Capricorn tours?

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:49 PM
jennifer

Capricorn tours?

Has anyone traveled with Capricorn to Latin American? I found a "Reefs & Rainforest" trip, hotel and air for $935 - too good to be true?

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:51 PM
a

Frommer's highly recommends them. One of their packages is listed in almost every issue under the best bargains.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Dawn

I had a very negative experience with this agency. We called last April to book a trip through them to Costa Rica. I called with a specific trip in mind including accomodations. Really all they had to do was put the package together that we requested and book the international airline tickets. After a week and a half, I called to checkup on the trip and they had not done anything and she was a bit irritated that I called to check. She told me that she would call once things were completed. I requested that she just go ahead a fax me the information once it was all completed, she refused. She said that she would just call and let me know the price and if I was still interested then she would send me the fax and I said that was fine (even though I thought it was a bit odd). Another interesting tid bit is that I mentioned to her that we wanted to go to Corcovado National Park in the south of the country instead of the rainforest that they typically send their clients to and she had never heard of the park and was a little put off that I did not want to go to Manuel Antonio. I called once more about two weeks later to check again and once again I got no response. I eventually booked with Costa Rica Experts and I was very, very happy with them. I am still waiting to hear back from that agent at Capricorn.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Lan Sluder

From what I've seen Capricorn buys bulk space at low prices at a small number of hotels in a given country and ties that in with a good airfare. If one of the hotels meets your needs, then it can be a good deal. I haven't used them but have heard almost universally positive comments about their Belize packages.

But at least on these discount packages I don't believe they are full-service travel agents. So if you need that, another agent might be better.

--Lan Sluder
<who has written both Frommer's and Fodor's guidebooks>

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 01:30 PM
Lisa

We used Capricorn and they were wonderful! I did my research before calling them so I had an idea of where I wanted to stay and what I wanted to do. I also found out how much it would cost if I booked hotel and air seperately. I couldn't beat the price!
Everything is arranged for you - inter island air, pick-up etc.
I highly recommend them - this is from someone who never uses a travel agent.
Enjoy!

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Jane

Hi,
We used Capricorn in early June for a one week package to the Sunbreeze Hotel on Ambergris Caye from NY. We felt it was very good value overall (flight,transfer,hotel). They wwere a little brusque on the phone, didn't want to discuss too much, no one in the office seemed to have been to the hotel etc. Our gut told us that this was Costco! Turned out alright. Go with them for the value. The hotel was great, clean, nice restaurant,near everything.
Jane