caracas airport hotel

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 11:35 AM
italian

caracas airport hotel

does anyone have info on the airport hotels? do you know anything about the "Hotel Aeropuerto". it's suppose to be about 60USD a night. we arrive feb14 at 10pm. i have gotten feedback that says the area is very dangerous at night. also what about the taxis being safe? also should i buy my air tickets to margarita island before i go or get them when we get there? the price that always comes up buying in the US is 152.00. thank,suzy

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 07:19 AM
mc

Hi Susan
May I ask why you want to stay near the airport? The area is not nice at all. If you have a couple of days to spare before your trip to Margarita I suggest that you stay in Caracas. The airport is not in the city, it is about 1.5 hours away.
Always make sure that the taxi is a legal one, and always agree on the price of the ride before entering the car. The newer taxis (white, small cars), give the best service.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 02:02 PM
PG

Just returned yesterday. I was in Caracas overnight only - and stayed at a hotel about 10 minutes away called il Presano. It costed me around $50. During my trip I came across a Japanese who was robbed in a taxi that he took to go to Caracas City from the airport.
When you reach the airport - spend about 15 minutes to look around for impotant notices and pieces of information. THe most vital is to use only "registered" taxis (most of which are black Ford Expeditions). You can prepay for these taxis at counters at the airport.
But perhaps the best idea would be to ask your tour operator (if you are using one) to arrange for airport-hotel tansfers.
Venezuela is a beautiful country (or so we foud on our tour of the South and South East). Unfortunately, on this forum most comments are from unpleasant experiences fellow fodorites have had in Caracas. I heard that the govt there is taking steps to solve the crime problem there - but you have to be a smart tourist once you are in any foreign land.
I don't know if ou are American, but the foreign tourists there are mainly Europeans (other than beach resorts where Americans like to go).
Let me know if you have any more questions. Have a good trip.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 02:36 PM
mc

PG is right: the taxis at the airport are big black cars. I was talking about the taxis in Caracas when I mentioned the small white cars.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 02:54 PM
suzy

thank you for the response- i'm also thinking of hiring a car and driver to take us to puerto la cuz to the ferry to go to margarita instead of flying. would that be worth the drive and ferry ride? how much time would the drive take and what do you think the cost would be for the hire. i thought it might be a fun drive, however i will be bring 3 teenagers who are always in a hurry to get to the pool. we would fly back to caracas on our departure date on the 23rd of feb.i think the drive to the ferry would be interesting since if we go right to the island that would be all of ven we would see. what do you think?

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 11:46 AM
mc

Susan
The ride from Caracas to Puerto La Cruz will probably be between 4-5 hours. I have no idea of the cost of this ride.
Most of the people that drive to Pto La Cruz and take the ferry do so because they want to take their cars to Margarita, I've never known anybody who does this as a pleasure thing.
If you still want to go by ferry, there are some new ferries that depart from La Guaira. They are faster than those that depart from Pto. La Cruz, and they are supposed to be nicer inside. This is the webpage of the company that manages the ferries www.conferry.com (in Spanish). Also, I would recommend that if you do decide to go by ferry, make sure to have reservations.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 01:12 PM
suzy

mc- the reason we wanted to stay at the airport is because we get in late i didn't want to go into caracas especially at night. the hotel i told you about in my first post is in cati la mar. i called them from the us and they said they would send a taxi for us and took my flight information. the taxi is suppose to be 12.00USD do you think that would be safe? how can i make sure they are a legal licensed taxi? also do you know if i should buy our flight ticket to margarita from here? that is if we don't do the car hire to the ferry. where is La Guaira? thank you for the help...s

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 01:52 PM
traveller

Do not try to taxi from Caracus to Pto La Cruz. I had bruise marks on my leg from gripping it in fear. Instead fly for the few dollars it costs. Much less than driving.

We decided to do the drive rather than fly on our second trip to Ven. To fly for four would have cost us about what it cost us to drive but we would have been there flying in 45 - 60 uneventful minutes. The drive was a nightmare. You have no idea what this drive is like until you experience it. The worst drivers in the world. We passed the most horrendous accidents we had ever seen but were not surprised. Our surprise was that we were not involved in one of those accidents.

So do the fly thing. From Pto. la Cruz (actually I believe the aeropuerto is at a neighboring city) fly to Margarita.

If you must stay in the Caracus airport area, taxi to Macuto. There are nice places to stay there that are cheap.

For $152 for tickets, I would buy before I go. Saves you a lot of hassle for a couple of bucks savings.

Do watch your luggage closely in the Caracus airport. Don't let any supposed sky caps take it away from you. Hang onto it for dear life.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 02:01 PM
suzy

thanks traveller for the first hand experience information. flying does sound more and more appealing. i would like to find out about the new ferries from pto la guaira because it looks like it is close to the caracas airport. suzy

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 03:34 PM
mc

Susan
Sorry, I forgot to mention that La Guaira is very close to the airport.
I think that if the hotel is sending somebody to pick you up then you won't have any problem. I think it would be a good idea to spend the night in Catia la Mar and then take the ferry from La Guaira the next day. Or flying the next day. I agree that maybe flying would be a better experience than the ferry.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 04:50 PM
suzy

hi mc- thanks, i live in the seattle area and we have the ferry system all over the place so we are used to that. i was just trying to compare cost since the 5 airline tickets would be 760.00 round trip. can you find out about the la guaira ferry and pass that along to me with the cost and length of the trip, i can't seem to find that info. also the return schedule, we might just fly back to caracas on the return since the plane doesn't leave until 6pm. suzy

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 08:14 AM
mc

Hi Suzy
Yes, the website is not very good, it doesn't say anything about the prices or length of the trip. I think that the best thing is to give them a call, or ask the hotel to find out that information for you. I would call them but I'm not in Venezuela right now. The phone number for the main office in Caracas is 58-212-7932030 and 58-212-7819711. They are open from Monday to Friday. The office in La Guaira is also open from Monday to Friday and the number is 58-212-3312053 and 58-212-3312156. I really think that asking the hotel to find out that information for you would be the best.
I am going to Venezuela in 15 days. If you can wait that long, I could find that information for you and then drop you an email.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 11:59 AM
suzy

mc-thanks alot, please do email me when you get bacl ven-where are you now? s

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 12:03 PM
mc

Great! I'll email you in two weeks. Right now I'm in Alberta.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Abe

The info about the ferry is in their website:
it's a 5 hour trip and it costs about 31000Bs ~42$ per person.
be advised: they dont have daily service, departures from La Guaira
on low season are on Fridays at 3pm and on Mondays at 8am, only.
on high season are on Tuesday, Thursday and Fridays at 3pm and on Mondays at 8am.
If you want to visit more of Venezuela in your stay, you can take day trips to Canaima from Margarita although they are not cheap. And if you want to take a look at Caracas then you may consider staying at hotel in Caracas and taking a day tour.