isle mujeres vs playa del carmen - honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2011, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi I'm currently planing my honeymoon and am interested in both playa del carmen and isle mujeres in mexcio. one of my co-workers went to isle mujeres last year and raves about how wonderful the trip was and how great the island is. playa del carmen seems more "luxurious", but I also like the idea of a smaller island and being with locals. any suggestions or opinions would be great. i'm a person that likes both an AI and some nights outs so I need a place where I can afford to do both and i'm wondering if playa del carmen is expensive due to all the tourism. thanks!
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 06:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Playa del Carmen has places in all price ranges. I think either would be great for a honeymoon. I've not been to that side but I've read a lot and seen lot so photos of the area. I don't think place is more "luxurious" than the other, that would depends on the type of hotel or resort you choose. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think one is more necessarily more expensive or touristy than the other. I have the impression of Isla being a little sleepier and Playa more bussling?
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 07:15 AM
KVR

Why did your co-worker rave about Isla Mujeres? From what she stated is that something that would interest you for a honeymoon? Isla is very small with not much to do, so if your interested in just lying on the beach and chatting up the locals then it would be a good option. You can rent a golf cart and ride around the Island in about 30 minutes. Not much nightlife, but maybe hanging at a beach bar and chatting. We went to Playa twice before going to Isla and returned to Playa this past December.

The Playa del Carmen area is much more spread out. Plenty of things to see and do to keep you busy and entertained if you are looking for that. 5th Avenue in Playa has tons of restuarants, bars, shopping and entertainment. Off property you have Mayan ruins, centoes, snorkeling, eco parks, caves, etc.

You find resorts, AI's and smaller hotels in Playa in all price ranges.

I guess it would help to know what you want to do on your honeymoon if anything in order to make a recommendation of the 2 areas.

If your interested I have pictures of both destinations on our picture page at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

kvr - my co-worker said it was very laid back on isle and relaxing. i would def like a nightlife. i'm looking in playa and the place hotel i like best is secrets, but apparently it's not near the 5th ave area. the royal is near 5th, but doesn't seem as nice. have you stayed at either? any suggestions for where to stay in playa? i wouldn't mind if i needed a short cab ride to get to downtown playa i'm just wondering if secrets is far away. thanks!
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 10:33 AM

If you're looking for large all-inclusive resorts with tons of restaurants, large pools, and lots of people, look at the Playa area. There are some all inclusives on Isla, but, they're smaller properties without some of the 'glitz' that the larger properties have.

If you plan on doing tours and exploring the Yucatan, I'd go with Playa.

Personally, I prefer Isla, much smaller and quieter. Generally seems cheaper. How long is your trip? Consider splitting your time.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 11:31 AM

I'd think more about what you want to do with your time. If you'd like to check out Mayan ruins, snorkel with sea turtles, visit a monkey sanctuary, etc., then some place on the mainland might make more sense; there are lots of options in addition to Playa.

If you want laid back charm and don't plan a lot of tours, Isla may be a better choice. If you're going between mid June and mid September you can snorkel with whale sharks from there - awesome!

My photos, blogs, and travelogues from 2 trips to the area in the last 10 months are below. Congratulations and happy trails!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 04:25 AM

isla vs pdc. isla has only golf carts to get around the island. pdc is so busy that they closed down a section to cars. isla nightlife is a beer in an open air bar. pdc has many bars,clubs & dancing. on isla shop for tshirts. pdc shop duty free for all sorts of things including silver & perfume, etc. i think the only really lux resort on isla is villa rolandi.

go to locogringo.com and find secrets capri & the royal. at the bottom of each hotel page is an airplane to click on - shows you where hotel is in relation to pdc. secrets is out of town but i'd bet they have regular shuttle into town.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 04:58 AM

Have been to both PDC far better for what you want

IM small remote not much to do

a few decent not great hotels/food

snorkel decent that is about it.

Have a look at Screts Maroma or Similar awesome

cancun.bookit.com

Congrats!
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 06:54 AM
KVR

ash85,

Check out this map for hotel location in conjunction to Playa del Carmen.

http://www.cancunhotellocator.com/ri...ya_hotels.html

We have stayed at the Royal Playa del Carmen and loved it. It's a 5 minute walk to 5th Avenue. The location is perfect if you want to be that close to the action.

Secrets Maroma Beach and the Iberostar Grand Parasio get really great reviews. No, I haven't stayed at either of those. I would guesstimate about a 20 minute cab ride to 5th Avenue. I believe those hotels may offer a shuttle at certain times of the day. I would think that Secrets and the Iberostar are a step-up from the Royal, but not by much. Also look at the El Dorado Maraoma Beach. It's much smaller and more intimate than Secrets and the Ibeorstar.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

thank you all so much. i'm thinking i'll be going to PDC and maybe considering doing like 3 day on IM. PDC seems much more in line with what we like to do. secrets look amazing. I wish it were closer to downtown, but I'm okay with paying for a cab 1 or 2 nights and stay in the hotel the rest of the time we're there. the royal looks nice too and I really like that it's in the center of everything, but I think i'll also like that secrets is secluded. if you guys have any opinions about secrets vs the royal that would be wonderful. thanks again!
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:10 AM
KVR

Just a FYI, if you want to spend time on Isla also, you'll need transportation to the ferry dock in Cancun and then take the ferry over to Isla. We stayed at the Avalon Beach hotel, which was the only AI at that time. AI there was not necessary. Instead get a hotel closer to the strip/beach area and just walk to resturants/bars or rent a golf cart to get to everything.

I don't think you can go wrong with either hotel in Playa. I think the only real difference is location, location, location. I'll give that the beach at Secrets is probably a little better.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much. i'm considering doing maybe 3 nights at isle and the rest in playa. thanks!
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 07:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
As kvr said there is not much to do on IM. Aren't you on your honeymoon...?
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 09:26 PM

I spent 2 weeks at the Royal last year and have wanted to go back there ever since I got home! The Royal is amazing. The food is excellent, the beach fantastic. The staff treat you like royalty. It is mere steps to 5th Ave. where you have all the shops,restaurants,and bars. The people are friendly and fun. This hotel is adult only and I would highly recommend it to everyone.