Carribean Is. or Mexico???

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Lynn

Carribean Is. or Mexico???

I am trying still to make plans for myself and my teenager and have been thinking about Cozumel or Playa del Carmen. Now I am wondering about Carribean Is. likeSt. Kitts or Gr. Cayman. It's a 1st visit and we are looking for really beautiful warm water, snorkeling, no big crowds. A little site-seeing a a different cultural flavor would be nice. I'm open to all-inc. This is for July-- 1 week. Help!!!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Nancy

Hi Lynn,
I go to both Mexico and Caribbean every year. Some differences: flights, food and lodging less expensive in Mexico, not as lush or tropical in Yucatan as the rest of the Caribbean.
Both have a lot of really exciting cultural enrichment to be had - food, music, people. Grand Cayman VERY expensive - even in off-season. St. Kitts is one of my favorite islands, but sometimes the visible poverty there disturbs some people.
You might also consider the British Virgin Islands. It's a good intro to the Caribbean and has all you are looking for...

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Patty

Depends on your budget, your vacation dollars will go much farther in Mexico than in most parts of the Carribean. That said one of my favorite places is St. John, beautiful beaches, very quiet, nice laid back atmosphere. If you want don't want crowds, I would stay away from an all-inclusive.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Patty

Sorry, that should read "If you don't want crowds..."

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Karen

As a single mother I took my daughter as a child to club meds and family all-inclusives and as a teen we rented houses in Grenada, Vieques,PR, and Akumal and also did the Florida Keys always in late June on early July. We loved everywhere for different reasons. Grenada was lush and beautiful and we did some great hiking,the snorkling was only so-so,people were charming. Akumal was sensational snorkling, great house rental (Las Casitas), and ruins of Coba & Tulum were easy trips and in late June were deserted which was great but In July the Mexican people take back their rental homes at Las Casitas and it is generally busier everywhere.My daughter was a good traveler but like most teens, I think she would have liked some opportunities to meet some kids her own age which is definately an advantage at an all inclusive.In July nowhere has "big crowds" (there tends to be more families than snowbirds),we even found some restaurants "closed for the season" in Grenada!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 12:14 AM
Lenleigh

Lynn -

I think I replied on another post of yours. I havent been to St Kitts but have been to Grand Cayman and now Playa Del Carmen. Grand Cayman is nice, 7MB is a nice beach but definitly more crowded than where we stayed in Playacar. Also it is a lot more expensive than Mexico and we found the locals in Cayman to be somewhat lazy and rude. I was amazed at how great our staff was in Playacar as well as in town. I think you would experience more culture in Mexico with the mexican influence/culture and of course the Mayan Ruins. However, the water is definitly calmer in GC. So it is kind of a toss up, neither really meet everything you are looking for. You will definitly see less people than other times of year at both places as it's rainy season and very very hot. The water is beautiful and warm in both places,both offer snorkeling and both have all-inclusives to choose from. We did an all-inclusive in GC as well. Only thing I really don't like is that you get food that is usually very americanized when I would rather try more local food. Burgers and Pasta get really old every day.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:07 PM
mh

I would second Patty's enthusiastic recommendation of St. John. However, would add the proviso that if you stay outside of Cruz Bay, I found the ups and downs of the roads really scary to drive and also tried not to drive after dark (which arrives at 6 pm). So if you're centrally located and don't need to jeep around every day, it's probably less hair-raising. Check out the Maho Bay camps and the Harmony ones-they apparently have bus service around the island, too.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:07 PM
ta

Why not do both and go to Cozumel or Playa del carmen in Mexico. Cozumel is great for snorkeling or scuba and Playa Del Carmen is awesome with great beaches, shopping, and some nightlife, without being touristy as Cancun.