Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Cancun tours/activities for toddler (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cancun-tours-activities-for-toddler-538114/)

anna Jun 20th, 2005 12:34 PM

Cancun tours/activities for toddler

We will be travelling with an 18 month old and a 7 year old to Cancun. I am researching tours that would be suitable for kids of this age. Can anyone suggest an age-appropriate tour? I would really like to see the Mayan ruins but not sure if the two kids would enjoy it. Thank you!

MaxineR Jun 21st, 2005 10:21 AM

Xcaret is supposed to be very nice for the kids.

Cinart Jun 22nd, 2005 12:04 PM

Since I don't know what your 7 year old is like, it is hard to recommend tours of ruins for little ones. They probably won't get much out of them, since they can't comprehend the significance. It is a MUCH longer trip to Chitzen Itza. But sure, if you have the energy-- take them along and they should go with the flow. As long as their tummies are full and the heat not too oppressive. The closest ruins are in Tulum--which could take about 1-2 hours to get to depending upon your choice of transportation. Most younger kids are just content to play in the sand, the pool, etc.
The Aquaworld concession in the hotel zone has an "underwater" boat (like a sub) tour which they might enjoy. Also, in Puerto Adventuras there is a Dolphin Discovery Center, where, for a $$$ price, the 7 year old can swim with the Dolphins. The concierge in your hotel can surely steer you to other options.

anna Jun 23rd, 2005 12:50 PM

Thank you for the responses. Funny how activity plans change when you travel with little ones. I was told that Chitzen Itza is about 3 hours each way by tour bus. Can anyone confirm? I'll have to look into Tulum.

TioGringo Jun 23rd, 2005 02:46 PM

Just a few thoughts...

Aquaworld, as another person suggested is a good bet, as are things like swimming with the dolphins at Parque Nizuc. My kid loves being on the beach or around the pool during the day, and we're nuts about the wide white sand and laid back feel of Playa Norte on the north end of Isla Mujers. Trips to the markets usually go over fairly well, even if our market for the evening is sometimes the mall (which somehow ends up morphing into an excuse to drag me, kicking and screaming, into Rainforest Cafe --- man I *HATE* those pits...but kids love 'em).

If you're doing the Mayan ruins thing, kids will be happier at Tulum than Chichin-Itza. Chichen-Itza is a long ride, it's a big site, it's serious. Tulum is less historically interesting or significant, but it's stunningly beautiful and you can see the site in under an hour leaving plenty of time to stroll down to the beach and let the kids doff their duds and jump into the sea for a while. Tulum is also close to Xcaret, which can be a kid mecca --- loved floating down the "river", loved the horses, loved hanging out by the dolphin cove.

Hope this helps...and have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com

anna Jun 24th, 2005 07:34 AM

Thank you Mark for your response. I REALLY enjoyed your website - thanks for sharing it. That's great that you are able to find the time to maintain a website with great content and having kids.