Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Cancun- spending a week and would you renta a car. If so what's the best choice.

Cancun- spending a week and would you renta a car. If so what's the best choice.

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Jamin

Hi, was wondering if renting a car in Cancun is very expensive. There are 6 of us, what would you recommend?? Best deals on cars??We will be staying in the Royal Caribbean

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Nancy

Hi Jamin,
I would only rent a car/van if you are going to be driving out of Cancun a lot to go, say, to Playa del Carmen or other points South.
All of the shopping and dining in Cancun is pretty close to each other centrally, or a short enough cab ride that it wouldn't justify the $70-$80 per day for a vehicle big enough for y'all.
Also, the driving is a little hairy there - mostly cabs in a big hurry. (You might also think about the bus - cheap and runs all over the place on a regular schedule and - I think - fun!)

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Jamin

Hi Nancy:
Thanks for the prompt reply.
I don't know if the weekly rent of a van opposed to the daily renting of a van makes it worthwile renting on a dialy basis.
There are some things one deffinitely want to do: Tulum, PDC, XelHa or Xcaret (haven't decided since there is a tread going around about a death in the river run). We feel that if we take tours, it would increase cost vs. renting. Do you have any car rental you would recommend?

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Jamin

Nancy:
While I'm at it, would you recommend bug repellent? We would be travelling May- June.

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Nancy

Hi again,
You do definitely need to go to both Tulum and PDC, and I would suggest a vehicle for PDC as it will give you a lot more freedom - plan to spend most of the day - the beach there is incredible. From the Cancun hotels, they do run tours to Tulum on huge, fast air conditioned luxury buses with BEER. They stop at one place on the way for shopping and it's so much easier to let them do the driving, and you also have a guide to take you through the ruins.
We didn't care for Xel Ha - if you have kids, they'd like it, and decided against Xcaret also - too touristy - but it's just the two of us, and we don't like stuff like that. Again, kids would have a blast.
Definitely need bug spray if going anywhere interior - say Chichen Itza, Coba - but not too bad on the coast.
As far as rentals go, we got ours through locogringo.com, but there are lots of regular national chains like Hertz, etc. that operate out of the Cancun airport. May June is off-season, so you would get the best deal by bartering in person at the airport.
Have fun!

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Jamin

Sorry to bug you again, Nancy.
You seem quite knowledgeable about Cancun, so one more question.
We like Mexican food - real Mexican food, not the kind we get like fajitas, etc. Where are you able to experience typical Mexican food, not the "gringo" mex-food? Do you have any favorite restaurants?

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Nancy

Yay!
Someone going to Cancun who does not want to know where the Burger King is!!!
The 3 that are my favorites are:
1.) Maria Bonita - very nice atmosphere, great food, lots of fun.
2.) La Habichuela - romantic
3.) El Pescador - this one is in downtown Cancun and is fantastic!

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Jamin

Great - Burger King in Mexico.... What a waste of time!!!

Maria Bonita and Habichuela are downtown? Would the hotel know how to get us there?

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Nancy

Maria Bonita is in the hotel zone.
The other 2 are downtown and cabs have always known how to get there - although you could ask the driver when you get in...

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:03 AM
jamin

You've been great help!!!

Thanks Nancy. Let's keep it going.
Souvenirs??

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Nancy

Well, it kind of depends on what you like.
Bezillions of places to get the usual coconut shell monkeys and cheapo fun stuff.
I like the two enclosed malls - Kulkucan and Caracol - for nicer stuff -clothes, art and fine jewelry.
I think there's a new mall too.

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:22 AM
jamin

I posted a mail to you address, but it got returned as undeliverable.

Although I feel it's great for us to post on the boards, it can be of use to others, maybe it gets involved. I see that you really know your stuff there, so I took the liberty of writing to you.

Hére's a transcript of what I wrote:
Do you have any extra tips you would like to share with me? Customs,
shopping, souvenirs, what to expect PDC, Isla Mujeres.
We are 6 - people and don't know how to start organising our trip.
Is Chichen Itza (sp) worthwile? I've seen contradictory opinions on the
subject. Some say it's too long a trip, too short a stay and not really
worth it.

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Nancy

Do you have any extra tips you would like to share with me? Customs:
Customs is really not a problem as long as you don't bring anything crazy with you - drugs, etc. Depending on your flight in, it sometimes can take awhile to get through (1/2 hr - 45 min.), but it moves quickly. Be relaxed and friendly should you be singled out for more in-depth searching.

shopping, souvenirs: Most shopping is of the cutesy cheapo fun kind. (Don't buy anything made of turtle shells or coral.) But there is some absolutely beautiful silver jewelry to be had (look for the .925 stamp on all silver) and you can get some really neat resort and boutique wear at prices better than the States. Be careful with luxury items unless you really know your stuff - diamonds, gemstones, etc. (Again, the malls are best for nicer goods.)

what to expect PDC, Isla Mujeres:
PDC is VERY laid back and funky. Dress down, spend time at the gorgeous beach and eat at La Parilla or Yaxche (Mayan and yummy). PDC is extremely Bohemian and not for the uptight and stuffy. Shopping is limited, but some really cool stuff can be found there.
Isla Mujeres is very quiet and tranquil.

We are 6 - people and don't know how to start organising our trip.
I'd definitely plan a day trip over to Cozumel. (The ferry goes from PDC.) Plan to rent a jeep and spend the day driving around the island - an easy jaunt with only one main road. Another possibility is a day at Chankanaab on Cozumel - a park with incredible snorkeling and diving, a couple of nice restaurants and a great beach with chairs and palapas.

Is Chichen Itza (sp) worthwile? I've seen contradictory opinions on the
subject. Some say it's too long a trip, too short a stay and not really
worth it.
We enjoyed Chichen Izta very much, but we flew there. I imagine it would be a very long drive. An option would be for the people who really want to go to spend the $100+ per person and fly. Would not suggest for kids. Hot and a long day.

You have the right idea to get away from Cancun for some of your trip. The whole coast south of town is fantastic -places to ride horses on the beach, little bars and restaurants, neat little towns. You'll have a great time!

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:01 AM
jamin

Hey Nancy:
Hope you're online.
One quick question. Someone posted that you can either rent a boat (from the hotels) to go and see Isla Mujeres, or go on the organised tours that have music on board, etc.
Have you experienced either, and if so what would you recommend?

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Nancy

Hi again,
We went via a private boat tour the hotel arranged for us, but once we got on the island, I think we may have been steered wrong.
We told the taxi driver we wanted to go to Garrafon for snorkeling, but he dropped us off at what we think may have been a friend's beach bar with really bad food and worse snorkeling.
Ha ha! From what I have heard, the snorkeling on IM is bad because the reefs are dead.
We would love to go back to IM because we did not feel we got a true picture of the island.
If you do go on a tour there make sure it's a little more organized than our "tour."

The "booze cruise" you described gets really wild (but fun too if you go with the flow of sweating, drinking people dancing to "HOT HOT HOT!" gt;

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:05 AM
patywolf

Have l2 years of traveling in Yucatan, After april it is really hot in the ruins unless you are there at 8am. Beaches wonderful like on Isla Mujures and you must check out Playa del Carmen. For the nights down town cancun where you can visit la parrillia and pericos for lots of fun have some photos of all on my website wolfcalls.com

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:22 AM
LS

Nancy,
You seem to have a lot of really good information about Cancun. I was hoping you might be able to answer some of these questions:

-The weather forecast for Cancun seems to indicate thunderstorms every day we'll be there. Has your experience there been thatit means (this is in June) that it will be raining all day and every day? Or can you still have fun at the beach?

-We're trying to arrange for a private van to take us to Chichen Itza. We don't want to rent a car. The hotels seem to charge a huge amount (we are a party of 7 people). Do you know of any driving services or where we might look other than our hotel? (We don't want to take the public bus or a big tourist bus.) If you happen to know their rates, could you please share that information.

Thanks very much!

-

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Nancy

Hi LS,
As long as there is no lightning, I'm on the beach! It really depends on the type of system. Sometimes a really big front will stall and it's just rain with not much wind or lightning.
June is the height of rainy season in Cancun. It can rain all day every day for a week. (I hope it doesn't!)
There are a couple of nice indoor malls there, so if you have really bad weather, you can easily spend most of the day in one or both of them - but that gets old.
If you are an intrepid traveler, you can negotiate a private trip with one of the van services at the airport in Cancun, or you can look up a tour company in town when you get to the hotel. The bus tours are not bad as the buses are extremely comfortable, very fast and air conditioned, including refreshements (beer too!). They are not like the buses in the States - more like luxury coaches. We flew over from Cozumel, and I know they do have flights to Chichen Itza also from the Cancun airport. It is really neat to see the ruins from the air.
I think Aviomar does those trips. It saves a lot of time as there in an airstrip right at the ruins...
Have fun, and I hope the weather cooperates.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Kat

Jamin,
I hear bug spray is an absolute must in the interiors near the ruins.

Buy anything with lots of DEET in it. OFF! is a good choice, especially with the aloe and nice scent...it doesn't smell too disgusting. I apply every 4 hours or less because I'm popular with the bugs.

Bring another kind of outdoor spray, Austan is popular, if you'll be outside and are particularly vulnerable to mosquitoes as I am.

If you won't have A/C inside your hotel and windows will be open, get a Spira machine with fluid or tablets.

That's it! zzzzzzzz