Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Need help with Costa Rica trip!! Suggestions please :)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am beginning to plan a trip to Costa Rica for feb/march 2014. It's my DH and I plus another couple. We're super adventurous and want to do a fun filled trip without bring too touristy. We'd love to do lots of nature activities, maybe a little beach and the boys want to do a deep sea fishing day trip. I really want to see the volcanos and canopy forests. And as much wildlife as possible!

What kind of itinerary do yall recommend? We are looking at 10 days with a little wiggle room. What are must sees, the best areas to visit, and how to get around? Thanks!!
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 10:17 AM
RAC

Sport fishing and as much wlidlife as possible would seem to call for a trip to the Osa, splitting time between Puerto Jimenez and somewhere in the Matapalo area.

However, it would not be cheap and it would be diving headfirst into the most off the grid area in the country.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks RAC! After some research Osa sounds worth checking out. I'm ok with not cheap but totally off the grid sounds a bit daunting. Lol
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 01:42 PM

We love the Osa, but if you want a more on the grid experience, Manuel Antonio is really nice. Tons of activities, it's lush and beautiful, great beach inside the national park, easy access to fairly tame wildlife, and many hotel and restaurant choices. There are huge fishing tournaments held there. It's popular with tourists, but not tacky touristy if that makes sense. Tulemar Bungalows is a fantastic place to stay. And since you're super adventurous, I'd take a look at pairing it with La Fortuna/Arenal where you can zipline at Sky Trek and do other cool adventure activities. Take a look and see what you think. It has the volcano area and is lush and pretty. If you decide you want off the grid, Bosque del Cabo is really popular.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks volcanogirl! Do y'all think in 10 days Arenal/ La Fortuna and a trek to the Osa would be do-able? Or would Manuel Antonio be a better bet/ closer?
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 06:20 PM

I really think you could do either one. The Osa has great hiking and wildlife but less infrastructure. Manuel Antonio is very easy to get around. We could walk to tons of restaurants from our hotel, and there are a lot more activity choices. It really just depends on your own personal preference. Manuel Antonio has air conditioning and all that. At our place on the Osa we didn't even have locks on our doors because it's so remote. Not enough power to run a blow dryer, but jaw dropping wildlife sightings. If I wanted cushy, I'd go with Manuel Antonio, and if I wanted more off the grid get away from it all, I'd go with the Osa. I'd pair Arenal with one of those two.
Old Aug 8th, 2013, 06:57 AM

vc has described the differences very well. If you're the type who enjoys the peace of occasional camping (though you probably won't be), doesn't freak out at the sight of a bug, and can live without blown-tried hair, I'd go for the Osa. If you're happier with a livelier environment with all the creature comforts, choose M.A.
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 08:27 AM

Well said, Cat!