Search

Car Rental in Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2007, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental in Costa Rica

As posted previously my girlfriend and I are planning our first trip to CR. I had originally ruled out a rental car due to what I expect to be an unnecessary cost but I'd like some advice. We'll fly into Liberia, go to Playa Hermosa for 2 nights, then to Arenal for 3 nights, Monteverde for 2 nights and back to Playa Hermosa or Playas del Coco for the last night before returning to Liberia to return home. How much would a rental for the 9 days set me back and will it be worth it? Please give pros and cons, thanks! Also does anyone know if there's a view of the lava at Arenal from the Montana de fuego? I hear the lava changes sides and I don't want to book the hotel at a little more than I really want to pay if the view isn't going to include the lava flow.
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:41 PM

If you are planning on moving around that much, I think a car rental would be cheaper and give you more freedom than paying for transportation between each place. I live in Guanacaste and use Adobe, Mapache or Solid to rent cars from the Liberia airport. The price is usually $45 - $65/day depending on the exact rental dates. This rate is for a Terios (a small 4WD with room for 4) and would be perfect for you (I wouldn't spend more on a larger car if it is just the 2 of you). The rates include free mileage, taxes and basic CR insurance as required by law. I would check with your credit card to see if they offer additional insurance in Costa Rica, (some cards do not) before purchasing any additional insurance from the rental company. I am not familiar enough with Montana del Fuego to know if there is a view of the lava flow. Have you asked the hotel directly? Hope this helps!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:43 AM

According to your info...and if you like to drive and get lost...Rent A Car!!It will be worth it!! You will save so much time...and of course money as well!!

The lava flows you will see them, from Arenal Paraiso, Montana de Fuego, Mountain Paradise, etc...

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:28 AM

The last I heard, the lava flow was on the other side (towards Arenal Observatory lodge). You will get a good view of the volcano but not the lava from Montana de Fuego.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:36 AM

We've driven in some places in CR ourselves, but there is NO WAY I would drive to or from Monteverde. The roads are horrible and very narrow--I was scared enough as it was, with a very careful Interbus driver driving us in a van. I kept feeling like we could drop off the edge of the mountain at any moment, and the only reason we weren't was because the driver knew the roads and was careful. I know people drive themselves, but I don't know how they do it!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice! Looks like our trip has been cut short a little bit, regrettably, so I'm not sure what we're going to do.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:42 PM

I was at the Arenal area two days ago...and I saw from my friends El Novillo restaurant and across from Arenal Paraiso...what we call a lava flows... is a better view from Observatory...but to me lava flow..is to see a bunch of the red lava coming down...that is what I saw two days ago..I most know what a lava flow is...I was in the Arenal area even the day of the last huge explosion...that devasted Tabacon!! I am talking many years ago...when even some of the members of this forum were just babies!!

R.A Luis

Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:39 PM

Good! It's moved back around to the north--that's what I was hoping for!

Must've been quite a day, roadadvisor. And you're aging yourself! Regrettably, I was well past the baby stage at that time!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:28 PM

Wow it is coming down from both sides now? That is good to know. The Observatory Lodge site just has it listed as being on the northwest side.

Glad I can tell my niece and her daughter that they will get to see it. Hope I get a clear night when I meet them there. I have seen it a couple of times and it is awesome!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:29 PM

Incredible how times goes by! My high school was and still is located in Santa Clara...and I remember the many nights I was fully wake and seat at the dormitory door and see some incredible eruptions...I was a young kid then...now many years later I seat any where near the volcano and I still have the same impression as the first day!!

R.A Luis