Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Car Rental - Mayan Rivierra, Cancun (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/car-rental-mayan-rivierra-cancun-362794/)

columbiaman Oct 2nd, 2003 11:20 AM

Car Rental - Mayan Rivierra, Cancun

We are travelling with family to the Mayan Rivierra (Akumal), in Dec. Based on the transfer rates, we were wondering if it made sense to rent a car in Cancun. Weekly rentals are anywhere from $170 to $240 for an economy car. My credit card company tells me that the Collission Insurance on the rentals are covered as well (however, not liability). My questions are:

1. Should we rent a car?
2. Is the CC insurance sufficient?
3. Is it fairly straightforward to drive in Akumal?

Pls advise.

mayte Oct 2nd, 2003 04:23 PM

Unless you want a car for the week, you might want to check into Cancun Valet. Not sure the price to Akumal, but they charge $65 one way to Playa and that is for up to 11 people. You need to reserve over the internet. They will pick you up at the airport-they are prompt and very dependable. If you rent a car, I would reserve online. If you are going around Christmas, you probably won't find a car, or pay a very high price. There is much confusion about the insurance and your credit card. So this is what I will tell you-only Mexican insurance is accepted in Mexico. If you should get into an accident-everyone is considered guilty. And you will not be allowed to leave the country until all parties have been paid. If your cc guarantees full payment in the event of an accident, then why buy the insurance. But the insurance is only $15 a day for the collison and something like $3 a day for the medical. Its worth it-no worries. By the way the drive from the airport to Akumal is straightforward. Good Luck!

columbiaman Oct 3rd, 2003 04:19 AM

If I rent a car should I buy Insurance from the car agency itself (like they do in USA)? Cars are available if I book now. I will also check out the valet place. Thanks!

Mariarosa Oct 3rd, 2003 10:56 AM

Two important facts that you may not know:

1) Credit card collision coverage is secondary to your home car insurance. Meaning that whatever your car insurance doesn't cover, AmEx will cover. So, you should also contact your insurance company and find out if they cover you at all in Mexico.

2) The so-called local 'insurance' that the car rental place offers has a HUGE deductible (and they don't volunteer this information, you have to ask) in the $750 - 1,500 range. This means that if there's a little damage to the car (a fender - bender, a blown tire that "may" have been caused by inapropriate driving) you will be responsible for those charges UP TO THE DEDUCTIBLE AMOUNT. And unlike European contries where you can pay for a $0 deductible insurance, my exprience with Executive, Avis and Hertz is that they simply do not offer a $0 deductible local insurance.

At least with your cc insurance you know that between your home car insurance and your credit card they will cover you 100%, even if you have to charge a certain amount on your credit card in Mexico and get reimbursed later.

The decision comes down to whether you want to take the risk of having to deal with paperwork, but potentially save $750 - 1,500 or whether you would rather run the risk of having to pay up to $1,500 but knowing that you will not be responsible for more than that amount.

columbiaman Oct 3rd, 2003 12:30 PM

After reading much on the board I am pretty clear that the topic is mostly not well understood and fear seems to take over. Here is what I have found:

1. Mastercard provides AutoInsurance Worldwide for folks whose credit limit is over $2K (as of this writing). MC enumerates eligibility requirements for this on their site at:

http://www.mastercard.com/cardholder...insurance.html

It is for a trip less than 15 days and yes it provides Worldwide coverage. It only covers collision damage. To be eligible you must decline coverage by the rental company and charge full amount to the MC.... (Read about it more at the link). MC does say that it is secondary coverage. Further, they add that it becomes primary where your primary coverage does not exist. There is no deductible either.

Most other major credit cards may offer similar collision coverage.

2. I noticed that renting from Hertz, you are covered for liability for up to $35,000.

http://www.hertz.com/servlet/ByrServ...OAD_FRAMESET=1

Most major car rental may offer similar liability coverage.

MasterCard and Hertz are both International companies. They both provide local numbers for assistance. Between 1 & 2 both Collision and Liability are covered.

What do you think?

-----------
Views expressed by me should not be construed as legal advise.

mayte Oct 3rd, 2003 02:24 PM

I think all this is getting very complicated. We have been renting in Mexico for 15 years. When we rent, the agency(and we have rented from many different ones)will make two credit card slips-one for the deductible(in case of an accident)and one for the actual rental. When you return the car, the deductible charge slip is torn up. I also have a friend that works for a car rental agency in Playa-his advise is take the insurance, its not that much and you won't have to be worrying all vacation if your cc will take care of it.