Which Tortuguero Lodge for 2 night visit in January?

Old Aug 13th, 2017, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Tortuguero Lodge for 2 night visit in January?

2 friends and are planning to join a 3 day/2 night package tour from San José, Costa Rica to Tortuguero in January; we'll fly to the Osa Peninsula the morning of the 3rd day, flight leaves at 7:35am. We prefer 3 beds in 1 room to needing to pay for 2 rooms.

I've read reviews and package details and these lodges have similarly-priced, apparently comparable options:
Mawamba Lodge
Pachira Lodge
Laguna Lodge Tortuguero
Turtle Beach Lodge

Is there anyone out there who has stayed at or has awareness of these options and would be willing to chime in? I'm especially interested in the comparative locations, settings, and room configurations. Other area lodges' packages are significantly more expensive but I'd be interested if anyone has strong opinions about additional options in the area, as well. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 13th, 2017, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Evergreen could be included in that list, too - there have been some 'guides acted bored' type reviews lately, though. I know the guides can make a break a trip.
Old Aug 13th, 2017, 07:25 AM

I don't really think there's much difference in those lodges; they seem to all get pretty similar reviews. Most of them will put you in a group that you do all your tours with and dine with. We picked Tortuga Lodge because we wanted to dine on our own and do tours on our own, but it is a more expensive place. I think you could be happy at any of those spots if you're okay with the group setup.

Is it important to you to be on the beach side? Our lodge wasn't on the beach side, so we had to take a quick boat trip across which we were fine with. You can't really swim there due to crocs, rough tides, bull sharks, etc. Also some have better kayaking options if that's something you're interested in and want to research. The whole area is canal based, so some guests like to take kayaks out to explore on their own, not sure if all the lodges have that option. The guides at Tortuga were excellent. Are you guys boating in? That's an excellent way to see wildlife - crocs, otters, monkeys, toucans, blue morphos, roseate spoonbills - you never know what you'll see. Not sure about turtles during that time frame. The season for the ones we saw was July through October.
Old Aug 13th, 2017, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your input. I think we've decided to splurge on Bosque del Cabo at the end of the trip; we're shooting for a mix of more moderate priced options and then splashing out occasionally. I enjoy kayaking but I don't think it is something my ttravel mates will be interested in. Time will tell!
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 01:51 AM

Bosque del Cabo is fantastic - amazing hiking and wildlife sightings. I think you'll really enjoy that.
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

I booked our Tortuguero tour through Turtle Bay Lodge - their package includes more tours and they have a room for us with 3 beds which most of the places don't. I do understand the value of private vs group but I think this will work for us and will help balance out the budget given my BdC decision. Plus I'd like to head back to Tortuguero at some point in the future - maybe with my husband - during turtle season.
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 03:33 PM

Do you mean Turtle Beach? Have not heard of Turtle Bay, but maybe I just haven't heard of it. 3 beds in a room is hard to find. Glad you found your spot.
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Yes - sorry, Turtle Beach Lodge.
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 04:49 PM

Hipvirgochick stayed there and really loved it. I don't think she posts much here anymore, but she was very happy with it.
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

I remember her - good to know!