Search

Cancun, Yucatan POLICE

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:32 AM
april

Cancun, Yucatan POLICE

a friend told me that she went to cancun, was stopped by the police in her rental car, and was asked by the policeman FOR HER CAMERA. i've been warned not to bring my really nice camera (which takes really nice pictures) because of this. should i be worried?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:12 AM
August

April, I would say your friend was pretty lucky to just have to give up her camera. Outside the US you never can tell what can happen, be wary of everybody.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:14 AM
Janet

Yes, worry.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 02:15 PM
p

I've lived as a U.S citizen in many parts of Mexico for more than two years on business and vacations. Don't trust anyone. Be smart. Stay with large groups of people and in public areas. Don't ever go anywhere alone. If you go out at night and like to drink and go to bars you are increasing the risks. Just be smart and courteous and you'll be fine. And yes, do not take anything of great value with you.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Monica

I am very surprised that a policeman would just ask fro your friends camera. We have traveled all over that area in a rented car and never had any trouble with the police. My husband has an expensive digital camera and he never lets it leave his sight.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Janet

Yes, worry.<BR>

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 11:30 AM
JMM

Didnt it occur to your friend to get the license plate number of the police car and COMPLAIN to the authorities? Maybe it would have done no good but by doing nothing, she is complicit in corruption that I am sure most Mexicans would like to do without.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:21 PM
i have an idea

Take a disposable camera(s). Don't rent a car. Problem solved!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Janet

Yes, worry