Carrry-on or checked bags

Old May 11th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carrry-on or checked bags

I'm starting to think about what to pack for our first trip to CR, leaving in about 10 days. Because we're flying Nature Air from MA to SJO, we'll need to keep the weight of our luggage under 30 lbs a piece. I figured we could probably save some time at the SJO airport (when we arrive the first day) by just using carry-on luggage. Now I'm worried about what we're not allowed to bring in carry-on -- like any sprays (I'm thinking about bug repellent) or larger quantities of sunscreen.

So I guess I'm wondering if the time saved by skipping the whole bag-checking and retrieval will be worth it - considering what we'd have to leave out of our bags. Any thoughts?
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:39 AM

If you're interested, my CA packing list is #15 on the FAQ thread of the Thorntree Forum (you may have to copy and paste):

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/me...=1&iCountryId=

I'm a huge carry-on only fan. It can sometimes save you hours of waiting for luggage and standing in long lines; just head out of the plane and hop through immigration and customs before the crowds hit. I've never been to CR, though.

Who wants to lug around too much stuff anyway - it can be embarrassing and exhausting. I'm heading back to Guatemala for 3-4 weeks this summer and have played with what will fit in my quart zip and I'll be fine for that long if I take solid soap and deoderant. I don't take sprays, though. Here's the scoop:

http://www.tsa.gov/311

There's my 2 cents' worth.
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:58 AM

We just got back, and we checked luggage. We had no delays in baggage claim - it was really fast - maybe this was because immigration had some delays, so by the time we got to baggage everything was already out there! For me I've always found it easier to not have to lug the bags through the airport through immigration to get to customs, even carry on size - I'd rather just pick them up at the end! Also, when you have connecting flights, why carry them through the airport - have the airlines do it for you.

Personally, I don't mind checking luggage, as long as it doesn't get lost
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:13 PM

We just returned from CR as well. We opted to take carry on bags. It worked quite well for us. I purchased small plastic bottles and filled them with sunscreen, etc. We also brought sunscreen wipes, sunscreen stick and a small bottle of bug repellent. It was nice to walk off the plane and walk stright through immigration and custom.
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:52 PM

There are certainly pros and cons to both. We tend to prefer carry on, but that's a new thing for us. We've always checked before. Lately, we've made a huge effort to travel lighter. I like it.

We buy sunscreen and repellent after we arrive--readily available at the larger stores. Mas X Menos just a short distance up toward Alajuela from the airport has everything you'll need. Everything else is easy to get into the quart sized bags.

I guess you're next up for departure after hipvirgochick. Have a great time!
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:32 PM

I too prefer to travel light and carry-on and always have until my last trip this past Feb. only because of the liquid restrictions. I speak only of the Liberia airport but it was time consuming and a hassle. Not only was it a pain to retrieve our bags when we arrived but our departing flight was canceled and we had to retrieve our bags AGAIN on a Saturday amongst the maddening crowd of arrivals. It was horrendous and Liberia was not set up for baggage claims.
And it turned out that we took so much more than we had intended just because we decided to check. Those darn liquids!