Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Car Rental Recommendation (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/car-rental-recommendation-493270/)

BobJ Jan 6th, 2005 04:07 PM

Car Rental Recommendation

I need some advice on pick up & drop off locations for a car rental in early Feb. We will be staying at the Gran de Oro hotel in SJO. Will rental companies deliver a car to the hotel, or do we need to go to their location?

Then, a week later we are flying out of SJO / Pavas airport to Puerto Jimenez. Are there car rental companies at the Pavas airport?

Finally, does anyone have a recomendation for a car rental company - we need a 4 wheel drive suitable for 4 adults.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Bob

glover Jan 6th, 2005 04:39 PM

Rental car companies will deliver to the hotel. Much more pleasant than killing time in their office, if you ask me. We stayed at Le Bergerac Hotel and had them arrange our rental car. They got it (a 4 wheel Terios - just fine) from Adobe, and they were good. We've also rented from Elegante in the past without problem.

glover Jan 6th, 2005 04:39 PM

Rental car companies will deliver to the hotel. Much more pleasant than killing time in their office, if you ask me. We stayed at Le Bergerac Hotel and had them arrange our rental car. They got it (a 4 wheel Terios - just fine for two adults) from Adobe, and they were good. We've also rented from Elegante in the past without problem.

shillmac Jan 6th, 2005 04:43 PM

Bob, yes, the agencies will deliver to your hotel. Most of them have offices near the airport and on the Paseo Colon in town. We have used Dollar and Tricolor. Tricolor has consistently beat all other companies in price for us, but we thought Dollar was excellent as well--just a little pricier. So many Fodorites post positive reviews of their favorite car rental companies. I think you can't go wrong with Dollar, Tricolor, Poas, Adobe, Mapache, Budget, Pay-Less, or any of the companies. They seem very competitive. Dollar, Poas, Tricolor, Adobe get the most reviews, it seems, on Fodor's.

Don't know about renting at Pavas, but am guessing you could have a car delivered there if not.

BobJ Jan 6th, 2005 06:17 PM

My thanks to Glover and Shillmac for the speedy advice, much appreciated.

As an aside: Shillmac, I see the amount of really good free advice you offer on this forum - thank you so much for your help! I hope the traveling gods treat you well.

Bob

cinepez Jan 7th, 2005 09:45 AM

Adobe delivered a Mitsubishi Montero 4x4 to us at Pavas Airport- met us right off our plane. It was easy and quick. I am sure they can arrange picking up a car from there as well.

Iza Jan 7th, 2005 10:39 AM

We had Dollar deliver a car for us to Pavas - at no extra charge. I am sure they can pick it from there as well. Or you could return the car to their downtown office and have them give you a ride to the airport - they did that us as well. We had very good service from them and very good prices for a large SUV (I shopped around and their price was best for a large SUV with automatic transmission).