Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Cancun - low key beach suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cancun-low-key-beach-suggestions-1159705/)

barb50 Nov 27th, 2016 11:20 AM

Cancun - low key beach suggestions

Three adult women thinking of a first time beach vacation in Cancun area - we are not familiar with the different areas and would like a place that is low key, safe with nice beach - any suggestions would be most appreciated -

jamie99 Nov 27th, 2016 11:34 AM

Well I would not describe Cancun itself as "low key" since it has many high rise hotels. But since you used the word "area" maybe look into Isla Mujeres (mostly laid back with a beautiful calm shallow beach on Playa Norte), Puerto Morelos (small fishing village) or possibly Half Moon Bay in north Akumal.
Are you looking for a hotel, condo, or villa/house rental?
If hotel, are you looking for an AI (all-inclusive) and if so do you want AO (adults only)?
Also time of year and budget per night for lodging only would help others give better advice.

veda815 Nov 27th, 2016 01:32 PM

You might also consider Playa del Carmen as a lower key alternative to Cancun.

sylvia3 Nov 27th, 2016 04:11 PM

Playa, akumal are good options.

suze Nov 28th, 2016 10:10 AM

Isla Mujeres

suze Nov 28th, 2016 01:46 PM

What's wrong, you don't like Isla Mujeres?

Rohelio Nov 28th, 2016 03:26 PM

Why would you recommend isla Mujeres suze, when you have never been ???

suze Nov 28th, 2016 03:32 PM

I didn't say I had been there. I didn't know there were rules on Fodor's that you had to have been to a place to be able to suggest it for someone else. These people said they are not familiar with the area.

I have read a lot both online and guidebooks for the Caribbean side. And Isla Mujeres looks beautiful. Everyone I know who has gone there loves it.

AND, most importantly and the purpose of my post, it fits the request of being near Cancun but more low key, safe, and with a nice beach.

There is room for everyone to make suggestions when a question comes up. You two don't need to strain yourself playing hall monitor.

cybor Nov 29th, 2016 06:49 AM

My first question to the OP is what time of the year are you thinking of going. The reason I ask is that some of the outer lying island can be quite windy during the winter months. Some people don't mind that but I hate laying on the beach while getting beaten up with sand. The water can also be a bit too choppy to dive or snorkel for my taste.
That said, places like Cancun and Playa del Carmen can actually be somewhat low key if your going at a time when locals and those from abroad aren't on vacation. You can also find smaller or sometime larger hotels that are spread out enough that you can relax.

schmerl Nov 29th, 2016 07:01 AM

I also recommend the Playa del Carmen or Akumal areas. You don't say if you want an all inclusive resort, adults only resort, boutique hotel, etc.

tom42 Nov 29th, 2016 07:01 AM

I just got back from isla mujeres. Definitely a good choice for a low key alternative to Cancun. Very easy to get to - 20 minute ferry ride. Ferry operates every half hour.

november_moon Nov 29th, 2016 12:49 PM

We really enjoyed Tulum for low key beach time.

fngee Dec 4th, 2016 08:55 PM

how about a married couple travelling with 17 year old son? We want to travel to Cancun area etc at spring break time but avoid the parties etc. The 17 year old will need activities. Any recommendations. I like the idea of Playa Del Carmen

schmerl Dec 5th, 2016 05:25 AM

fngee,
Are you looking for an all inclusive resort, condo, boutique hotel,etc?

fngee Dec 5th, 2016 05:36 PM

I was thinking all inclusive.

schmerl Dec 6th, 2016 05:39 AM

Look into the Iberostar Paraiso resort. There are four family resorts in the complex and they are all wonderful. Lots of activities all day or you can just sit and relax. Great service, huge beach, and fantastic pools.

Stewbear Dec 6th, 2016 06:24 AM

I do not get why certain posters must critique others for stating their opinions.
I am sure most have notice the obsessive compulsive attacks by one person against me for only giving my honest thoughts on one city.
Now others are attacking Suze for writing what she believes. I just don't get it. Why we can not all state our feelings without fear of these unwarranted attacks is beyond me.

tom42 Dec 6th, 2016 08:04 AM

It is kind of weird stewbear.

suze Dec 7th, 2016 02:47 PM

It is strange and I have never understood why they do this.

Rohelio has a huge problem if I make any comment about the Caribbean side of Mexico since I have not visited there myself. Then SambaChula gets in the action.

I don't have to have BEEN there myself to know that Isla Mujeres is a laid back island destination or that Cancun has high rise resorts on a beach (just two examples). I have never stated anything dishonestly or misrepresented myself. Simply passed on facts that I know from friends, guidebooks, forums like this one.

I sometimes comment on colonial city itineraries that sound interesting (again something I have not done yet but know from studying about Mexico and researching for things that interest me) and no one ever has a problem with that.

suze Dec 8th, 2016 09:24 AM

Just today on the Europe board someone planning a honeymoon asked about Mexico (as a budget alternative to Europe) but didn't want to "just lay around on the beach".

So I suggested they look at some of the colonial cities and listed names for a few places.

Since I have not been to them myself, that post would not be allowed under Rohelio's forum guidelines.