Cancun to Chichen Itza

Feb 5th, 2001, 02:40 PM
Don Martin

Cancun to Chichen Itza

Plan to visit the ruins on our next visit to Cancun and have read in Fodor's about the 1st class buses from El Centro to Piste where we intend to spend the night at hotel Dolores Alba. A friend has heard that the bus ride from Cancun was a grueling 4 hour trip. Anyone with experience?
Don Martin

Feb 6th, 2001, 12:24 PM
KJ

I took the bus provided by my travel package from Cancun to Chichen Itza. It was a little over 3 hours. Pretty boring, trees, trees, trees. But not awful. On the way back, the bus guide stopped a got a movie to play on the bus. It was an american movie, in spanish, with english subtitles.

Anyway, the bus ride was definitely worth it because Chichen Itza was amazing!!!

Just bring water and snacks (for the bus), a rain poncho if it is hurricane season (no shelter at Chichen Itza) and loads of sunblock!!

Tulum was another amazing trip from Cancun, just remember to bring your swimsuit because there are ruins right by the ocean!!

Have fun!

Feb 6th, 2001, 07:49 PM
stephanie

I did the side trip to Chichen Itza a couple of years ago. The bus ride was over 3 hours, as I remember, but it wasn't too bad. We left so early in the morning that we dozed during much of the ride anyway. The ruins are well worth the trip. Bring sunblock and lots of water as you'll be walking quite a bit.

Feb 7th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Rebecca

Hi. We rented a car for the day and drove ourselves and had an absolute blast. If you are adventurous - I would suggest driving yourself. Stop off at Valladoloid (not sure of spelling) It is a beautiful city on the way to Chichen Itza. If you want to get there quick take the Toll Road which is a very nice highway. If you have time take the regular route and drive through the villages. Be careful of speed bumps and people on the road though. Either way you go it is so worth it. Enjoy.

PS. Take water and snacks! and plenty of film. Oh Also - you will probably have people come up to you saying they are guides. We got a guide who was really great and enhanced our experience. It's not expensive. The signage is in Spanish only.

Feb 7th, 2001, 08:01 AM
Kimi

We took the bus ride back in 1998 & it was great. Well worth it just to see teh ruins. Bus ride wasn't bad - went through a small town & got great pics - got to see some of the countryside. Had lunch at a restaurant on the way back w/entertainment, also nice. We slept during some of the ride both ways, which kinda shortened the trip. It will be great, don't worry, have a good time!

Feb 7th, 2001, 08:53 AM
Tina

A long ride (3 hrs plus, if memory serves me), but DEFINITELY worth the visit.

VERY IMPORTANT TO NOTE --- being on the coast Cancun enjoys the benefit of ocean breezes and temps, although higher in summer, really are fairly comfortable.
Chichen Itza is INLAND, as in the midst of the jungle --- so, it will be a bit warmer and more humid. When I was there in December (quite a few yrs ago), I noticed quite a difference (FYI, at the time of this trip I was still living in New England).

Now that I'm in Texas, I'd imagine the 'feel' of Chichen Itza to be not much different than Dallas in July.

Feb 7th, 2001, 05:19 PM
mexicodan

Just rent a car for a week and get to the ruin at 8am when they open up. That way you beat the bus crowds when they arrive later. It gives you some peace and quiet and great pics with no one climbing all over the ruins.

Adios!

[email protected]
www.choice1.com/villamontana.htm