Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Cancun: JW Marriott or Le Meridien? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cancun-jw-marriott-or-le-meridien-232227/)

Susan Jun 18th, 2002 10:07 AM

Cancun: JW Marriott or Le Meridien?

Need help deciding b/t JW Marriott & Le Meridien for Christmas week. Looking for the more luxurious of the 2 for 2 adults & 2 teens (14 & 15) oceanfront, spectacular beach for walking & swimming, great pool. What do you think?

Nancy Jun 18th, 2002 10:24 AM

I would go with the Marriott. I have stayed at several Le Meridien's and they can have spotty rooms and service.<BR>I have heard nothing but great things about the Marriott although I only had drinks there and did not stay.

Sant Jun 18th, 2002 10:36 AM

We stayed at Le Meridien Cancun last month and visited JW Marriott since they were two doors down. I'd give a small edge to JW Marriot because they have a nicer pool area, the beach is lit at night, the rooms seem to more directly face the ocean, and the just opened a 30,000 sq. ft. spa (double the size of LM's). I don't know about Marriot's service or food but it was excellent at Le Meridien, especially the breakfast buffet. We didn't get even one solicitation in the hotel or one the beach while we were there. Ultimately, I'd choose the one that had the better price, since both facilties are very nice.<BR><BR>P.S. We liked both better than the Ritz, which is two doors down on the other side of Le Meridien-- although the Ritz's restuarant looked excellent.

ann Jun 22nd, 2002 09:27 AM

hi susan,<BR>we have settled on the marriott for our August vacation, and the marriott web rates are very reasonable. Click on Marriott come out and play ads on this site...altho these probably won't work for Xmas week...<BR>I'll give a hotel review when I return!

Susan Jun 22nd, 2002 04:20 PM

Ok, Ann, I will look for your review of the Marriott in Cancun. When are you travelling & when shd. I start looking? I wonder if you cld. call it something obvious like : "Just Back for Marriott Cancun!" so it will be easy for me to find.<BR>Have a great vacation! Look fwd. to your report! We will be making our reservations in August.<BR>Susan

Susan Jun 22nd, 2002 04:22 PM

I can't type!!! Sorry... "Just Back from Marriott Cancun!"

ann Jun 22nd, 2002 08:51 PM

hi susan,<BR>we'll be traveling the 1st week of August. I'll try to name my review something very obvious :)! BTW, we have 2 teens as well, 13 & 15 ! <BR>anne

Beth Jun 23rd, 2002 03:25 PM

We stayed next door at the Marriott Casa Magna. The JW Marriott is linked to it by a skywalk. The service and breakfast buffet was excellent at the Casa Magna! They let us use the pool at the JW and it was probably the best pool in Cancun! It was not heated though. We walked up to the Le Meridien and felt their pool. They had one section heated. The pool was nice there but not as good as the JW's. We are going next Christmas too, and we have chosen the JW Marriott. The lounge chairs around the pool have big fluffy cushions on them, and there is a nice breeze around the pool. We have stayed at The Ritz Carlton before too. Now, they heat their pool like bathwater. Their food is very good, and so is their service. Their rooms are better than the Casa Magna ,but it cost alot more too.