Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Canopy Tours: cable car or zipline? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/canopy-tours-cable-car-or-zipline-499828/)

kswl Jan 30th, 2005 08:13 PM

Canopy Tours: cable car or zipline?

I am 48, only moderately active. Husband is 46, more active than I. 13-year-old son very active. Would we do all right, as a group, doing the zipline canopy tour or should we stick to the cable car. Husband and I are both moderately overweight--sad but true.

Also, are these ziplines safe? Are they constructed to safety codes?

We have booked the CostaRica highlights tour from Ecoscapes for our first day, based on the enthusiastic recommendations of members of this forum. It looks comprehensive and wonderful, and I don't think I would have found it on my own, as it's not the tour company our hotel normally books through. Thanks for that---

shillmac Jan 31st, 2005 03:33 AM

You'll love the Highlights Tour. I'm not usually one for group tours, but this one is excellent and the groups usually small.

Yes, do the ziplines! You'll all have a blast! We've not ever done cable cars in CR, and I'm sure it would be sort of fun, but you don't see many animals as advertised, because the building of the cables usually sends them deeper into the forest. At least on the zips, you get a monumental thrill!

kswl Jan 31st, 2005 08:09 AM

Okay--I'm nervous but game! And I thought taking a Segway tour of Paris was the coolest thing I would ever do!

Thanks for the advice--this board is really helpful.

ciaodeb Jan 31st, 2005 11:28 AM

Just planning my trip. I see pictures of folks swinging along a cable line, they are hooked up to it but can move along, I assume, at their own pace. Is this a canapy tour? Do you move yourself by pulling along cable? What exactly is a, "sipline" canapy tour, how does it differ from what I see on hotel's websites as, "canapy" tour? Can you take pictures as you go? Thank you for explanation.

airwayvz Jan 31st, 2005 11:52 AM

Gravity moves you along as you are usually headed to another platform that is somewhat lower than the one you are on. There are different types of setups - some you brake yourself, some you don't have to do anything.

We went through Canapoy Safari ( www.canopysafari.com) outside of Quepos when we went, and I would recommend them for anyone that is a little nervous about going & is in the Manuel Antonio area, as you do not have to brake yourself, and they "catch" you at the end of each run.

Yes, you can take your own pictures, but you'd most likely take them from one of the platforms, not as you are zipping along. However, many tours have a professional photographer that takes pictures as you go then sells you a CD at the end if you'd like for about $20-40 or so.

And yes, a canopy tour & zipline tour are usually referring to the same thing.

Hope this helps.

last_mango Jan 31st, 2005 02:28 PM

We just did a zipline tour in Belize. Two of the participants were well into their 60s (I'm guessing). They thought they had signed up for one of the gondola style rides. They did fine. They admitted that had they known what it was that they never would have signed up but were glad that they did.

kswl Feb 1st, 2005 03:03 AM

Well, for once, gravity will be on my side. It's about time.

ciaodeb Feb 1st, 2005 05:54 PM

Thank you for explanation and website, airwayvz!

kthyrn Feb 2nd, 2005 07:21 AM

We recently did the Sky Trek zipline in Monteverde. We are 48 and 53 but in good physical condition; others in our group were all ages and wt/fitness levels. It is absolutely a BLAST-- the biggest thrill I have ever had!! Sky Trek has a self-braking system which is only used if the guides need for you to assist them; otherwise they do the braking and it works great. There were 2 guides -- 1 on the receiving end and 1 on the departing end. The 1 on the departing end gives you a hefty push to zing you along; combined with your own body wt that gets you to the other side. Occasionally you may not completely reach the other side and you have to use your hands to pull yourself to the platform. This is not usually a far distance, only a matter of 50 ft or so. There were 11 lines of varying distances and heights. One was done tandem so the additional weight would propel you along better.

By all means DO IT-- you will love it!!

tully Feb 2nd, 2005 09:46 AM

kswl - I am scared of heights, or rather, places I can possibly fall off of because I am clumsy & these things tend to happen to me. Nonetheless, I did the canopy tour in Manuel Antonio & it was one of the most exciting things I've ever done. True, on the first rappel when the guide told me to let go I grabbed him in a bear hug instead (he was cute anyway:) ) but by the 2nd rappel I felt that Tarzan (or Jane?) vibe & didn't want it to end. I hope you go, you will love it!

kswl Feb 2nd, 2005 11:11 AM

We've made our reservations, and thank all of you. One final question, as we leave tomorrow:

The highlights of Costa Rica tour mentions that the river portion of the trip takes one along the coast of Guatemala. In view of the increased warning level from the State Department, is this safe? I have emailed the tour company and they emailed back a reply that simply did not address my question at all.

tully Feb 2nd, 2005 01:38 PM

kswl - geez, I hope not! You'd have to go past Nicaragua, Honduras & El Salvador to get to the coast of Guatemala! That's a looong river ride! :) Is this the Ecoscape tour? It does include a ride on the Sarapiquí river but it's only 45 minutes or so.

kswl Feb 2nd, 2005 04:55 PM

MY BAD!---I meant, Nicaragua! The tour goes near Nicaragua---:-[