Carnival in Cozumel

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 03:18 PM
Susan

Carnival in Cozumel

It seem early to be planning a winter vacation, but does anyone out there know when the carnival is held in Cozumel? We were fortunate enough to be there a few years ago during carnival and really enjoyed it. I can't seem to find anything on the internet about it. We'd like to go back to Cozumel in February or March 2000 and ideally we could schedule our trip to be there for carnival. I'm hoping someone can help. Thanks.

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 11:20 AM
TC

Susan; Carnival is the week of March 4th in the year 2000 (unless it is an election year when Carnival is moved forward by a week). It is definately NOT too early to plan this trip. Most good hotel rooms book at least a year in advance for Carnival week. The week before Carnival is also a good time. There are tons of activities, like queen contests, street dance competitions, children's parades, etc. the week leading up to Carnival. In the actual Carnival week there are three parades - on Saturday, one on Monday and the final and largest parade on Tuesday (Fat Tuesday). We travel to Cozumel every year for a month or so and have been for Carnival many times. <BR>Don't hesitate to make a costume and march in the parade. Everyone is welcome. If you have more quetions, just send me an email.

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 03:25 AM
Pancho

Carnaval is a pre lenten celebration. As such it usually starts on the Friday before Ash Wednesday and ends on Tuesday.

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 12:27 PM
Susan

Thanks for the replies. After sending my note, I was told that Carnival was 40 days before Easter, which would have put the Tuesday parade on March 14. But Ash Wednesday is March 8, so based on that, the Tuesday parade is March 7. That may still be a little late for me - being a Canadian who hates winter, I really like to get away in February! But we'll see - we did enjoy carnival last time around and would love to see it again. Thanks again for the info.

Old Sep 11th, 1999, 05:10 AM
TC

Susan; A wonderful web site for holiday and festival dates around the world is www.holidayfestival.com This site lists holidays for every country imaginable.