Reload this Page >

Cancun Palace, Moon Palace, or Gran Caribe Resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Tyeese

Hello:<BR><BR>My friends and I are planning a trip to Cancun for the middle of June. Cancun has soo many hotels to choose from but it seems as if people have positive comments regarding the Palace Resorts (specifically the Cancun Palace and the Moon Palace) and the Gran Caribe Resort and Spa.<BR><BR>Our group will be mostly couples in our late 20's, not quite 30 We would like to stay somewhere that has nice rooms, goodd food, and a touch of nightlife.<BR><BR>I also would like to know if anyone has gone on the tours that are offered by the Palace Resorts and what your thoughts are. I want the good, the bad, and the ugly.<BR><BR>Have a great day<BR><BR>Tyeese

Old May 9th, 2002, 09:50 PM
Lee

Hi Tyeese,<BR><BR>Of all the resorts I think Cancun Palace is the best and that's where we stayed last August. The beach there is gorgeous! The rooms are very nice, get a superior one with the jacuzzi/sunken tub....fantastic!<BR><BR>The food is so so. The breakfast buffet was pretty disgusting (they deep fry the bacon???) but the burgers, pizza, etc are fine. There is one restaurant that requires reservations with food that is a bit more upscale. There is a dress code (khakis and sport shirt, but no tie or jacket, dresses for women) but I would definitely eat there one night during your stay. Also, you get room service once a day if you want, and that food ranks 5-6 on a 10 point scale.<BR><BR>The pool and swim up bar are great. Be sure to tip the bartenders and they will take better care of you! Their premium beer and liquor is a bit misleading. I don't consider Dos Equis nor Smirnoff vodka premium, but maybe I'm a little too picky.<BR><BR>The trip to Chitzen Itza is a must if you like that kind of thing. It makes for a very long day....be sure to stay hydrated as it is VERY hot and humid out touring the ruins. Get cash before you go as there is NO ATM out there! You leave at 7:00 a.m., it's about a 2-3 hour ride with a/c but no entertainment. You get there about 11:00 (just when the hottest part of the day begins) and you leave around 2:00 getting back to the hotel around 5:00. It's a lot of walking in the hot sun but worth if you like ruins.<BR><BR>The jungle tour is a bit misleading as it is really a "mangrove" tour, but it is real fun driving the little boats and the snorkeling good.<BR><BR>Try to learn a little Spanish if you can. I speak it fluently and it endeared me to all the staff there...they will appreciate the effort and give you extra special service.<BR><BR>I got a great package deal (3 nights with airfare for $560 per person from Miami) from Dillard's Travel....I recommend you check with them along with others.<BR><BR>Overall, considering the deal I got, it was a good value. Now had I paid $1,000 or so which is the rack rate I would have been a little disappointed. So if you can find a deal in the range that I got I would definitely recommend it.

Old May 9th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Lee

P.S. One other thing. There is some thing they really push you to do under the guise of a reception or something like that.....it is really a scam to get you to look at timeshares. Tell them absolutely no from the get go and don't waste your precious time on it!

Old May 10th, 2002, 03:59 AM
Kellie

Tyeese,<BR><BR>We are going to the Cancun Palace on June29-July 6, and we paid $1624.00 for 2 people per room, that is without airfare. It includes all of our food, drinks, taxes and tips, 2 free tours and spa services. We got a great deal from the website that I was referred to on here, www.get-me.to/cancun<BR><BR>Have a great trip! Maybe we will see you there.<BR><BR> Kellie

Old May 10th, 2002, 04:50 AM
dana

I stayed at the Gran Caribe last year and had a really nice time. I thought the food was great, the staff were friendly and helpful, and the place itself was absolutely lovely. I went with my mom (I'm 30--the trip was a relaxation/bonding gift...) and we didn't find it to be too much of a party scene. I mean, certainly, there were things to do (and drinks to drink...) if you wanted to, but we didn't, and had alot of fun. I liked it so much, I'm going back next month with my husband, because I adored Cancun, and wanted him to see it, too. <BR><BR>

Old May 10th, 2002, 07:25 PM
steve

moon palace is bigger and probably nicer, but the ocean water is awful. full of seaweed and a strange color. the ocean at the cancun palace is beautiful. i'll second the recommendation to stay away from the time share scam.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 09:50 AM
Kris

We are planning on staying at the Cancun Palace and just taking a taxi to Moon Palace to spend a day there. Moon Palace is great, but if you stay at one Palace, you can use the restaurants and pools, etc. at any of them and the taxi is less costly. That restaurant at Cancun Palace is nice. The food was almost too pretty to eat. The breakfast buffet at Moon Palace was the nicest.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:03 PM
janice

my husband and I stayed at the sun palace in july 2000, we were suppose to stay at the cancun palace but got bumped. be careful they do this alot. the cancun palace looked like a better party place the sun was laid back. we didn't mind because it was our honeymoon. they do include 2 trips which are worth it but chitzen itza is extremely long and very hot. we did the "bob" thing, that was great but paid extra for it. we did go to the moon palace for the time share thing only because they gave us 500 or 1000 pesos to spend in the gift shop which we thought was worth it, they were not pushy but it did take about an hour. they show you around the moon palace and it is fantastic. huge pool and great buffet restaurant. you can visit any of the other palaces and stay for the day. the beach at the moon was not very nice, sun palace, or cancun palace definitly better. all in all the palace resorts are great and we were treated fantastic. the sun palace does have 24 hr room service and we had a great dinner one night in our room. email me if you need more info

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 04:03 PM
jeri

I vote NO on the moon palace, TOO far away from town if you have any interest in going there. We stayed at the cancun palace, can just hop on a bus and go anywhere. We did the palace trip to the ruins that were closer than chitzen all day trip and included a snorkling stop. It was fine. As others have said you can use any palace faciities.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 08:58 PM
sally

the moon palace is not on the strip and is in the middle of no where. the cancun palace is very nice and you get to use the facilities at the other palace resorts. i have been to both the cancun palace and the gran caribe real. the gran is a deluxe resort and the service and decor of the hotel is top notch. that would be my pick