Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   capitan suizo up to date info please. (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/capitan-suizo-up-to-date-info-please-402906/)

eilidh Feb 24th, 2004 05:09 AM

capitan suizo up to date info please.

Message: Can anyone give me up to date details of this hotel.
Can you go diving from this resort? Other excursions?
Do the rooms have A/C?
Was told bungalows don't have A/C - isn't it too hot in July to do without?
Is the beach nice?
How is the food?

Possibly travelling in July this year - heard that it is quite a family oriented resort - going as a couple for relaxation. Does anyone know when school holidays are in July in USA. Many thanks in advance for help.

Iza Feb 24th, 2004 05:27 AM

Stayed at Capitan Suizo in August of 2003. It was our third stay there. The bungalows do not have A/C but we found them comfortable in August. The rooms in the main building have A/C if they are on the ground floor, the ones upstairs do not have A/C.

Not sure about diving from there. Other excursions you can take would be horse back riding (the hotel has its own stable with horses that are well taken care of), canopy tour, a trip to Rincon de la Vieja (volcanic national park). We also like exploring the surrounding towns and beaches (Brasilito, Playa Conchal, Playa Flamingo, Playa Negra, Playa Avellana).

Food at Capitan Suizo is good, very European (German and Swiss influences, I think the chef is Swiss). Service is very pleasant and quick. We always enjoy that restaurant.

Capitan Suizo is now even more family oriented than it was 3-4 years ago. We go with our daughter who has a blast there, but I am not sure I would pick it for quiet relaxation. July will definitely be busy with kids. July and August are vacation months for schools in USA.

The Tamarindo beach is great for walking and sunset watching but I would not recommend it for swimming. Capitan Suizo is on the quieter end, but even that is now much busier than it used to be.

eilidh Feb 24th, 2004 08:10 AM

Thanks for info - hotel sounds good and perhaps best of bunch in this area according to reports read on here but worried about lots of kids around & may not be best bet for couple. Planning week in Manuel Antonio (mangrove tour/beaches and animals in park) and week in Guanacaste because it is driest area in July. But heard mixed feelings about Tamarindo and now completely stuck with what is best for second week - would still like luxury/nice beach/quietish. Any help much appreceiated. Thanks

Iza Feb 24th, 2004 09:19 AM

Capitan Suizo is very nice but Tamarindo may be just too busy for what you are looking for. It got really built up and the beach is not as nice as it used to be.

If you are looking for something relaxing, quiet and luxurious, try Florblanca in Malpais/Santa Teresa. We enjoyed it a lot. The beach is beautiful there.

There is also a new Four Seasons that is supposed to be very nice in the Papagayo area. Two other places: Villa Caletas may be a good option for you - it is about an hour north of Manuel Antonio but not in Guanacaste, or Punta Islita which is in Guanacaste.

All of these places are smaller high end hotels. If you like bigger resorts, Melia Playa Conchal (I think it may be Paradisus now) is supposedly very nice. I haven't stayed there but visited the beach a few times and it is one of the nicest in Costa Rica.

Ally Feb 24th, 2004 09:36 AM

Iza has great suggestions as usual. Just wanted to add one, as the others are a bit pricey.
You may want to check Sueno Del Mar. It's a romantic B&B. While is it located in Tamarindo, it's not too close to town so is more quiet and has a nicer beach, but Tamarindo is not too far away for restaurants and activities.

fluffnfold Mar 1st, 2004 04:28 AM

I just returned on 2/28 from 4 days in Tamarindo at Capitan Suizo. We stayed in a first floor room which had A/C that worked really well. It is breezy, so I can see how the second floor rooms might be okay without it, or even the first few bungalows that are closer to the beach. But you could (not) luck out and get a bungalow closer to the road and the main hotel building, in which case I would recommend the A/C. It felt like it was in the high 90s last week, and I imagine that July would be much hotter.

The hotel has lots of howler monkeys around. One day we counted 11 in the trees next to the pool. This was priceless, in my opinion. Lots of great landscaping and foliage.

We only ate breakfast (continental is included with your room rate), which was good. Many different types of fruit (watermelon, papaya, mango, bananas, canteloupe, pineapple) and pastries (chocolate crossaints, plain crossaints, about seven different types of bread), cereal, yogurt, and juices.

There were only two children there when we were, and they were well behaved. I thought the hotel and grounds was somewhat romantic, so don't think of it as a family place.

It was an easy 10 minute walk to town on a paved road; lighting at night was fairly good. You could also walk on the beach, which was quicker and cooler in the daytime. The beach was prettier than I expected. Of course it wasn't the aquamarine water of the Caribbean, but the darker blues and rocky areas were attractive. There are horses on the beach, but we didn't encounter any of their droppings that so many people have been complaining about.

While I liked Capitan Suizo (my husband loved it), I preferred Cala Luna. It was much more stylish and elegant and appealing to me. (My husband thought these qualities made it more "manufactured".) Cala Luna was really romantic, and we had an awesome dinner there poolside under the stars. The only drawbacks are that it is not directly on the beach (I think I read that it is a 5 minute walk), and that it is an additional 5 minutes walk from town.

Iza Mar 1st, 2004 11:06 AM

Fluffnfold, welcome back. Glad you enjoyed Capitan Suizo and Tamarindo. Please post a trip report - we would like to read about other places you visited!