Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Cancun or Cozumel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cancun-or-cozumel-257663/)

Cynnie Sep 13th, 2002 09:33 AM

Cancun or Cozumel?

A group of 6-8 (3-4 couples) are thinking about vacationing in Cancun and Cozumel. We just returned home from the Bahamas and loved it and heard the beaches in Cancun and Cozumel are about the same. Can anyone provide input between Cancun and Cozumel and your preference. We are also thinking about renting a vacation villa versus hotel. Has anyone done that, has recommendations or any thoughts. Any information you may be able to provide would be helpful and much appreciated!!!

Nancy Sep 13th, 2002 01:45 PM

Hello Cynnie,<BR>You don't day where in the Bahamas you visited, but I'm assuming it was Grand Bahama, Nassau, etc.<BR>The beach in Cancun is actually much better. <BR>What activities or sights in the Bahamas did you really enjoy that you are looking to replicate?

terry Sep 13th, 2002 07:20 PM

I personally loved cozumel and absolutely hated Cancun. What I saw in Cancun was a long strip of large gaudy austentatious hotels and mini-resorts that line the beach one after the other. Cozumel is less developed with very few large hotels in one small section of the island. the entire island is easily accessible with some very deserted beaches on the south side, as well as some Mayan ruins, good restaraunts and cultural nightlife in the plaza. Cancun offers, among other things I'm sure, Houlihan's and lots of drunk college students.<BR>Terry

Cynnie Sep 16th, 2002 07:11 AM

Thanks for all your replies. This information is helpful. We are really looking for a place that is not so commercial, but still offers some sort of nightlife if we chose to go that route some evenings. Have any of you ever rented a villa or know of anyone who has? I've looked online and have found a few websites where you can rent a villa for really reasonable rates for a group of 6 to 8. Just want to know some pros and cons before making any decisions. Thanks again!!!

Nancy Sep 16th, 2002 08:28 AM

Cynnie,<BR>If you have it narrowed down to either one of those two, I'd select Cozumel.<BR>It's much less commercial than Cancun, and a much more authentic Mexican experience. <BR>Cancun is fun for partying, and has a gorgeous beach, but it is kind of tacky and Vegas-like.<BR>There are villas for rent on Cozumel, but you should check carefully into their location, etc., before going that route.<BR>There are very few beachfront villas on Cozumel, and they are located far away from town and would necessitate a car. They are also more expensive. <BR>There are many nice villas close to town - they are in neighborhoods one to three blocks from the beach - and some are even in town. Most of them are walled and many have pools.<BR>Another option for you might be Akumal or Playa del Carmen (an hour south of Cancun.)<BR>Look at locogringo.com. They have a LOAD of really nice villas for rent - many right on the water with a pool in Akumal. You can get a local lady to come in and cook an authentic Mexican meal and have a party, the diving and snorkeling there is fantastic, and there is some lowkey nightlife to be had.<BR>Playa is more active, and there are some neat hotels there, a lot of good restaurants, and varied nightlife.<BR>Have fun wherever you decide to go :)

Lisa Sep 17th, 2002 08:25 AM

Cynnie,<BR><BR>It depends on what you're looking for. Cancun has gorgeous beaches, gorgeous water, lots of luxurious large hotels, very americanized, very tourist oriented. Cozumel does not have gorgeous beaches, it has gorgeous snorkeling/diving, fewer hotels, mostly geared towards snorkelers/divers. If you go to Cozumel, stay at Presidente Intercontinental, best on island. It has a small beach, great snorkeling facility, etc. Cozumel feels more laid back to me, Cancun more frenzied. My favorite place now, though, is Playa del Carmen. Check it out.

Sloane Sep 18th, 2002 07:43 AM

Forget about both -- go to Playa del Carmen! It's great for couples, families, everyone! I'd suggest the Royal Hideaway if you like to be treated top notch. Otherwise there's tons of choices.

Andrew Charles Sep 19th, 2002 05:05 PM

The place that you choose to go to should correspond with the activities that you enjoy most and the length of time that you plan to stay. <BR><BR>Cozumel is one of the greatest places in the world to go snorkeling. It has the world's second largest coral reef (Australia has the largest). It's also a quieter and more relaxed environment than Cancun, with a more typical Mexican atmosphere.<BR><BR>If your looking for excitement and adventure, definitely head for Cancun. It's beaches and scenery are absolutely gorgeous. In addition, Cancun offers you an extensive number of activites to enjoy. Such activities include an array of fine restaurants (some with Mariachis performing), day trips to the Mayan ruins (Chichenitza? ...excuse the spelling), great parks such as Xcaret and Xelha, numerous shopping malls and lots of night clubs, bars and discos.<BR><BR>If this sounds like too much excitement, Cancun also offers you the opportunity to relax and just enjoy the scenery.<BR><BR>One great point that I should make is that, if you stay in the Hotel Zone, it's a very safe area with frequent and incredibly inexpensive bus transportation. The taxis are also pretty safe and inexpensive. This will provide you easy mobility, completely eliminating the need to rent a car. Furthermore, it will facilite splitting up your group on the days when everyone is in disagreement about what they would like to do.<BR><BR>I hope you find this information to be helpful.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Tia Sep 20th, 2002 11:40 AM

Cynnie:<BR><BR>I can't help you with Cancun, but i have been to Cozumel several times. Beaches are at the south side of the island and opposite side from town. I don't know about villas, but there are some very nice resorts that have private beach areas. Hotel Presidente is very nice. They have a bank of rooms at ground level with private patio areas and are directly off the beach area, the room numbers are like 2101- 21? Great for diving as well. It is about a 5 minute taxi ride to town. Also, The Fiesta Americana looks great. If you opt for a villa make sure it's south of the town and maybe even the cruise ship dock. <BR><BR>Have fun!

Lynne Sep 20th, 2002 02:10 PM

Katelyn - We are going to Aventura Spa Palace in Feb. 2003. Got any advice or pointers? I've heard some rooms are better than others, but I'm not sure where the good ones are.

TC Sep 22nd, 2002 12:09 PM

Cozumel is the place you describe. It is MUCH less commercial than Cancun but still has plenty of great restaurants and nightlife, not to mention the best diving and snorkeling. If you want a condo or villa there are many. Look for one in the Northern Hotel Zone. This would be only one mile out of town and most are on the waterfront. Condos that we particularly like are Puesta del Sol. They are huge apartments with 3-4 bedrooms and an amazing ocean view. This is however a very quiet property with no resort amenities, but in a grand location. Another good choice would be Coral Princess Resort, just a block away. Again a great ocean front location and this one with all the amenities - restauants, dive shop, car rental, etc. You can get one, two, or three bedroom units or could each have your own unit together on one floor. If you have more specific questions, I'll be happy to help. Send me a private email. We've been going to Cozumel for more than ten years and I will try to offer suggestions if I can.

Jasmine Oct 25th, 2002 04:42 PM

Is Cozumel safe? I know that one must always be smart when traveling, but some islands / destinations are known to be safer than others - any feedback appreciated!

Shecky Oct 27th, 2002 03:24 AM

I hated Cancun. Too big, too developed, too &quot;Americanized.&quot;<BR>I would recommend Playa del Carmen, just a little south of Cancun. It's a quaint Mexican town, great beaches, nice resorts. (We stayed at the Club Viva Maya. It was great.) You'll get a better taste of Mexican culture in Playa del Carmen than you'll get in Cancun. Cancun reminded me of Las Vegas. Very glitzy, fake.<BR>From Playa del Carmen you can take a 45 minute ferry over to Cozumel and spend a day there. Cozumel is kind of dumpy, in my opinion. I was not impresssed with it.<BR>