Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Cancun on points & budget. Westin or Meridien. Less malls yet accessible.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2011, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Fodorites,

We are going to Cancun and Akumal at the end of October for 10 days. Our budget for this trip is tight and made possible by my husband's SPG points in Cancun. We prefer laid back places were we can learn and enjoy the local people and culture but since we are on a tight budget, we will be using hotel points and staying five nights for free in Cancun.

Our choices are either Le Meridien or the Westin Lagunamar (one night at the beginning of trip, then Riviera Maya and back to Cancun for 4 nights). My main concern is the area where these hotels are located and the size of the hotels. We prefer a more boutiquey hotel, smaller and with a lot less loud activities on the common areas. The advantage with the Westin is that we would be staying in a studio with a small kitchen which is better for 3 people. The disadvantages for us are, bigger hotel, across the street from a mall (as I read), time share hotel and with lots of loud activities.

Le Meridien advantages seem to be a smaller place with a "quieter" atmosphere, no time share pressure. Disadvantages, next to a building construction site (supposedly, almost completed and pools not shaded in fall/winter by construction) and smaller room but with double beds.

What would sway us one way or another is perhaps the location. So the question is, does anyone know both hotels and the area in which they are located? The Westin is on kilometer 12.5 and Le Meridien is on km. 14. Are there any places to eat and markets near km. 14, (Le Meridien) and are they walkable, (we walk quite a bit in NYC)?

Thank you in advance for your advice and patience!
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 10:59 AM

The Lagunamar looks very attractive, is newer and MUCH bigger. It's right across the street from the La Isla Mall, easy walking to many restaurants. Much more crowded area than Le Meridien.
The Le Meridien is a beautiful hotel. Sadly, it's dwarfed by the new construction next door (a very tall hotel. Outside construction was very active there when I was in the area in early Aug. 11. By October, much of the outdoor construction may be done.) I can't imagine building codes allowing this resort in the US, but it's Mexico.
There are some restaurants almost right across the street from Le Meridien, very walkable, and also, I think, a small market...
There's also a very cheap and easy bus system that can take you anywhere in the hotel zone quickly, so if you're leaning to LeMeridien you won't be isolated.
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 01:15 PM

http://www.booking.com/hotel/mx/le-m...cun-resort-and

my fav of your 2 best vibe pretty better food infinity pool
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 05:47 AM

I'd probably pick Le Meridien for the pools.
I don't like the location of the Lagunamar and it's huge and very PINK/purple!
We've taken a few vacations to Mexico where we've stayed at beachfront condos in Akumal and added a couple of extra nights in the Cancun hotel zone on points.

So far we usually ended up picking the Marriott properties over the SPG ones but we have stayed at the Westin (but not the Lagunamar one).
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 05:55 AM

Here's another suggestion for you if you can stretch your budget a little. Last time we were in Cancun in April the Casa Magna Marriott had a cheap rate including breakfast so we didn't use our points (for less than $100 a night it doesn't make sense)

So I checked for October and the Marriott website is offering a get 4th night free so you pay $119 a night for 3 nights, 4th night free plus free buffet breakfast (for 2 adults plus 2 kids under 12 i think) which is excellent (eat late and call it brunch).
Great restaurants near by and a oxxo store across the street for cheap essentials like water and beer.

so spend your first night at the Meridien and last 4 at Marriott or book a rate you can cancel and decide after you have checked out le Meridien

trip report please!
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your kind and prompt replies. I'm sorry it's taken me awhile to respond.

After reading all of your advice, we decided to stay at the Le Meridien. The main risk is the big construction site (thanks for the warning Frankie) going on next door but we thought the pros outweighted the cons. Also, the pools (thank you qwovadis) sound lovely and in the fall/winter I hear the pools don't get as shaded by the new building as in the summer.

Sassy_cat, thank you for the Marriott suggestion but given that we are using all points for our stay in Cancún, the Meridien makes the most sense.

From now until then, we will keep our fingers crossed for no major storms or hurricanes in the area or anywhere else for that matter.

I'll be sure to write a trip report when we get back. Thank you again for your responses.
Vanessa
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 06:13 PM

I think you made a good choice, as long as you're aware of construction. Hope you have great weather, and a nice trip. Would love to hear you report back!
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 06:00 AM

Vanessa,
Good choice! Did you know that you can also use a combination of points and cash to stay at the Meridien (4,000 points +$60 per night).

I only suggest this in case you might have another opportunity to use points in the near future. Mexico isn't usually the best place to use points (less bang for your $points because the rates are low especially in October). Holiday dates are the exception to this rule.
Doesn't apply if you have oodles points and little opportunity to use them or if budget is the primary concern.

Have a great trip and I look forward to your report!