Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Cancun or Puerto Vallarta in September (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cancun-or-puerto-vallarta-in-september-1654469/)

kosberg Jun 12th, 2018 06:11 AM

Cancun or Puerto Vallarta in September

Hi there,

My husband and I are looking to go to either Cancun or Puerto Vallarta the first week in September -- any thoughts on which one to prioritize? Looking for a nice balance of things to do and relaxation.

Also, should I be worried about the rainy season the first week in September? I know there is some risk, but wanted to gauge whether or not I should consider somewhere else altogether.

Any help is much appreciated!

suze Jun 12th, 2018 08:46 AM

Yes. You should be worried about the rain :-( I *love* Puerto Vallarta, absolutely adore it and visit 2x/year. Just got back from my most recent (30th+ trip) last week.

That said... I would not go in August or September. It's not only rain but really really hot and humid and buggy. September is statistically the wettest month of the year in PV. I just don't think it would be enjoyable.

kosberg Jun 12th, 2018 10:41 AM

Helpful, thanks! Anywhere else in the Caribbean then that you would recommend or should you stay away from it all with the rain?

suze Jun 12th, 2018 11:34 AM

Personal choice really I guess and how much the weather would impact what you plan on doing... but yes the rainy season is in full swing in that longitude including Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean islands at that time of year.

At least Pacific Coast Mexico is less likely to have a hurricane, which is a consideration for most Caribbean islands or the Caribbean side of Mexico.

tom42 Jun 13th, 2018 06:55 AM

Looks like it's pretty much a wash regarding weather in these two places in September. Very similar in terms of temperature and rainfall. Looks like each place gets an average of 13 days with some rain in the month of September. I doubt very many of those are all day events. If you're still thinking of going - what are you looking for? Puerto Vallarta and Cancun are very different. I much prefer Puerto Vallarta but depends on your interests.

Stewbear Jun 13th, 2018 08:03 AM

East coast even worst chance of weather especially hurricanes. Wait at least to November for the coasts. Otherwise go to the mountains,

suze Jun 13th, 2018 08:19 AM

How about Hawaii instead? Weather is better there that time of year.

kosberg Jun 15th, 2018 11:56 AM

All helpful, thank you! We've been to Hawaii so what about Aruba? Heard that we have a better chance with weather there during this time frame.

suze Jun 15th, 2018 11:58 AM

No idea, never been to Aruba. You might want to make a new post and put it in the Caribbean forum (?) so more people see your request (since this one is about Cancun and PV) and posted under Mexico.

Stewbear Jun 18th, 2018 09:39 AM

I hit two hurricanes in a week early 1970's in the Caribbean in September so it's chacy at besr,

baldone Jun 18th, 2018 06:15 PM

So far this season, 3 tropical storms/hurricanes on Mexico's Pacific side, none on the Caribbean/gulf side.

cabron Jun 19th, 2018 06:57 AM

All 3 disturbances, some that became hurricanes, did not approach the coast, that's the big difference between the two sides of Mexico in hurricane season.

baldone Jun 20th, 2018 01:13 PM

< All 3 disturbances, some that became hurricanes, did not approach the coast, that's the big difference between the two sides of Mexico in hurricane season.>
I wonder if folks in Baja Sur and Guerrero and Oaxaca know that?

cabron Jun 21st, 2018 06:02 AM

I was replying to the poster's original question.

Cancun or Puerto Vallarta in September

blaire25 Jun 22nd, 2018 10:35 AM

Rainy season is definitely going to be a concern that time of year & considering how crazy the weather has been it may be better for you to consider other areas too.

cabron Jun 23rd, 2018 05:26 AM

We are still waiting for the Rainy Season here in PV, late this year.

cabron Jun 25th, 2018 07:07 AM

It's here now, we've had rain two nights so far, nothing daytime - yet !

maried11 Jun 27th, 2018 07:54 AM

Aruba would be a solid choice. It’s out of the hurricane belt and has great weather year round.

ericleader Jul 14th, 2018 04:40 PM

Dying to go to Cancun is it worth it?

suze Jul 15th, 2018 07:46 AM

What is your question about Cancun?