Car Rental Domincal

Feb 26th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Car Rental Domincal

Hi, we're taking a bus from San Jose to Domincal, is there a car rental service in Domincal????? If so, what is the rental service??? We don't want to go over death mountain but want to spend our time in Domincal, Uvita, etc. Another ?, back packers, any hotel recommendatios. Thanks for your input.
Feb 27th, 2005, 12:55 AM

Hello, I donīt know a rental company in Dominical. There is Elegant rent a car in Quepos. Thatīs one hour from Domincal away.
Saludos
costaklaus - www.costaricaweb.de
Feb 27th, 2005, 05:57 AM

Just to clarily (as best I can). The highway to San Isidro from San Jose (Cerro de la Muerte) is called Highway of Death not because of a high incidence of traffic fatalities! Long ago, before the highway was paved in the 50's, there was a lot of foot traffic (and probably horses and oxen) moving products such as coffee to the coast. It was a long and difficult journey at high altitudes and some didn't make it. The highway today is a great way to drive, although it does get clouded over in the afternoon and shouldn't be driven at night.

It is an excellent route (IMO) to Dominical (the last leg between San Isidro and Dominical especially scenic), and if you can travel it early in the day, provides fabulous scenic views of the Valle de El General. We traveled this road on the public bus system last summer and enjoyed the experience very much! The condition of the road is improved over recent years. There is a lot of truck and bus traffic, but of course, that is true on all the major highways.

It actually would be a nice alternative route to Dominical because the road between Quepos and Dominical is reportedly still very rough.

Feb 27th, 2005, 08:53 AM

>>(Cerro de la Muerte) is called Highway of Death>>

It's a great drive, an is the most challenging part of the Interamericana Hwy thru CR.

Actually known as "Hill of Death" or "Mountain of Death" for a history long before the highway existed, as Shillmac explained.

"Highway of Death," a Tico explained to me, is more a nickname that visitors perpetuate, a bum-rap since it gives an innacurate assumption of high traffic fatalities.
Feb 27th, 2005, 10:43 AM

Thanks for setting that straight, Tomas. I forget that "cerro" is hill or mountain. Guess I was thinking "Carretera of Death"

Agree that it is a wonderful road to travel. The vistas were spectacular! But then, most CR vistas are!
Mar 4th, 2005, 04:43 AM

We just returned from Dominical, and survived the "highway of death", Before we left Arenal we asked which way would be the fastest and people actually discouraged us from taking the IAH. Don't know about a car rental in Dominical, but we stayed at the Coconut Grove, bought the best fruit at the stall in town and had pastries from the bakery, dinner at Jazzy's on Wednesday. If you want to try something different try the Tree of Life tours trek into the hills and spend the night in a cave(an outcropping rock ledge)with waterfalls and rappelling.(people thought we were nuts doing this but it was the highlight of our trip)check out their website or Dominical.biz
Mar 4th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Bluesmoke2.....did you drive straight through to Domincal from Arenal? We are going to try the route through San Isidro and just wondered how long it took you. Glad to hear you did not sustain any facial disfigurement from the kamikaze bats....that would freak me out and I like bats!
Mar 5th, 2005, 12:58 AM

Message: yes we drove straight through,it took us @7hrs because we got a little off track trying to make the connection to the IAH it is not well marked but once we found it it was smooth sailing. The biggest potholes were on the hill coming into Dominical.