Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Caribbean Rent a Car - Cancun/Car Rental (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/caribbean-rent-a-car-cancun-car-rental-952727/)

patandhank Oct 5th, 2012 08:37 AM

Caribbean Rent a Car - Cancun/Car Rental

Anyone have any recent experience with the above agency? We are headed south of Cancun to Riveria Mayakoba in January for a family wedding and right now have reservations with Hertz. The above company's rates include the insurance and come out very reasonable compared to the costs with Hertz. Unfortunately any reviews I can find are fairly old.

Any input from anyone who has rented in Cancun within the past several months?

jamie99 Oct 5th, 2012 10:36 AM

Sorry have experience with them but 3 years ago. They were fine at the time, car was fairly new and charges were as quoted, even gave us a ride to the ferry to Isla Mujeres for free. Only annoying thing is they have a timeshare guy in their office, but no problem and lots of places have this.

Have also used Easyway 3 times and last two trips my friend rented from them and I paid my share, last trip was a brand new Nissan Tilda.

emd3 Oct 6th, 2012 11:51 AM

I have used Caribbean rent car 12 times in the last 15 months (since we bought a condo in Playa del Carmen, I have rented from them every trip down there for the purchase trip, closings, and trips to stay in the condo, go to the annual meeting, etc.) They know me by sight and by name now.

Make sure you get a fairly new car from them. During Semana Santa time (week before Easter) last yr. we got an older car that gave us trouble and we had to return it and get a diff. car. If there is anything wrong w/the car (a dashboard light is on, etc.) refuse to accept it.

Also, be careful if you have an early morning flight out. They do not open til 8 a.m. and sometimes are not there right at 8 a.m. Once I had a 9 a.m. flight and was told they'd have someone meet me at their office so I could return the car and get a ride to airport at 7 a.m. But they never showed up. In the end it was not a big deal because I just did the common sense thing and drove to the airport, left the keys under the car mat and door unlocked, and called them when I got home and told them what I had done, and they went and got the car, end of story.

It is Mexico after all, there are gliches, things don't always happen the way they would in the USA, and after 12 rentals I am satisfied overall and still renting from them - have two rentals for upcoming trips in Nov. and Dec.

If you follow those guidelines, we have had good experiences w/them. They are definitely much less pricey than the few other rent car places that offer you all the insurance in the price they quote.

I just wish they had a frewquent renters program, lol, bc I'd have a free week rental by now I think.

patandhank Oct 6th, 2012 12:21 PM

Thanks to both of you for the input!

jamie99 Oct 7th, 2012 10:20 AM

emd3 - If not already a member, join Locogringo.com, they offer a 5 or 10% discount to members from what I read on that forum.

jcwiz Jan 4th, 2013 09:54 AM

Hi! Just came back from Merida 2 days ago and I had the worst experience with them! I made my reservations 2 months in advance and I even recieved an email 1 day before arriving to Merida with a confirmation number and telling me that there would be someone at the airport waiting for us. The day we arrived to Merida after picking up our baggage I recieved a call to my cell phone from the office of Caribbean rent a car telling me they had no cars left to rent and that noone would pick us up to take us to our hotel, eventhou I have a reservation they just told me everything was booked and they could no do any thing about it! and they just hang up the phone!! I was really upset because I was travelling with my 1 year old baby (I even booked a child seat with them). We tryed to rent a car at the airport but as you can imagine everything was booked. We had to take the bus to Merida and rent a car in downtown AVIS, which I have to say they had the same rates plus you know you have all the assistance. I cant imagine what would happen in case of an accident with Caribbean´s cars! Not a trustworhty company at all!! Please be careful.
Have a nice trip!

joej123 Feb 2nd, 2014 11:29 AM

I have had a terrible experience with Hertz, Cancun.
We were forced to take a car that was seriously unsafe and damaged. We asked them for a different car and they reassured us the car was fine. It started to break down on us in the middle of a long drive through the countryside. We got stuck in a rainstorm only ot find the windscreen wipers didn't work either and the engine was losing power.
We were on the phone to us EVERY day of our holiday and had to finish the rest of our trip on a bus as the car wouldn't work. They picked up the car from us, confirmed they had it at their depot, and now claim they don't have it, and have put a bill in for around $3,200!!!
Also they will try and tell you at the counter that whatever insurance you have bought is useless. (This isn't true). They have created a scheme to extort money from tourists by making them afraid to drive the car without paying this. We even asked the manager and he said it wasn't necessary, yet the reps at the desk will argue aggressively that it is, to make the comission.

I don't write bad reviews, but I feel it is my duty to pass on this information as they take advantage of tourists, and put them in dangerous situations.
And they will take no responsibility for your safety.
I have never come across a shadier company in my life, and I am shocked that they carry the Hertz name, which is one that I have trusted before.
Simply out, Hertz Cancun is a scam.

If you have had a good experience with them, count yourself lucky.

As far as customer service, forget about it, I am still contacting the management every week (have been for over a month), and they are still ignoring the messages...