergman in any of the markets.

Can't wait to hear your report when you return, based solely on your sense of humor!